LegacyGT.com

Checking coolant temperature...

I'm needing to check the coolant temp in my wife's car (2001 Kia Optima)to verify if the gauge is reading correctly. How can I do that considering that the coolant will be hot and under pressure? Sorry for this basic question, but everything seems to be working fine (both fans come on, new radiator, not leaking or low on coolant, pump seems to be in working order, etc) but the gauge is getting into the red. Thanks,

Kyle

Apply a temperature sensor to the thermostat house or other strategic place on the engine block using epoxy glue. That will be sufficient. Metal conducts heat well enough. Try to find the temperature sensor and apply the measuring sensor beside it. You can of course use something else than epoxy glue too. Just use something that stands heat reasonably well without becoming liquid and escape. Putty, model clay or just about anything that can transfer heat and withstand temperature above the boiling point of water. That means that water based is out.

There are temperature sensors that can be just pressed onto the surface being measured too. Check what Fluke has. Like Fluke 116.

On the other hand - try to replace the thermostat, that should be sufficient. If the problem remains there is probably a problem with the temperature sensor.

453747.png

You will have to measure the temperature separately to decide if the sensor is wrong.

And since the temperature indicator is into the red - there are two options, bad sensor or hot engine. A secondary measurement using an external sensor will answer the question.

453747.png

Archived