LegacyGT.com

LGT vs 05 Maxima

There's a guy in town who has a 3.5SE with the ever-so-obnoxious plate "265HP". I've tried to run him on two different occasions, and neither time did he want anything to do with me.

If you have a plate like that, shouldn't you expect to be called out 24/7?!?!

-Casey

I was playing with one a bit last night, but we never got an opening in traffic to really get on it. From a light, he took off and I stayed right on his bumper. They are faster than I expected they would be.

There's a guy in town who has a 3.5SE with the ever-so-obnoxious plate "265HP". I've tried to run him on two different occasions, and neither time did he want anything to do with me.

-Casey

LAMO: i am not a huge street racing advocate, but man you cant bit$# out with a plate like that....in fact i think that counts as a kill:lol:

LAMO: i am not a huge street racing advocate, but man you cant bit$# out with a plate like that....in fact i think that counts as a kill:lol:

Sweet! Kill #1! :lol:

All joking aside, I don't advocate it either. Fortunately, the road I travel to and from work is a 55MPH road with several stoplights. So when I say "race", I usually mean "spirited run from 0-60."

Either way, I agree. Don't flaunt it if you can't back it up.

-Casey

My plate comes close to this full-time challenge. Although I personally don't think its quite as obnoxious. And at least my Stage 2 LGT has the power to back it up!

The new Maxima's are not as fast as the 02/03's which were 200+ pounds lighter

but had only 10 hp less.

Keep one thing in mind, most of these Maxima's you are racing are autos!!

Especially an 02/03 with the 6 speed manual, they will pull on our LGT's stock

once rolling. Obviously off the line with the FWD and torque steer, they are

that great, but I've surprised quite a few people in my 02 Max, which only

has a 4 speed auto.

The 04's and newer have the 5 speed auto (well at least the SE's do, the SL still has the 4 speed auto).

Yes it was from a light but this was in the industrial center where they are still building so at night there are no cars. It was no challenge from a stop. I'm still trying to get him to go on the highway as he says he will take me. But I don't think he will from how it felt when I was in his car.

I don't know though. And yes I too don't advocate street racing and when I do it is in short spurts to give the other car a little taste. I must admit though I do play around on the freeway a bit when there is no traffic but I do it all in moderation and I never let it get out of hand. Just some fun with a fast car.

I almost think the old Maximas were faster or is it just me. Maybe the weight?

Keep one thing in mind, most of these Maxima's you are racing are autos!!

Especially an 02/03 with the 6 speed manual, they will pull on our LGT's stock

once rolling.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Maximas. I nearly got a '02 Maxima SE, or whatever year it was they switched to the higher-output motor, instead of my LGT. I'd really like to have a go with one.

I test drove one of the 02 maxima 5 spds before I got my wrx. It was reasonably peppy, but didn't feel as fast as the wrx or like it had the handling, the interior was so-so, but the real shocker to me was how cramped it was for headroom compared to the wrx, given what a larger car it was. That seems to be true of alot of cars for whatever reason, and is a factor for me. Actually the legacy has less than my wrx did too, but I can still sit w/out cocking the seat back awkwardly. Close enough though I didn't feel I could afford to take the loss of a moonroof.

The 02's didn't come with a 5 speed.

They are 4 speed autos or 6 speed manual.

The one you test drove must have had the power seat up.

I have an 02 Maxima GLE and it's loaded with sunroof and all.

At just over 5' 10" I have LOADS of headroom.

There's more headroom, legroom, back seat room in the Max than in my LGT.

I don't think you really have bragging rights when you are boasting factory HP ratings. I mean, at least boost it beyond what it came with. Every LGT has 250HP off the line. I wouldn't brag about it unless you would be able to beat other cars of the same trim level. If you can't beat a bone stock version of your car easily in a race, then you don't have bragging rights to any of the factory specs. However, this all just goes to support my theory that there has to be something wrong upstairs in order to drive a Nissan. Every Nissan driver I have met is an a$$hole on the road. They think they can beat everybody, but when it comes time to prove it they chicken out. I've never seen a Maxima, Sentra, Altima, or any other Nissan ending with the letter 'A' win any race. lol (no offense intended to any non-a$$hole Nissan owners out there)

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I think once rolling, front wheel drive cars of similar HP can have an advantage as they don't have the weight and extra mechanisms of AWD. I haven't driven it for a while, but it seemed the Volvo V70 T5 (aprx 250 HP) I drove once had more pull than the GT at highway speeds. Of course off the line, in any rain, etc, the AWD is the bomb.

Actually I had a run it with a V70 T5 on the freeway going to Sacramento. I was going pretty slow in fifth, maybe 70ish and he pulled up next to me and gave me the nod so we both drop it. I dropped it into 3rd and we punch it. We stayed pretty even through third but as I shifted into 4th I was already starting to pull slightlyy and by the end of 4th going into 5th I had about a car and a half on him and was still pulling slightly. Our Leggys pull pretty good. I'm happy with the car's power both off the line and on the highway. Just have to drop it into the right gear at the right rpms.

MY buddy has an 02' 6 spd Maxima. I beat him with my stock 02' GTP and now my LGT. GTP had him from 0- 85 by 2-3 cars. ( raced him again after i did my SC pulley upgrade and it wasn't even funny) LGT 0 - 75ish had him by aleast 5-6 cars probably more.

MY buddy has an 02' 6 spd Maxima. I beat him with my stock 02' GTP and now my LGT. GTP had him from 0- 85 by 2-3 cars. ( raced him again after i did my SC pulley upgrade and it wasn't even funny) LGT 0 - 75ish had him by aleast 5-6 cars probably more.

An 02/03 manual Max will smoke a GTP.

The 02/03 Max's run low 14's at 98+ mph

You can read about it at Maxima.org

Here's a couple links:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=298881

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=235349

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=181529

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=169173

and their are many more over there

NO stock GTP (which are all autos) with the

breathless at higher rpm's pushrod 3.8 liter will outrun the manual 02/03 Max.

It can't outrun the auto 02/03 Max

Sorry, your buddy either:

1. Can't drive worth a shite

2. Has a Max that isn't running good or is using regular unleaded in it

3. Both

I've run with an GTP in my 02 Max, and I think I was starting to pull on him when we had to shut it down. And I have the slightly heavier GLE with an automatic tranny. Never had mine at a track, but NUMEROUS guys with

stock 02/03 auto Max's have gotten 14.7-14.8 with 93-94 mph traps.

Archived