LegacyGT.com

Dying from heat. HELP!!

I have a 1993 Legacy Wagon. It spent its entire life in Maine and now has come down to Florida. The fan and vent are fine. However when the A/C is turned on nothing but hot air comes out.

I am wondering if there is a way to convert the A/C over to the new type of system or some way to recharge it that is cheap and efficient to do.

Any help would be great.

Thanks. :)

You should check several things....

Make sure the clutch is engaging on the AC compressor. Turn the A/C off and start the car. Look at the AC compressor (The round pump looking thing to the right of the alternator) and make sure the center part of the pulley is not spinning. Now turn the AC on and check again. The center part of the pulley (The clutch) should now be spinning. If not, the clutch is probably no good, or the wires are not functioning. If it is spinning, make sure the compressor doesn't make any clunking or clicking sounds. This would mean the compressor is broken. If no clicking, ratling, clunking, or squealing sounds are heard, chances are the system needs to be recharged. You can buy a kit at any autoparts store and follow the directions on the can to do it yourself, or find a shop that's running an AC recharge/tuneup special (They all do when it starts to get warmer out) and have them do it. If you still get no AC, chances are there's a leak somewhere. Luckily the coolant should be colored with dye (As it is naturally color, and odor free) making it easy to spot the leak.

No prob... Let us know how it works out. If you need a belt I have a brand new one you can have for free. I bought my car with no A/C belt, and when it got hot out I figured I'd fix my A/C. I bought the belt and put it on only to find the clutch was siezed. I managed to unsieze the clutch, and then I realized the compressor was broken beyond repair. I removed the belt agian to save gas (Which is probably why the belt was missing to begin with) and threw it in the trunk. It's only got about 5 miles on it. It's yours if you need it.

I am wondering if there is a way to convert the A/C over to the new type of system or some way to recharge it that is cheap and efficient to do.

Any help would be great.

Thanks. :)

I highly doubt you have the 'old' R-12 system. You shouldn't have to convert to anything

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived