LegacyGT.com

March 4th SIA Plant Tour PHOTOS!!!!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thx, that was quick..!

so in another thread you said they assembled the engines at SIA. From what point, do you know? Do they get shortblock assemblies from Japan, or they start from individual components as the halves, crank, pistons, etc?

I'm not sure. If I did know... I've forgotten. :redface:

I'm surprised Subaru allowed pics. When I toured the DSM plant in Normal, IL, as part of the 1995 DSM Shootout, Mitsubishi allowed NO photos inside the building. You couldn't even get a plant guy to take the shot for you.

They had cool cars inside too, like a prototype convertible 91 Eclipse turbo (FWD, automatic) and the 1 millionth DSM off the line. We had a good Q&A with the plant guys too. Some of them rode in the faster DSMs on their testing track. It was obvious they built the cars but never imagined anyone could double the stock horsepower - they were speechless.

Heights..... I take a litte offense at that statement since I make some of that "watercolor" paint. I'm not pissed or anything.. but I thought I'd just try to clear something up.... ;)

I know that Subaru gets complaints all the time about their coatings... but I also know that the SIA plant has more than one paint supplier (by color). My RBP, for example, is DuPont paint.

To be honest... all mfg.'s are forced into using more environmentally friendly coatings... which are, by nature, less durable.

The Mfg. also spray less paint to reduce cost ($/car) and reduce weight (fuel effeciency).

So... what manufacturer are you using as a benchmark? I can tell you that almost all of them have the same issues.

My $0.02 worth.

Guest heightsgtltd

It was meant as a joke, but its something I believe.

Next thing you know we will have Bridgestone employees defending the RE-92s :lol:

I am sure that paint in general has changed, but I can tell you that our paint is substandard to friends who have Hondas, Audis, Toyotas, and the list goes on.

BTW, I had no idea you work for an autopaint company :spin:

I know you didn't. FWIW, I've had very few problems with my RBP paint (and I don't work for DuPont). ;)

Sure... I've got some nicks and dings on the nose, but for my car, with 70K miles, the paint is still in very good condition.

Archived