LegacyGT.com

New Tires?

gt05silver

I tried reading some threads offering opinions/experience/knowledge on which new tires to select. Most of the threads were alittle too deep for me.

I don't race at all, occassionally zip around town at best. My main concern is something not too noisey and something that handles fairly well in the snow, something noticably better then the re92's preferably..haha

I suppose I should include that I'm hoping to not really spend more then $140 each. Whether thats possible or not, I'm not sure.

If anyone has any opinons, ideas or otherwise helpful info, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Today was my 1st spirited drive on with my Falken 452's. They are 235/40/18 on Rota DPT's. They are an all season tire and I think they are around $140 for 18"s. Very good grip, ran with an STi on some local back roads. Minimal to no road noise. Definately added to my braking capabilities. I would buy these again. Read the reviews....

http://www.1010tires.com/tirereviews/Falken_FK-452_tire_reviews.html

Sweet! $137 per tire....

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/falken/product/submitProductSize.do?pc=18555&typ=Passenger%2FPerformance&tmn=FK+452

I think guys that you missed this "handles fairly well in the snow". Both tires are summer only :-(

OK, it seems that you want all season tires. What size? Do you want to stick with OE 215/45R17? Do you want to go wider (225/45R17)? Or maybe narrower (205/50R17)?

Life is full of choices ;-)

Wider tire should give you worse milage, better dry handling.

Narrower tire should give you better milage, better wet and snow handling.

But you can change everything just by choosing different model.

Here are baseless statements that might be true:

205/50R17 ContiExteremeContact (I do not think that such animal exists) might have higher rolling resistance (provides worse milage) than 225/45R17 Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S.

225/45R17 ContiExtremeContact might provide better snow traction than 205/50R17 Pirelli PZero Nero M&S (I think this does not exist).

Just an example that size itself does not mean that much. Pay attention though to load index and speed rating. Legacy GT I think is H or more and 87 or more.

If you want to stick with OE size then any tire place will do.

If you want to go wider or narrower then only some places will allow you to do this (I know BJs will not do this, I saw somebody mentioned that costco refused to mount different size).

I would personally recommend:

Dunlop SP SPORT 5000 (I use 225/45R17)

or

Bridgestone Potenza RE960 PP (a little bit pricier than 140 each).

Others used Continental ContiExtremeContact (both 215/45R17 and 225/45R17 are available).

If you want to spend more Michelin makes very good Pilot Sport A/S Plus or Pilot Exalto A/S (no real life experience).

Krzys

I had the kuhmo asx's on last year. it is a good tire for all seasone here in colorado. I have switched to the falkin 912's and I really like them also. 215/45/17. you will get a smoother ride with 225/45/17, that is what i race on, but my rims are 17x8 with my 225's.

The local tire shop is also pushing the Fuzion HRI. I talked to one guy on Fri., he said he has them on his car and he loves them. Spoke with another guy this morning, asking if they carried the 912's and he asked why I wanted them? I read reviews for both tires and it seemed like most that had the Fuzion weren't too happy with the winter performance. Some of the 912 reviews were more favorable, including someones post here from colorado. If they worked well in colorado, I'm sure they will do more then fine in ny. The guy this morning said he has them on his car. He recomended them to his cousin for her bmw 5 series for her trips to montreal and recomended them to a friend also.

Do these guys try to push certain brands, or do you think hes being genuine? I first asked for a price quote before he got into all this, he almost got off the phone without giving me the quote. Then he said the Fuzion's are much cheaper, but its only $18 difference per tire. Something sounds shady to me, maybe I'm just paranoid? haha

Stan, I took a quick peek at them and realized there were summers too, Someone asked what size I was looking for, I guess I should have mentioned that in the first post, I'm going to stick with the originaly size 215/45 17

I just got a set of Falken 912s (225/40 18) as summer tires (three season actually) for MY06 LGT even though they are called Performance All Season. If you Google Falken 912 Reviews you will see that there are some concerns expressed for that tire when used in medium to deeper snow conditions. I have dedicated snow tires for use during the winter.

Lloyd M. 2006 GRP LGT 5EAT Sedan [For Sale]

Falken 912 were named 3 season tire by CR (Consumer Report). Their snow performance is not that good. They supposedly wear rather fast too.

Fusion is one of the brands belonging to Bridgestone. Check tirerack.com for opinions on them.

Krzys

Archived