LegacyGT.com

LGT-L Manual vs. 05 S4 Manual this time...

So I went over to my buddies house with the auto 05 S4

last night to watch the F1 race is Austrailia.

He invited a buddy of his over too who has an 05 Audi S4 but

with a manual.

We of course talked cars and he wanted to see mine.

I let him drive it, he was impressed.

So I tell him, after the race, lets go out and I want to see how

well I can do against your S4...he says sure.

His car is totally stock, has 3400 miles on it.

Mine is stock (except I have 18x7.5 inch Enkei RPM2 wheels and

Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S tires (which combined are about 2.5 pounds

lighter each than stock but are .1 inches taller, which probably NEARLY

negates the rotational mass I save on the wheels/tires. I may be

1-2 hp more to the wheels, but surely not enough to really make a difference.

But I was completely full on fuel...had filled up 40 miles ago. And it's doubtful his tank was as full. So it was stock for stock!

Anyway, when we're leaving my buddies house, he says to Brendan, the guy with the manual S4, "try not to embarrass him to much."

Well....our little LGT's are faster than I give them credit for.

To eliminate all driver ability I told him let's go from a roll.

We did SEVERAL 1st and 2nd gear roll starts at various speeds, the

lowest of which was 10-15 mph.

With our windows down did we did the 1-2-3 NAIL it technique, and EACH and EVERY time I jumped a 1/2 car length on him!!

And would hold it through 2nd (60 mph)

Then we'd hit 3rd, and he'd pull up alongside and slowing start to

pull. By the top of 3rd his rear bumper was at my front, we'd hit

4th and he'd slowly pull a bit more, shutting down at 100 or so mph

his car would have about 10-12 feet of air between our bumpers.

Then we came upon a light, nobody in sight behind us, nobody in front of

us. I ask, wanna go from a stop, he says sure.

Now, I've never launched my LGT really hard yet, so this would be my first time "abusing" her a bit.

I bring revs up to 5000 as the opposing light goes yellow, right as our light hits green, I slip it out fast and the tach quickly runs right up to redline, just as I'm fully out of the clutch, and I jump 3/4 car on him, nail 2nd, holding the advantage, nail 3rd and his front bumper starts to creep into view out my passenger window, then we had to shut them down for an upcoming light.

I now also know about the "clutch stink" everyone talks about. Wow.

I was stunned. He might not have gotten a perfect launch, but having never launched my car hard before, I felt pretty d@mn good about that launch, but who knows, I might have not gotten the best launch out of her either.

We tried one run starting in 3rd, not sure the speed, but obviously I was

not in the boost (didn't look) because the minute I said go and we stuck the

pedal down, I bogged a bit and he started to pull away pretty quick. So I let up almost immediately.

I wanted to do another 3rd gear run from a slightly faster speed, so I would be in boost range, but we ran out of room on that desolute and lonely street

and didn't want to push our luck with coming by a cop, so we said

see you another time.

But the story goes, in 1st and 2nd gear, my LGT jumps 1/2 car length on the manual S4 each and every time (we did like 4-5 runs starting in 1st or 2nd gear). The V8's power comes into play in 3rd gear. It was funny, as we all know, our 3rd gear is a VERY strong gear and the first to get full boost, but the S4's third gear must really be strong, because that's the gear it pulls on us. But know this, it's a mild "walk" again, from the time we hit 3rd (about 61 mph in both cars) to the top of 3rd (about 91-92 mph in both) his S4 went from having his front bumper at my rear door to his rear bumper being at my front bumper (about a 30-35 foot gain on the S4's part. By NO means is it like the M3 running away from that EVO in that video.

Boostjunkie seemed to think I may have a "factory freak" and have a strong running car. I seem to think it's not so much that as my Skillz YO . :D J/K

I'm finally going to go dyno my car at Harman in probably 2 weekends from now.

But I'm VERY impressed with our LGT's.

I know a person or two has hit 13.9's with a stock LGT during the heat of summer..

I know for a fact now they are capable of 13.9's stock. Especially now that it's cool. I need to hit Fontana one night soon.

Sorry so long.

Edited for name correction of Brendan.

Gee finally Driver72 begins to believe that the LGT is not slow after all. Do remember that it's 340hp vs 250hp. So with that in mind, the GT is definitely no slouch. But I'm sure the G35 will cream everything cus I doubt that even the S4 would have a centre analog clock.

i have an auto but i'm tingling. i thought those v8 s4's(keep in mind i fully believe you) were posting sub 5 second 0-60 times with all the tests etc

I looked them up and one test got 4.99 seconds, another 5.1 and another 5.5 seconds to 60.

Their 1/4 times are mid 13's

I'm sure the mags launched harder than Mark (the guy with the manual S4)

so I'm sure it's POSSIBLE that an S4 could jump our cars at launch.

BUT, I also think are cars are faster to 60 than the 5.6 seconds that two magazines got, BOTH using the EXACT same test mule, that had 5K miles on it and was probably 5K heavily abused miles.

A well broken in car that's running good (like mine for example :D ) could easily hit 60 in 5.3-5.4 seconds and as the S4's times show, it clips the 1/4 mile marker about .5 seconds quicker at a couple mph faster.

Right in line with how it pulled on me once it hit 3rd and into 4th, about exactly where the 1/4 mile stripe would be.

340hp vs. 250 hp

But I think we're underrated by about 10 hp and the Audi is rated correctly.

They also only have 302 ft-lbs torque, we TRUELY probably have 265-270 ft-lbs and our cars are 500 pounds LIGHTER.

And that's the difference. Our power to weight (truly) is probably right about where the S4's is. It's just our turbos run out of breathe up top, where a V8 gets into it's stride.

But all in all, in everyday traffic, the S4 ain't got nothin on us!

Our midrange torque curve is rather Obese... once the turbo spools the car makes peak twist almost right away. I suspect that is the reason for your jump. NA engines tend to have a more linear power onset.

I keep ( half) joking with a buddy of mine that has a new model 350 z six speed that I will take him up to 120 mph and may even get him up to sixty. I know automatic tranny times are covered in other threads, but I'm beginning to think I can do it.

Some one please tell me (auto or manual) that they have gotten the best of one of these little badboys. Even better if you did it while hauling a load to the dump!!

This is not my beautiful car.

We have a 6-speed Z at home and no way an Auto LGT could keep up with it unless the driver is a complete tool.

Song of Post- Bob Marley- Stiff Necked Fools

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

i dont know....the z manual is about 5.5-6.0, lgt manual might surprise it, if people are running these times as posted in the 5 speed manual lgt along with the high 13 1/4 mile times it could be a toss up. go stage two cobb and i think it's a done deal, for maybe even the automatic legacy

This is not my beautiful car.

Well, again, after jumping the manual S4 off the line, I'd say we could also

jump a manual 350Z in the first two gears.

But, like the S4, the 350Z will begin to pull up alongside in 3rd and pull away from

there.

I think a 350Z and manual S4 have about identical 1/4 times (the S4 probably has 1 mph in the trap though.)

As for a 5EAT vs a manual 350Z....you'll lose pretty bad.

Also guys, keep in mind 0-60 times don't tell you whose out in front from a stop to

60 mph.

Think of it like the 1/4 mile time. It's not the trap time that tells you who got to the

stripe fastest, but the elapsed time.

A car that hit the 1/4 mile stripe in 14.0 @ 98 mph will "beat" another car whose

1/4 mile time is 14.2 @ 101 mph.

The first car will be ahead at the stripe, but what the trap speed tells you is that the

second car is gaining, and will pass the first car soon after the 1/4 mile stripe.

A 350Z might have a 0-60 time of 5.3 seconds but since it doesn't launch off

the line as hard or fast as the AWD LGT, it might (and probably will be) still

behind the LGT. But since the 350Z has faster ET and trap speeds, it will pass the

LGT sometime BEFORE the 1/4 mile stripe, and continue to pull away from there.

Basically just like my race with Mark in the manual S4.

Even though I was ahead at the top of 2nd (60 mph)

he began reeling me in, so he might of in fact got to 60 mph BEFORE me,

even though he was still BEHIND me a bit.

