LegacyGT.com

Exhaust Gas Release Valve - How It Works?

Can someone explain exactly how this works, when it moves, how it should look when it is idling, or when I move the throttle body, and anything else I might need to know to see if this thing is working correctly, and when it would cause problems if it wasn't? Thanks in advance for anyone who might be able to help. This is for a 98 Subaru Outback 2.5L.

its lets some exhaust back into the engine, inert gas that wont burn up

its to take up space in the cylinder to help the polar bears, i mean to help with emissions

edit: there is a small valve type that lets a measured amount of exhaust back into the intake. i believe ecm controls the valve, and how much it opens (how much exhaust into intake) dont remember anything else

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

It is closed at idle, because it wouldn't idle right with exhaust getting back in the engine. And it is closed at WOT to give you the most power. It is open when cruising and you don't need all the power of the engine to help with emissions.

I actually posted a good link to how it works in your other thread about why your engine doesn't work right...

I actually posted a good link to how it works in your other thread about why your engine doesn't work right...

I know, and I did read that article. Just wanted to be sure this one worked the same way. If you're interested, I took out the IACV and soaked it in gas for a few hours yesterday then put everything back together. Car seemed to run okay for a few minutes. Haven't had a chance to drive it but we'll see if that fixed it or at least made it better. If so, then I know that's the problem.

Interesting. I would think the IACV would only affect it idling. If that's the problem though, it is one of those "why the hell didn't I do that earlier" things...

Yeah, well I didn't do it earlier because I needed my car. Now that I'm home for the summer, I'm not afraid to try and take things apart, lol.

Archived