LegacyGT.com

parking brake boot torn

dbrunone

So apparently my parking brake lever mechanism has torn through the leather boot through normal operation. The metal part inside the lever pinches the boot when I put the lever down. Anyone know where I can get a new one, or if Subaru would replace it under warranty?

So apparently my parking brake lever mechanism has torn through the leather boot through normal operation. The metal part inside the lever pinches the boot when I put the lever down. Anyone know where I can get a new one, or if Subaru would replace it under warranty?

If you're still under your bumper to bumper warranty, take it in and ask them (I'm betting they'll replace it).

If not, check out redline goods in the vendor section. They make real leather replacement shift & e-brake boots. Great quality stuff.

EDIT---Here's the link to their thread.

• 1 year later...

My parking brake boot is slipping off near the front. I don't suppose there is a thread somewhere on how to put that sucker back on?

Redline's black boot with the grey stripe and thread looks pretty good to me :)

My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

• 8 years later...

Back from the dead... I did a google search for replacing the e-brake boot and found this thread.

I emailed my buddy at my local dealership and had him order a new e-brake boot for my wagon. It will be in a on Friday.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Replaced the boot yesterday took about 5 minutes. The old one pulled off pretty easy.

I did not know the hand grip on the brake lever has pieces of leather, the lower one came loose. Looks like it will need a little adhesive to hold it back on. I'll stop by my buddies body shop and see what he thinks.

The brake lever in my 09 looks like its all plastic.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I did not know the hand grip on the brake lever has pieces of leather, the lower one came loose. Looks like it will need a little adhesive to hold it back on. I'll stop by my buddies body shop and see what he thinks.

Yeah mine was going that too several years ago, I just put some black RTV adhesive/sealant on there and stuck it back on, has been good as new since at least 2013

Been a few day's now, I didn't do anything to the leather pieces on the e-brake handle. Seems they have taken a set and are about normal, they don't seem to be loose or anything. I guess they found there way back to where they belong.

Took a look over last Saturday night while driving the Spec B, yea its e-brake is leather wrapped too.

Ended up using Elmers glue to the lower leather piece back in place. It's been fine for a long time now.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived