LegacyGT.com

My Car's due for a 30K

I have an 08 Legacy 2.5i LTD

I know theres been several threads related to this already, I combed them all and didn't really find any great ideas / opinions on what is necessary and what isn't. The dealer wants 540 bucks for the 30k and I'm thinking about just doing it all myself or having a mechanic (trusted) do a few of the tougher things. I'm somewhat handy, do my own oil changes, and I have access to any tools that I need (my roommate has everything) But I'm not sure of the difficulty involved for most of the services. Mainly the spark plugs and coolant flushes.

How accessible are the plugs? I've helped do them on a dodge intrepid back in the day and it was a peice of cake, but I know some cars can be a nightmare just to get at them.

Are the coolant flushes easy to handle? I have ramps and a decent sized drip tray that I use for oil changes.

I was thinking of doing:

Oil / Filter

Coolant Flush

Spark Plugs

Rotate Tires

Check Brakes

and maybe having the mechanic do:

ATF Flush

Fuel Filter Replacement

What do you guys think? Anything else I should include / disclude? The recommended guide included a bunch of bs inspections that they probably don't perform anyway. It also mentioned:

Inspect Transmission/Differential (Front & Rear) lubricants (Gear oil)

Is this bs? or are there actual lubrications I should have completed?

I'm a little weary about completing the coolant flushes as I've never done them before.

This is the full list of the recommended 30k from my dealer:

Inspect Drive belt(s) [Except camshaft]

Inspect Camshaft drive belt

Replace Engine oil

Replace Engine oil filter

Perform Replace engine coolant and inspect cooling system, hoses and connections

Recommended Performance Replace fuel filter and inspect fuel system, hoses and connections

Replace Air cleaner element

Replace Spark plugs

Inspect Transmission/Differential (Front & Rear) lubricants (Gear oil)

Inspect Automatic transmission fluid

Replace Brake fluid

Inspect Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions

Inspect Brake linings and drums

Perform Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system

Inspect Clutch operation

Inspect Steering and suspension

Perform Rotate and Inspect Tires

This is what should be done for your 30k service

Oil Change

Rotate Tires

Air filter

Change Transmission fluid

Change Coolant

Change Brake fluid

Adjust Parking brake.

Fuel filter is non serviceable and if you really want to remove the fuel pump for that, by all means. Also the plugs are platinum and get changed at 60k, not 30k.

$540 is a bit high for that service. I charge less than that for the same service above and I give you a tire balance w/ the rotation. Then again I had a customer who was quoted $1200 for her 30k for her Tribeca at another dealer, so anything is possible.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

This is what should be done for your 30k service

Oil Change

Rotate Tires

Air filter

Change Transmission fluid

Change Coolant

Change Brake fluid

Adjust Parking brake.

Fuel filter is non serviceable and if you really want to remove the fuel pump for that, by all means. Also the plugs are platinum and get changed at 60k, not 30k.

$540 is a bit high for that service. I charge less than that for the same service above and I give you a tire balance w/ the rotation. Then again I had a customer who was quoted $1200 for her 30k for her Tribeca at another dealer, so anything is possible.

$1200 wow!

Thanks for the response, scrapping the plugs and fuel filter makes this a lot more do-able. I guess I'm going to go bust out my haynes manual and read up on the coolant flushes.

449 for the "basic", 600-700~ for the "gold" and 980~ for the "Platinum" at Subaru of Puyallup

What is the difference? Honestly the 30k isn't that big of a service so there really should be no reason for it to be that much of a difference.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

my 07 service manual says that the 2.5i spark plugs should be changed at 30k, while GT should be changed at 60k. I just got mine changed at 40k, because I'm stg2, and it was a waste of money. They could have gone 60k easy.

my 07 service manual says that the 2.5i spark plugs should be changed at 30k, while GT should be changed at 60k. I just got mine changed at 40k, because I'm stg2, and it was a waste of money. They could have gone 60k easy.

Yes it does. That manual is also the same one for all vehicles. However the 2.5i has platinum plugs like the GT which gets changed at 60k. Both can go longer than 30,000 miles.

Yes it does. That manual is also the same one for all vehicles. However the 2.5i has platinum plugs like the GT which gets changed at 60k. Both can go longer than 30,000 miles.

GT plugs are Iridium. NGK SILFR6A. Maybe thats the difference.

GT plugs are Iridium. NGK SILFR6A. Maybe thats the difference.

Yes, but both do not need to be changed at 30k

Just because it is a closed system doesn't mean it stays clean. Just like any fluid it will get dirty over time especially when in a hydraulic system that can generate heat.

Wow I do all this except the spark plugs. I paid my mechanic at the end of my street $120.00 to do that. Next time I may do them my self. I'll decide before Winter get's here. I'll have 112,000 miles by then.

You should replace the fluids in the tranny and rear end. Oil changes are just something most people should be doing at a oil change place any way.

All that inspect stuff any body with a good set of eye's can do. Most of it is pretty simple. Think about.

If most people would just open the hood and look around, bend over look under the car you can see most everything. When you walk up to your car in a parking lot look it over and under as your walking up to it, look for spots in the ground, could be a leak.

Just keep a record in small note book of everything you did and the date and mileage. Any thing you don't feel good about just have a trusted mechanic do. The stealer doesn't have to do this.

The brake fluid thing is a good idea, may be. I'll bet most people never do that. Back in the mid 90's I asked a mechanic about it for my Civic. He said, that was the first he had heard of that. Ask the people you work with if they have there brake fluid changed.

I haven't done mine yet in this car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

30k dealership service is for suckers

Then don't do it or have someone else do it. Apparently I see a lot of suckers then:lol:. Then again my prices are lower than most other dealers.

How about checking for a reflash?
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Reflash for what? There has to be a particular concern that is noticed so they can see if there is an updated that may address that.

I just past 30k on my 08, and no i will not do anything till 60K. I inspected the belts and hoses my self, checked the fluids and changed the oil. Seeing how most of us on here are really into cars I Hope, I hope we could do and inspect most of this our selves.

It is your car, you can do whatever you want.

Archived