LegacyGT.com

Track day suspension, springs or sways?

korntera

I had the same budget before my first track day. I went with Rallitek springs, AVO LCA Bushings, and Hawk HP+ pads. I was very happy with the peroformance on the track. The springs got ride of 80% of the roll/pitch/squat, and are still comfortable for DD.

The only thing i wasn't happy with were my tires, which got greasy after 15mins. They will be the next thing I replace.

If you can install the coilovers yourself, you can do the springs also. You can rent spring compressors for free from autozone. The rest is just taking off/on bolts. Don't pay $250 for the install, it's really not bad. The Ralliteks are only $200 shipped with the group buy going on rite now.

I vote for getting better tires before getting coilovers.

Yeah i just talked to my friend he said the same thing, rent the spring compressor, i didn't know that could be done. I think I am jumping on the rallitek buy, just not 100% sure i want to spend the funds, $165 for a track day or $200 for springs and i am itching to get on the track after a 2 year hiatus.

Yeah i just talked to my friend he said the same thing, rent the spring compressor, i didn't know that could be done. I think I am jumping on the rallitek buy, just not 100% sure i want to spend the funds, $165 for a track day or $200 for springs and i am itching to get on the track after a 2 year hiatus.

Do not just buy springs. The legacy is massively underdamped to start with. "Stiffer" is not better. "Feels" better but doesn't handle better

Dunlop D1 Starspecs have served me well. I'm not a fan of any Goodyear tires. Another great tire is the STi takeoffs (RE070s)

-mike

I'm not a fan of the dunlops for ax, but for the track they're fine.

I think the bridgestone RE-01Rs stiffer sidewall was better for a "heavy" car (3400lbs is heavy in this world). I've heard the RE-11 lives up to that too, but I dunno.

I'd be curious how the Kumho XS sidewall is. It took Grassroot's tire shootout.

I was down looking at tires to, the guy at the shop didn't know anaything about the Kumho XS, said they were"new", as for the bridgestone they are to expensive, $200 plus a tire vs 114 a tire for kumho, i don't need the best, just something better than good. I ordered the rallitek springs and have hawk HPS pads on the way.

I did sways first then coilover. If anyone ever ask me I will always go for sways as my very first piece of handling mod, followed by shocks/ springs or coilover. Brakes next, following by structs and all the sexy under carriage bars and braces. Try the cusco power bars, man they make you car super stiff and handling so much better on the track.

I was down looking at tires to, the guy at the shop didn't know anaything about the Kumho XS, said they were"new", as for the bridgestone they are to expensive, $200 plus a tire vs 114 a tire for kumho, i don't need the best, just something better than good. I ordered the rallitek springs and have hawk HPS pads on the way.

I am actually looking at toyo t1r's, they are reasonably priced and perform almost as well if not equal to the more expensive bridgestone and michellin tires in the same performance class. I had them when I had my honda accord and they were great for daily driving and did well at autox events.

I did sways first then coilover. If anyone ever ask me I will always go for sways as my very first piece of handling mod, followed by shocks/ springs or coilover. Brakes next, following by structs and all the sexy under carriage bars and braces. Try the cusco power bars, man they make you car super stiff and handling so much better on the track.

are the "power bars" your referring to, the underbody braces?

If daily driving is one of your goals and the only choices are springs or sways, I'd go with sways. You'll be investing more time and money in the labor required to swap out the springs and get another alignment, only to do it again once you upgrade dampers or go with coilovers.

I tracked my legacy for a whole season on the stock suspension setup. Even with the stock roll, the car has plenty of inherent grip and found the tires (Kumho mx) to be the first limiting step instead of the suspension. I went to R-compounds the next year and a streetable coilover setup.

I'm kinda wondering the same thing about an auto x and track suspension. Right now I have Perrin 22mm sways front and rear set on the stiffest settings with 18 inch Kumho SPT's, I think they are 8 inch wide.They are a half inch wider than the stock rims. Every thing else on the suspension is stock. I never ran the car totally stock other than on the street and the swaybars made a nice improvement in handling so far.

Anyways I've been to 2 auto x this year and I'm about 2 seconds off what most of the stage 1 STI's are running in auto x. I've be racing karst for about 20 years, so I know how to drive and how the car should handle and it just doesn't cut it for me. I rode in my buddy's STI and that thing handles great compared to the Legacy.

The car seems to handle ok. Turns in pretty good slalom isn't the greatest. The only thing I really notice is that the rear end is a little loose and if I get on the brakes when it is loose it will want to come around. But really the over all grip is just not there. It feels like the tires chatter, from loosing grip and sliding.

What can I do to make this thing handle like an STI without trading the car in. I have too much time and money into this thing.

I'm thinking some R-comps would make a good improvement. I'd like to do some struts and springs, but I don't have that kinda money right now. And even if I got R-comps and some springs and struts is it going to handle like an STI?

I'm kinda wondering the same thing about an auto x and track suspension. Right now I have Perrin 22mm sways front and rear set on the stiffest settings with 18 inch Kumho SPT's, I think they are 8 inch wide.They are a half inch wider than the stock rims. Every thing else on the suspension is stock. I never ran the car totally stock other than on the street and the swaybars made a nice improvement in handling so far.

Anyways I've been to 2 auto x this year and I'm about 2 seconds off what most of the stage 1 STI's are running in auto x. I've be racing karst for about 20 years, so I know how to drive and how the car should handle and it just doesn't cut it for me. I rode in my buddy's STI and that thing handles great compared to the Legacy.

