LegacyGT.com

Intake Question

GP2001

OK, so here is a question that has been beaten to death. I know that you shouldn't be running an intake without a tune because it makes the car run lean. However I have a Cobb Stage 2 AP, with a gutted DP and STI up pipe. Also from what I understand they don't recommend any aftermarket intake with Cobb. However, how imperative is it to get an aftermarket tune if you have an AP? Does the car still run very lean even with the AP? The one I am considering in particular is the K&N typhoon.

The cobb intake is the only one compatible with AP OTS tunes. Even running that intake, my car ran lean enough to pull timing.

Pulled timing=less power.

If you get that intake, get protuned for it. Unless you just want a louder, slower car.

If you really want a intake( I have the K&N Typhoon) and want to know if it is bad. Go to romraider and download learning view from romraider on a Laptop. If you know someone with a tactrix cable you can check to see if it is running lean. I use Opensource tuning and I scale my own intake.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I had basic stage 2 setup, with off the shelf Cobb stage 2 map. I have a LC1 wideband installed. I added a K&N Typhoon and ran a data log, my AFR went leaner immediately, can't remember how much, my logs are at home, but it was dangerous. I only did that as a one time test, what do you know, all the people on the forum who say you must tune for an intake are correct :rolleyes:.

I was switching to opensource that same day, and I scaled my MAF right after that. I have since sold my Cobb AP and am only using RomRaider and ECUflash. Really, scaling the intake was pretty easy, just time consuming as you have to log a lot. But with RomRaider tools and other peoples spreadsheets its doable even for a newb.

Archived