Not sure where you got 0-60 for the 350z. all the magazines that i came across posted about 5.7-5.9 times. That is in the manual LGT times.

Besides if I am to run a car on the street, it will be to may be about 80mph and shut off. And if the car is still behind me (no matter what it is) it is a KILL.

Not sure where you got 0-60 for the 350z. all the magazines that i came across posted about 5.7-5.9 times. That is in the manual LGT times.

Besides if I am to run a car on the street, it will be to may be about 80mph and shut off. And if the car is still behind me (no matter what it is) it is a KILL.

I have seen 5.7-.9 sec 0-60s for the Z too, but Motor Trend (03/2004) did get an 04 350Z Track to do 5.3 to 60 and 13.8 1/4 at 100.9.

(MT didnt test the manual LGT so who knows what they would have gotten ;) )

I think on a good day an LGT would be a good match for the 350z especially off the line, i cant wait to find out :) (and unless on a highway when maybe to 100mph, 80 would prob top it out for me too (oh yeah we live in the same area :))

I finally was able to play with a 350 while getting on the freeway. It was a three-lane light to get on the freeway. I was in lane #1 and he was in lane #3. I heard him accelerate (that great exhaust noise I wish we had) so I launched quickly. I stayed about a car ahead of him up to about 75. You should have seen the look on his face...I suppose he never lost to a "Camry." Well, now he will be a lilttle more careful when he challenges a Subaru next time! :-)

Nice run D72, thats impressive. I was sure we would be a good match against an auto s4 but an 05 manual thats awsome. Good to hear you rooting for the LGT too (I told you it was fast ;) j/k)

I know it's fast, I've owned one for 6 months. I just didn't think it was

THAT fast, especially from a roll.

But I also know other cars are fast too.

I just think the LGT is deceptive. It doesn't FEEL as fast

as it is. Other cars have a bigger hit when accelerating.

Trust me, I was the first to be surprised by the run with the manual S4.

What's strange is, when I ran my friend in his auto S4 we were

neck and neck from a pretty tame launch up to 80-90 mph.

However, my car had 700 miles on it then, his had 800.

So maybe the Subaru takes more miles to break in.

I'm going to run my buddy in his auto S4 again soon.

But he has an intake and full exhaust now. He said he now runs

pretty even with Mark in the manual S4 in an impromtu run and gun

on the street.

I just keep thinking, adding a $150 lightweight crank pulley would

make it so the S4 couldn't catch me until well into triple digit speeds.

And a $645 CAP Stage 1 would make it so it couldn't catch us at ALL!!

CD 8/02

0-60 in 5.4

1/4 in 14.1 @ 101

MT 9/02

0-60 in 5.49

1/4 in 13.95 @ 102.3

MT 3/04

0-60 in 5.3

1/4 in 13.77 @ 100.9

CD 8-03 (350Z Convertible)

0-60 in 5.5

1/4 in 14.3 @ 99

Only Road and Track really hasn't seen any times faster than 5.6 to 60

for the 350Z

I just think the LGT is deceptive. It doesn't FEEL as fast

as it is. Other cars have a bigger hit when accelerating.

Trust me, I was the first to be surprised by the run with the manual S4.

I just keep thinking, adding a $150 lightweight crank pulley would

make it so the S4 couldn't catch me until well into triple digit speeds.

And a $645 CAP Stage 1 would make it so it couldn't catch us at ALL!!

Hehe, yeah the LGT is deceptive bigtime, drives me nuts...it goes so fast but doesnt feel like it (ive found the LGT feels faster from the passenger seat actually..)

Anyways your manual S4 vs LGT story is the most exciting ive heard..keep'em coming...:)

Thanks.

I'd love to "test" how well the LGT does against a few other cars too.

1. WRX

2. 04 or newer Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

3. Honda S2000

4. 350Z

5. VW R32

All manuals and all stock.

All from a roll at various speeds.

And wouldn't mind seeing how close

I could stay to:

1. EVO

2. WRX STI

3. SRT-4