LegacyGT.com

Rainex

yies

Yes, it's been around for more than a dozen years. It doesn't make rain fly off.....the wind does that if you drive real fast. ;) Properly applied to the glass, it helps keep the rubber on the wipers from dragging and making noise in addition to allowing water to sheet off.

Moved to 'Exterior'

Man, I love RainX. I haven't driven a car without RainX for more than 10 years. In fact, when I picked up my Legacy it was snowing and raining all at once. It was the first time I've been in those conditions without rainX forever. I thought I was going to die. lol Its a great product.

Basically what it is are about a dozen different alcohols all blended together that make a durable shield on your glass. Water just beads right up and doesn't sheet across the glass. That is incredibly useful when driving where lots of road spray is present. You know what a pain it is to pass a semi-truck in the rain and you can't see for a minute? RainX eliminates that. It is a great product that will last for 3 or 4 months between applications.

The best way that I have found to apply it is to wash the windows first. Then I squirt the RainX on the top of the glass and let it run down over about half the windshield. Then I take a shop towel folded in quarters and spread it around. This stuff is watery like paint thinner. Its not paint thinner of course, but that is what it reminds me of. Anyway, once I have all the glass covered that way I will then wash the car and make sure I wipe down the glass while I'm at it. That way there is no haze or streaking from trying to clean the excess off. If you don't wash the car after you apply rainX there have been problems with streaking and glare. The easiest way is just to do it this way before you wash the car. Then you can wash the haze off and no worries of glare.

There are similar products that are sold at car washes and JiffyLube. Stuff like Aquapel are basically the same thing. The places around here charge $20 per application of Aquapel. Since all it does differently is perhaps last longer, I don't see the point in paying for that. I would rather buy my $5 bottle of RainX that will last me for a couple years than pay $20 for something that might last a couple months longer per application. But that's just me....

Bottom line is that if you aren't using RainX then you should give it a try. Don't get the stuff in the spray bottle. That is absolute crap. I don't know what they did wrong, but it doesn't work. Get the stuff in the bottle that you have to squirt on your glass. Don't get a yellow bottled knock off either. Get the RainX brand. And forget about the FogX. It doesn't work and is a pain to use. RainX is the bomb though. I think insurance premiums should go down if you are using it. You won't be able to drive without it once you use it.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

No one else has a problem with the "film" that it leaves? during night driving, it makes my windshield look rather foggy when the oncoming lights hit it.

perhpas I used too much?

at any rate, I love the way the rain sheets off the windshield.

-Hatt

2005 Obsidian Black Legacy GT 5MT Un-Limited Sedan

IMHO, RainX is simply the greatest product of any kind ever invented. :) On the other hand, that RainX Anti-Fog stuff doesn't do jack-sh!t. I do notice that for some reason the RainX leaves a slight shimmery film on my Miata windshield, but that's never happened on my Contour / Mazda6 / LGT, so I don't know what the difference is. Something with the glass??

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Ok I need to chime in.

I lived for years in Florida where Rain-x is a must. Here are my observations....

1. Yes it works

2. Wears away too soon

3. Ruins windshield wipers, so that you MUST keep using it or replace wipers

Because of number 3 I stopped using it.

HOWEVER!

A new product is just hitting the market that was developed for the aviation world that is NOT a film like all other products. It bonds to the windshield and is supposed to work better than anything else. There was a write up about it in the paper here in Mass. The write up said tirerack.com actually was selling it now so I am giving it a try. I would suggest others look into it as well. Supposed to work well with snow, dirt, rain, you name it.

Vehicle: 04 XXXX NONE

Qty

Size and Description

Availability

Price Each

Total Price

Aquapel glass treatment

In Stock

$9.95

$9.95

[/url]FPRIVATE "TYPE=PICT;ALT=Track this order"

Your Tracking Number(s): 1Z2886500311527931

If you apply it prior to washing your car then it doesn't haze or cause glare at night. And if it is ruining your windshield wipers then it is because you are letting it get on the wipers when you apply it. I raise the wipers up and apply it and then wash the car. My wipers do not last shorter than if I wasn't using it. I feel that I still get full use out of every set of blades.

Aquapel is another more expensive option that people like. I've never had any problems with RainX, so I haven't found the reason to switch. It isn't a new product at all. It has been around almost as long as RainX has. The STP Vision Blade was Aquapel before they decided to become scarse. Sometimes you can find Aquapel on eBay for even less than $9.95. I saw someone get a box of them for like $.20 apiece a few years ago. I'm sure he made a killing selling the applications with his detailing.

OCDETAILS BLOG

No I was NOT getting it on the blades. I'm 36 years old and used it for YEARS. What happens is that the coating does wear onto the wipers and makes them useless. Unlike up here, it rains in solid sheets in Florida so that even with rain-x you MUST use your wipers to see. Once you use the wipers often enough, they are done for. I've had this discussion with many others when I lived down there who will tell you the same thing.

Now if I had lived in CA, or another state where it doesn't rain 40" a year, it probably wouldn't have been an issue. Please do not discount my experience or imply that I'm a freaking idiot (getting the rain-x on the wipers) just becasue you haven't had the same experience. I'm talking years of using the product in conditions where it put it to the test.

How old do you think I am anyway? I'm not discounting your experience, so don't discount mine without even knowing me. I know all about rain in Florida. I lived in the south for many years and understand what sheeting rain is. I am also talking from years of experience dealing with other people who have used the product in all kinds of conditions. The most common reason that the wipers wore out is because they were getting RainX on them durring application. I suppose if you use your wipers constantly then that would cause them to wear out earlier too. Stop being so paranoid. Nobody was calling you an idiot.

OCDETAILS BLOG

It's exactly what you did. You said straight out it was becasue that I had gotten them on the wipers, which implies I'm some fool that couldn't figure it out. God you are arrogant. You can't disprove a negative. Simply because YOUR experince isn't the same. No my wipers weren't wearing out in a month. When first applied, the wipers would work fine, but after a month, if I didn't keep appling Rain-x, they would be worthless. Fact. I can have at least 10 others with the same experience get on the forum. Maybe YOU don't experience it becasue you kept using rain-x therefore the wiper condition doesn't manifest itself. And by the time you realize your wipers are shot, you attributed it to normal wear.

FYI, DAMN hard to get rain-x on the wipers if you follow the directions on the bottle. Apply it with a cloth with the wipers up..let dry. MMMMM how exactly am I supposed to get it on my wipers short of squiting the rain-x on the wipers or using the cloth on the wipers????

Again, you discounted my experience which was rude and arrogant. Nothing in my statement discounted your experince. I am positive it didn't happen to you..GOOD FOR YOU. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. All you had to say was "strange, I haven't had that experience" rather than stating that I am using a simple product incorrectly

So rainX ruins wipers unless you keep applying rainX? If the rainX is causing problems with the wipers, then why would applying more of it stop the problem? You can call me arrogant if you want, but you are just plain pissy and are looking for a fight. I dont' care if you don't use RainX or not. Sounds like you found another solution anyway, so go for it. If it didn't work for you in Florida because of the conditions, then I don't see why you wouldn't be using it in MA where the situation is different. There are contradictions all over the place in what you are saying, but its just not worth it to even explain them. You are looking to get into a fight and I'm not rising to your bait. You are way to defensive about this to even discuss it with you.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I used to always apply RainX before washing my car. Since I started using the Mr. Clean Car Wash thing, I can't do that because the polymer soap in the Mr. Clean set removes the RainX from the Windows. Just an FYI.

I usually apply it afterwards now and then wet it down with a hose and wipe it one last time to remove the streaks while the windshield is wet.

LOL.....you reply to my post with your garbage illogical rebuttal, and I'm the one looking for a fight? No contradictions to what I said at all. Re-applying rain-x keeps the sheeting action of the rain happening, so the wipers don't need to be uniform across the windscreen. Once the rain-x wears away you can see the streaking from the wipers. Hence you wouldn't notice that your wipers are shot if you kept re-applying.

As I said originally, which obviously you didn't read, Rain-x works. I am trying a different product in the hopes that it lasts longer between applications. Simple as that. If you aren't trying to argue, stop replying to my posts with your inane illogical rebuttals.

My _______ never had that problem so therefore you must be wrong is using faulty logic and arguementative.

Your ignorance of the basic principles of logic is in full display.

Archived