The car seems to handle ok. Turns in pretty good slalom isn't the greatest. The only thing I really notice is that the rear end is a little loose and if I get on the brakes when it is loose it will want to come around. But really the over all grip is just not there. It feels like the tires chatter, from loosing grip and sliding.

What can I do to make this thing handle like an STI without trading the car in. I have too much time and money into this thing.

I'm thinking some R-comps would make a good improvement. I'd like to do some struts and springs, but I don't have that kinda money right now. And even if I got R-comps and some springs and struts is it going to handle like an STI?

You could try better street tires to start with. Kuhmo XS, Dunlop Z1, RE-11s. Pretty much everything else (except for the RE-01Rs that aren't made any more) are just not great auto-x tires. Hoosiers will give you a lot mor egrip obviously, but these will get closer than you expect.

Ypou will probably never get the LGT to handle like an STI on an autocross course. The LGT is just too damn big. On the track it could get closer.

After tires, I'd recommend coil-overs. Good ones. I have the Racecomps and I'm pretty damn happy with them. A good to great alignment will help as well. As will a corner balance.

Also worth noting that an LGt drives nothing like a kart. The STI is a bit closer. You really have to learn how to control the car, it is quite different. The STI has a front LSD which really helps control the understeer. You could upgrade the diffs, but that is expensive and time consuming.

The understeer can be controlled quite well with the gas pedal. The Power-off oversteer is a big problem with the LGT. However, a good suspension setup can help. however, this is one thing where fixing the driver can help. As I noted, these cars drive much differently than the karts you're used to. Simply, not getting into a position where lift-oversteer would occur and not be a problem is huge. And learning when it does happen to apply gas is as well.

Also, how much do your 18in wheels weigh? You'd be shocked how much of an effect those can have.

So you think the street tires with about 180 or less tread wear is going to help with grip enough I'd be happy with?

I don't know how much my rims weigh I'm sure they are on the heavier side. I'll probably try to get some curbed rims that don't look to good and some tires.

I think the car will track pretty good. On the turns that aren't real tight and on the spots that don't have a lot of transitions the car feels really good. It's just the slaloms that kill this car. Overall I can live with the way the car handles now I just need more grip.

So you think the street tires with about 180 or less tread wear is going to help with grip enough I'd be happy with?

I don't know how much my rims weigh I'm sure they are on the heavier side. I'll probably try to get some curbed rims that don't look to good and some tires.

I think the car will track pretty good. On the turns that aren't real tight and on the spots that don't have a lot of transitions the car feels really good. It's just the slaloms that kill this car. Overall I can live with the way the car handles now I just need more grip.

You'll be shocked how much grip the new high-end performance tires give. Really, i'd stick to the XS, Z1 star spec, or RE-11. The SPTs are find for a cheap street summer, but that is about it. I suspect that the Re-11 is best matched to the car (I think it has the stiffest sidewall), but they are also obscenely expensive. I have not driven anything but the Z1s on my car in that list (my favorite tires for the car so far are the discontinued RE-01Rs). I'd try the XS based on the grassroots motorsport test.

I'm not sure I'd move to R-comps before really exploring the limits of the car on streets. besides wear and cost they also don't give much warning before they break, and on the track that can suck.

I actually am pretty happy with the way my car does slaloms. The key is to stay in a situtation where you're in on the power through the whole thing. This is an area where I think suspension upgrades can help a lot. My coilovers keep my car much flatter, which makes slaloms much better. But yeah, i'd start with tires. Tight turns are my car's big problem. Getting the car to rotate is hard. The secret is to go in much slower than you think. The nice thing with the legacy is that it can accelerate out of the corner often at the apex thanks to grip, though watch out for the front tire spinning off the power (open diff FTL).

Regarding wheels. When i switch for my 20-odd lb OEM wheels to my 12 lb SSR competition track wheels, I can really feel the difference. The car does better in every way.

Tires wise I think I am going toward the dunlop ZR1s

The Kuhmo XS won grassroots motorsport's tire shootout.

I wasn't really happy with the Z1s sidewall stiffness (lack of), I don't know how the XS will do, but the Z1 was disappointing.

This matters more in autox than track though.

The Kuhmo XS won grassroots motorsport's tire shootout.

I wasn't really happy with the Z1s sidewall stiffness (lack of), I don't know how the XS will do, but the Z1 was disappointing.

This matters more in autox than track though.

I started another thread and in my which tire should i buy people said the XS after i was finally able to find some reviews from individuals as well as other sources and it seems that for the money the XS is better. I should have them on my car next tuesday, not sure when i will really be able to test them out.

In other news I put on my eBay front strut bar. I have noticed a 10 second reduction in lap times and 20 more horespower(at the wheels) from this upgrade:lol:

In other news I put on my eBay front strut bar. I have noticed a 10 second reduction in lap times and 20 more horespower(at the wheels) from this upgrade:lol:

Did they send you a sticker?

That will get you to the 50+ hp you should get.

Did they send you a sticker?

That will get you to the 50+ hp you should get.

No, i just put on the cobb sticker while doing the strut bar, I figured whats 2 hours in the garage with the strut bar, i might as well spend another hour and put a sticker on. Now I just need to find a prius to race so i can feel good about my work!

Archived