LegacyGT.com

Quick fix for the backup lights and ABS sensor

jrobyz

I've got a 99 gt sedan, and a while ago my ABS light in my dash would sometimes come on and then my backup lights stopped working. I took it to the dealership to have them do a diagnostic on it. After paying over 100 dollars for the diagnostic, they told me that I would need to replace a wiring harness in the trunk, which would cost another $130. My father in law works with some auto techs, and they said to first check the grounding. After some investigation, we were able to find where the lights were ground, next to the left rear tail-light. If you open the trunk, remove the trunk liner on the left side by the tail-light, there is a screw there that sticks in through the interior sheet metal that acts as a ground. We sanded off some of the paint that was around the screw, re-attached the wire, and closed everything back up again. That was 2 months ago, and everything is working perfectly. I figured I wouldn't be the only one with this problem, so hopefully I can save someone out there $200.:)

What does your ABS sensor do? is it causing the light to come on?

I wonder if I have a short for mine.. Sometimes I can go for weeks without it then out of the blue the ABS starts flashing code 52 which is telling you the system is ready..

And sometimes it will flash another code which I can't think of at the moment..

The ABS light in my dash would just come on sometimes. Sometimes it would stay on for the whole trip...sometimes for just a few minutes. And sometimes it wouldn't come on at all. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by code 52....I just have a light in my dash that simply says "ABS". Hope that helps!

• 1 year later...

Funny you posted this because the exact opposite happened to me !

Few months ago, all my tail lights would not work, despite the fact that the break lights, which are the same bulbs BTW, would work just fine. I had it checked to a garage and they fixed the problem: fuse apparently.

Now, my ABS light is ON on the dashboard :lol::lol::lol:

I'll try what you said.

Thanks

Archived