LegacyGT.com

Hey E85 guys

Balrock

So, a local shop got their Cobb certificate as a pro tuner. As I believe I have all the mods needed I was going to get my E85 tune. When I called and spoke to the tuner he was not really for it. I then called the shop a couple states away and asked the guy who did my pro tune and he was not very excited about doing E85 tune. Both tuners told me their is too much inconsistency in the blend and bad things could happen. Why did I have 2 tuners from 2 states that do not know each other both tell me the same thing? Should I just go for toco? What' up with E85?

the e85 blends vari from 85% ethonal down to I think 70% by season. I think they dont want to spend the time on our fueling. I use opensource and it was no big deal. You have to enrich your mix by about 30%. If they have not done many e85 it could take them awhile. I had my e85 tuned by infamous1 you can PM him on this site.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

So, a local shop got their Cobb certificate as a pro tuner. As I believe I have all the mods needed I was going to get my E85 tune. When I called and spoke to the tuner he was not really for it. I then called the shop a couple states away and asked the guy who did my pro tune and he was not very excited about doing E85 tune. Both tuners told me their is too much inconsistency in the blend and bad things could happen. Why did I have 2 tuners from 2 states that do not know each other both tell me the same thing? Should I just go for toco? What' up with E85?

I'd bet a lotta money that you didn't call either of the popular tuning shops in Colorado (Revolutions in Colorado Springs or Super Rupair in Boulder). Call either of them if you want to hear from some confident tuners who have tuned hundreds (no exaggeration) of Subaru's on E85. The benefits are pretty substantial! :)

That said, I could mention several other shops in this state that might do E85 tunes, but I wouldn't trust them at all. Maybe you need to look around more in your locale. No way would I get an E85 tune from somebody that isn't comfortable with it. Or do what I did and read, study, and log and do it yourself. It should not be difficult for any competent tuner.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Both tuners are well versed in many areas of tuning. They both said that they could, but if the mix is not consistent that the end result could be bad. It seems to me like that would be putting 87 on my 93 protune map and hoping all was well.

From what PDX tuning told me about e85, they said they had no problem with consistency and that it creats amazing power, and since there is an e85 station about 2 miles away from me they said bring it in and we will dyno tune then fill it with e85 and we will do the same for an e85 track setup. I am excited to get to that stage... about $3,000 away lol still need IPT VB Mod and exhuast plus dyno time.

I would say try other tuners if you want e85. I gain 30whp by just adding timing with e85. Infamous1 should be able to e-tune, he did mine.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Both tuners are well versed in many areas of tuning. They both said that they could, but if the mix is not consistent that the end result could be bad. It seems to me like that would be putting 87 on my 93 protune map and hoping all was well.

I could understand the tuners' feelings if there were no E85 available in your area. But since there is, apparently, these tuners are really showing a lack of what's happening in fueling and a lack of confidence.

Ask them how they manage to tune for winter fuel, which has a mandatory 10% ethanol content.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Archived