LegacyGT.com

So i ordered borla headers!!

link138

true true. im in the process of pricing the custom exhaust. i want a header back system but they wont do a catless one :( soo keep that in mind, or let me know if u guys know of any muffler shops that will do a straight pipe

The reason they won't do it is because it's illegal. Plus, in all honesty, I went catless for quite some time and it just tosses CEL's left and right. Plus, it doesn't sound as good as you think it might. It sounds just as good with one high-flow cat. However, if you absolutely want to go catless, I would recommend having a shop do your exhaust with one high-flow cat and then have someone replace the cat with a straight piece of pipe. Any welder will be able to do that.
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

If you do go catless and you get your car inspected by a shop who looks under the car, you're screwed. If you go to a shop that discriminates against loud exhausts then you're double screwed.

If you've got the money to do a header back system, and you want something loud, get a high flow cat and a Cherry Bomb muffler. Cherry Bombs are illegal in some states (Like mine), because they're pretty much a giant resonator with no packing inside to keep things quiet. I have one that's been on a couple cars of mine, and they do bring down the noise a little, but keep the low tone of the car. I had it on my '86 F-150 inline 6 and it sounded nasty, then I straightpiped the truck (Kept the cat though) and put the Cherry Bomb on a 91 Sentra with a sidepipe. The Sentra died and I cut the Cherry Bomb off and now it's just sitting around.

Yup. I would highly recommend keeping at least 1 cat (which is also illegal as Subaru's of that year came with 2.) But, if you have one, you should pass emissions without any issues. An inspection is a completely different story though. I guess it depends on where you are. In Colorado, it is only emissions (in some counties) and I've never had a problem passing with Borla headers, one high-flow cat, and a massive Apex`i Dunk muffler.
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

gotcha, im not worried about inspection or emissions, i also dont think i could aford a high flow cat. i was tryin to replace my muffler and it went wrong lol so now im drivin without one ha so needlesss to say im tryin to make my move quick, thus the inability to put out more money. but i just found out i have a blown headgasket... so i have bigger fish to fry ha. im tryin to think of possible upgrades i can do while im there, im thinkin maybe do some head work lik a cam,porting, and a lil extra milling. or maybe just jdm longblock since my rings have 154k on them. i was also wondering if sti heads would fit on there....any ideas?

If the engine is an EJ25 then the heads would work. Good luck getting the ECU to work 100%. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, or get you added HP... But I've found with swaps like that, the biggest challenge is getting the check engine light to stay off. Not that there's a real problem, the ECU just thinks there is.... Because it's retarded.

For massive HP...

http://www.xcceleration.com/index.htm

http://www.xcceleration.com/engine-packages-raceengines.html

• 5 months later...
If the engine is an EJ25 then the heads would work. Good luck getting the ECU to work 100%. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, or get you added HP... But I've found with swaps like that, the biggest challenge is getting the check engine light to stay off. Not that there's a real problem, the ECU just thinks there is.... Because it's retarded.

For massive HP...

http://www.xcceleration.com/index.htm

http://www.xcceleration.com/engine-packages-raceengines.html

Are you saying that the 2.2L and 2.5L heads match up? The reason I ask is because I have a 96 leggy and I am looking for a new set of headers. But they all say 2.5L. Mines the 2.2L.

Archived