LegacyGT.com

pepsi throwback

vkchu

anybody try this stuff?

supposedly it is made w/o high-fructose corn syrup, and uses 'natural sugar' which i read to be some derivative of cane juice/sugar.

anyways, i just picked one up at my local 7-11 to give it a try, and while the retro font packaging is kinda eh, the taste isnt all that bad. i actually prefer it vs regular pepsi. think boylans or jones cause it tastes kinda similar.

now if i could only find some crystal pepsi! :lol:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I've tried it a few times when I've run across it. I really expected that I wouldn't taste any difference, and was surprised when I could. It makes Coke's "New Coke" and then "Original Formula" scheme seem brilliant.

And "natural sugar" only means it's made with sugar. I KNOW that the bottlers in northern states are using beet sugar. Not that it matters since beet sugar is virtually imperceptible from cane sugar.

as good as the throwback is, i think i still prefer a can of coke.

does coke make a natural sugar version?

i did read that somewhere about beet sugar being used-thats fine by me.

as good as the throwback is, i think i still prefer a can of coke.

does coke make a natural sugar version?

i did read that somewhere about beet sugar being used-thats fine by me.

It just depends on where you are. If you were in Florida, it would almost certainly be cane sugar being used. I know the Pepsi bottler in Worland, Wyoming was bitching about the sugar being a pain in the ass for them. Basically, they used to have conveyors to move the sugar into the mixer, but they pulled those out YEARS ago, so now they have to somehow manually lift these totes of sugar above the mixers.

I want to tell him to quit bitching and make me more of the good Pepsi! Especially since there are two sugar plants within 10 miles of him ... one is probably less than a mile. :lol:

DAMN!!!!

I need to try them....

I used to go to Mexico a LOT and down there (actually the entire Latin America) they have Cokes and Pepsis made with REAL SUGAR instead of the crap High Fructose Corn Syrup, and the taste is muuuuuch better...

Can't wait to try these!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

They have Mountain Dew throwback. Tastes SO much better then regular Dew. However... I will only have 2 or 3 a week cause soda is still soda.

hm, gotta give dew a try.

• 2 weeks later...
yes it is, I do not drink soda at all if I go out to dinner I might get a diet soda. Green tea ahahahahah

http://www.world-of-smilies.com/wos_gewalt/teufel.gif

I drink water, green tea or red wine. :)

I'd try that

Is Pepsi throwback the same as Pepsi Natural?

I bought a case of that and went through it pretty quick

I have gone to 5 cases already!

Loooove it!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Its brilliant. Price of corn syrup going up, sugar going down and 'natural' is in. What to do? Re-introduce real sugar sodas and pat themselves on the back for doing what consumers want.

Wiki:

A March 21, 2009 New York Times article said that some food companies and restaurants were using sugar in their product as a selling point, in order to attract customers who prefer not to consume high fructose corn syrup. As one example, the article cited Jason’s, a chain of delis with 200 restaurants in 27 states. The chain had replaced high-fructose corn syrup with sugar in everything except a few soft drinks. Daniel Helfman, a spokesman for the deli chain, was quoted as saying, "Part of this is a huge rebellion against HFCS... but part of it is taste." [51]

The Pittsburgh based supermarket chain Giant Eagle manufactures its own line of sodas (root beer, cola, cream soda, orange, and grape) whose front label advertises it as having "No high fructose corn syrup." [52]. Pepsi Co. have also recently put forth a "throwback" version of Mountain Dew and Pepsi-Cola. The reasoning for this second line is unknown at this time, but there is speculation that Pepsi could be attempting to make up some revenue or to capitalize on a new revenue stream as a result of the backlash against HFCS.

The problem with Pepsi is that it is VERY unlikely they will do this as a permanent offering. The cost of sugar may be down, but the plants no longer have the equipment in place to add the sugar to the mixers, and therefore it is currently very labor intensive to do so. To add the equipment would be very costly on a per-plant basis, so I doubt they will do it.

But good god I hope they do, because I sell the equipment they would need!!!

• 10 months later...

I've seen a resurgence of the "limited time" throwback Pepsi with new labeling. They still claim it's for a "limited time."

As far as the high fructose corn syrup, I gotta agree with Ridgeracer ... it's still glucose and fructose in pretty much the same proportions, but aren't chemically bonded. I'm not buying that it's the High Fructose Corn Syrup that's making people fat and causing diabetes. It's the 1.5-2 liters of soda they drink every day (800 - 1100 calories!) while sitting in their cubicle and snacking on junk food all day (chips, m&m's or whatever candy seems to be in every office), then going home and sitting on the couch after scarfing down too much food and not doing anything active. The average American needs less than 2000 calories a day, but consumes closer to 3000 (some estimates in the year 2000 put average consumption at 2700 calories a day).

But of course, it's easier to point to some minor change in the production of food than to put down the candy bar and pick up an apple. I can't wait to see all these fat f***s move away from HFCS only to find out they're still fat sedentary slobs.

I would say that it's the general amount of sugar in our food that causes problems. If it's normal sugar or some other variation really isn't that important.

Agreed. Since I have a sweet tooth and like cookies/cake I do NOT drink sugar soda. Got to limit the sugar intake SOMEhow with my sweet tooth.

Archived