LegacyGT.com

strange reoccuring grease all over car???

VXCL

1st time i noticed it was one week after buying my swp lgt when the dealer cleaned it after they fixed the bumper that was curbed. anyways i thought they did it and was pissed. i had to uses goo gone to get the crap off. it was on almost every body panel particularly the hood, roof and trunk. today after a good cleaning i realized my car is covered again and this time worse. WTF is this crap and where is it comming from? it takes forever to go clean all these spots. WTF!!!!!! its so damn annoying!

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Sounds like overspray from somewhere. Where do you park at?

it happened in PA and still happens 300 miles away in nj. the problem definitely exists with the car. and seem to be coming from the front because of the way the grease is on the car. it is also never on the front bumper. just everywhere else. mainly the hood and the roof.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Guest *Jedimaster*
That's bizarre. I see you're in NJ- maybe some of whatever smells in the air there is settling on your paint? How could it get there if it's not environmental. If you washed it all off and now it's back, it has to be in the air.

Its not coming from the car. Pop your hood and check things out. If its all covered in the same grease then you have a problem. Likely that isn't the case. Its coming from somewhere else and its not your car. There isn't any place for it to be spraying out of on the car for it to be that. Is it on your windshield too? This is definitely something environmental and not something wrong with the subaru.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

guys its not envirnmental. and if you dont know the meadowlands dont consist of all of nj. that is just stupid. it happened in pa when i was at college. i no longer am in pa and it still happens 300 miles away in nj. on top of that it is not on any of my other vehicles. its from the car! there is no question about it. this has been going on since i bought the car in nov. its random streaks of grease. is not like its being sprayed on. you guys are not helping.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

guys its not envirnmental. and if you dont know the meadowlands dont consist of all of nj. that is just stupid. it happened in pa when i was at college. i no longer am in pa and it still happens 300 miles away in nj. on top of that it is not on any of my other vehicles. its from the car! there is no question about it. this has been going on since i bought the car in nov. its random streaks of grease. is not like its being sprayed on. you guys are not helping.

let me help....I think its random streaks of grease......

Sounds like its coming from your front tires to me. Check them out and see if they have any sort of goop on them. Have you used any tire shine products, that stuff can be nasty. Living in the North East I drive through mud and salty mess all the time. It results in a similar streak pattern that you are describing, only with mud or salt, not grease.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1502&page=3&pp=40&highlight=mud

Post #102 give you a good idea of the tire spray pattern on our cars. If its coming from your tires I would think you would get streaks bumper to bumper on the lower sides of the car, as well as on your side mirrors.

.o0O0o.

i live in rural arkansas, and they constatly repair roads, and i get the same thing (i think), are you talkin about small streaks like 1-2mm wide and a few inches long, we get these on all the cars around here... it really sux but you get used to it. btw WD-40 also takes it off very easily, just be sure and wash and wax afterwards

What you are describing isn't something that could be coming off the tires. It would be all over the sides of the car and not the hood and roof. It couldn't be coming from the front of the car unless you have a punctured radiator that is spraying straight forward and you are driving into it. We aren't trying to be unhelpful. All you have provided is that you have streaks of grease on your car. Based on what you have told us it can't be coming from the car.

This is what your situation sounds like to me. "I noticed this large white drop on my hood the other day. I wiped it off and drove 100 miles south. Sure enough I came out and there was another white drop on the trunk. It must be coming from the car. All I'm doing is parking under trees and minding my own business.... " There is something in common with the areas you are parking your car that is causing this to happen. Perhaps you drive by the cause of this problem. All I can say is that we can't tell you for sure what it is without at least seeing a picture of it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Maybe its coming off the tires of the cars in front of him. This might result in a lot of slung tar down the center of his car from others, and a bit less on the sides of his car slung by his own tires?
.o0O0o.

That is true. That is why I asked if it was on his windshield too. The direction of the streaks is going to be key in figuring out what it is. I can't imagine it getting all over his hood and roof and yet nothing gets on the bumper. It could also be wiper fluid off the cars in front of him. All of these posibilities would be hard not to notice while you were driving though. They wouldn't just "appear" after you washed the car.

OCDETAILS BLOG

which way do the streaks look like they are going? They will be fading out toward the direction they travel. Are they going front to back or side to side? Any drips where they don't streak? Is it on the windshield or the side mirrors too? Where on the roof do they stop? Sorry for the 20 questions. Just curious. Those will help in narrowing down possible causes.

OCDETAILS BLOG

It may not be the 'natural' environment. Sprinklers going off next to your car would be considered as being part of the environment that your car is exposed to.

OCDETAILS BLOG

is it yellow when you wipe it on your hands? maybe sometimes they get a little too happy with that crap near the front and the wind just blows it .. but if it is yellow grease, then the bottom of all our cars are covered with it.

sorry for the misunderstanding but it seemed like you guys were messing with me instead of helping. i have never experienced this before. as i said before my other car does not have this problem. and again it happened in both pa for the first month i had the car and now in nj 300 miles away now that i am done with college.

its direction is defintely going front to back for the most part. ill take pics tomorrow. it cannot be smeared by touching it. it will not come off with car soap. i have never used any tire products and it is defintely not something common like that. hopefully the pics help. i was really just hoping some1 else had this probnlem so i could stop it. its is so damn annoying getting this crap off.

it is also a light color gray/brown. its does seem like it could be dirty yellow grease.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Sounds like it could be tree sap or even tar. Its hard to imagine what it could be where it appears without you noticing and then doesn't wash right off or smear when you touch it. Odd...

OCDETAILS BLOG

Its hard to imagine what it could be where it appears without you noticing and then doesn't wash right off or smear when you touch it. Odd...

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! pics to come tomm!!

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Guest *Jedimaster*
I still can't imagine the car itself producing grease over and over. Look around at the places you park- trees, chemical pants (In NJ), etc. It has to be coming form somewhere.

Any chance it's somebody messing with your car? :confused:

definitely not and the 300 miles from pa to here would have to be one determined person to jsut do something this minimal. if it was someone it would be almsot impossible to do this. it would be time consuming to replicate. better off just throwing crap on my car.

anyways it decided to snow here again in nj so ill have to wait till i wash the car again.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Archived