LegacyGT.com

Struts

retslo

Apperently I need front left strut.

How much is parts + install? Are there any upgrades worth of doing since I need it replaced anyways?

Also, does anyone close to 17601 or Philly area do the installs of those?

Thanks.

Struts are an easy replace. I'm not sure of price for parts depends if you want to stay stock. If you are mechanically sound it sould be a snap. I would personally rather do it my self instead of pay some other person to do it. The things you could upgrade would be either the springs or shocks, unless you plan on racing you could do coilovers (probably not what you want). Here a good walk thorugh of the process. http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38873

The only thing that would be different is if you stay stock and reuse the stock spring. If you do it your self you will need a spring compressor to get the strut apart. Also when your done you will probably need to get a front end alignment. Hope this helped...

Yeah it does help. Unfortunately I'm short on free time. Dealer gave me wonderful price of $500+ to replace it. I thought that was crazy.

Do we have anyone on the forum that can do that for me? What options should I consider now that I have to replace front anyways? New springs, ?

Thanks for replies.

you should replace both struts at the same time. otherwise you will have uneven shock absorbing if they are old struts.
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Yeah it does help. Unfortunately I'm short on free time. Dealer gave me wonderful price of $500+ to replace it. I thought that was crazy.

Do we have anyone on the forum that can do that for me? What options should I consider now that I have to replace front anyways? New springs, ?

Thanks for replies.

Maybe if you specified where you lived some one could offer to help you and also what your overall goal with your car is. If it is just going to be your daily driver and you don't plan on racing it or driving it hard then stock is fine. If you want stiffer suspension, then maybe springs or some other things. Also is money indespencible or are you on a budget for parts or what? I do agree that you will want to replace both if you already have a bunch of miles on the set.

Well, I think I did specify zip code and proximity to Philly (aka Philadelphia). Anyhow, I'm doing the struts with help of my buddy that has done suspension on couple other vehicle. I'm on some type of budget but I will spend money to get better parts on the vehicle.

At the minimum, we are doing both fronts and if time permits backs. What would be a good choice of struts/shocks for daily driver (50 miles backroads + highway)? This is a wagon with 78K on it.

Thanks for replies.

whats wrong with it that you need a new strut?

I WANT new struts.. coilovers actually.. but I dont think mine are bad or are going bad.. not after driving that 09 outback for 2 days..

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Well, I think I did specify zip code and proximity to Philly (aka Philadelphia). quote]

Hey man my bad about the city thing I guess I just missed it. Anyways I personally am going to get some rallitek springs and put them on a set of bilsteins. Springs are $250-- Bilsteins are quite a bit, I got a good deal on mine. Looks like you can get them for as cheap as $725 or $835 depending. Check out fredbeansparts.com they are in PA too don't know how close to you. I can't wait to throw mine on. I picked these springs because I'm not looking for a huge drop and these were one of the better ones I found.

We are in NNJ/CNJ and charge $200 for spring installs per car. You want to replace them in either whole car sets or at least both on a given axle. Shoot me a PM/AIM/E-mail and we can help you out on the install part, we are about 1:15 from philly.

-mike

Apperently my left front strut is leaking and it failed inspection. I don't have much of other choice besides replacing it. I'm looking at Koni Yellow Sports. Do I need springs too? I want better handling but I still like to keep ride comfortable (wife and kid rides sometimes too).

AZP/Mike - I will let you know once I decide on what I'm doing.

Deaks - any insight on installs? How about rears?

The Konis are great, but the install is a bit more than standard struts because they are inserts. For springs, you can keep the stock springs, I ran konis + stock springs for a while. We have noticed that when replacing LGT struts, the front strut tops have been bad when we've swapped the struts, so you may want to look into getting stock or group N replacement tops when you do the struts.

If you go with Konis up front, I'd go with the same ones all around.

-mike

• 1 month later...

Archived