LegacyGT.com

A New/Used 4AT

So my tranny has pretty much shit out on me and I have lost reverse due to the transmission cooler line popping off either on the freeway or right beforehand. Regardless, I lost about 13 qts. of fluid and after refilling/fixing the clamp, the car rocks forward when being put into reverse. The car also seems to make a "spraying" noise when going between 2nd-3rd gear, although nothing is spraying out.

Diagnosis?

If I do need to replace the tranny, what are my best options?

Pick n pull?

Subee dismantler?

Ebay?

Appreciate any and all help :)

Knifey any ideas since you're close?

Knifey any ideas since you're close?

Wish I did, but I know NOTHING about automatic transmissions... I can help you stick in a new tranny if you end up needing to get one though, I've taken mine out before and did a clutch job I can't imagine the A/T is much harder. Give me an excuse to use my new impact gun :lol:

I can't imagine running it without fluid did it any good though, and it sounds like it may be on its way out :icon_frow

As soon as I realized what happened with the tranny cooler line, I fixed it and refilled the fluid but by that point it was probably screwed anyways.

I figured an AT would be easier than a manual as far as replacing it but what do I know..

As far as where to look for a replacement is where I am stumped...

The manuals aren't that much harder to swap in. That's what I'm considering doing with mine.

do you mean auto to manual swap? because that is harder and needs more pieces than you would think.

First off, excuse this post if you want since I've had "A couple" to drink tonight...

If you've lost reverse, the tranny's gone. It takes a lot of transmission pressure to get into reverse. It also takes a lot of pressure to get the transmission into 3rd or 4th gear. If your car doesn't shift into reverse it means the pump is gone I believe. I had a 91 Sentra that wouldn't go into reverse or shift from 2nd to third, or third to 4th. If you pulled the tranny dipstick there were metal shavings in the fluid. A fluid/filter change did the trick for a couple hundred miles, but the tranny was still shot and pretty soon the metal shavings returned. I'd say eBay a new tranny and see what you can find.

For tons of useful information on automatic trannies, follow this link and skim through the page. http://www.familycar.com/transmission.htm

The manuals aren't that much harder to swap in. That's what I'm considering doing with mine.

Ummm... Kinda...

You need to put in a clutch master cylinder, replace the brake pedal with a manual one (Narrower one), install the clutch pedal, cut a hole in the floor for the shifter, hook up the shifter cables, install the manual tranny center console, get a flywheel with a clutch, remove the flexplate, install the manual transmission, get a new ECU/wiring harness, set up the "Hill Holder", run the hydraulic lines, plug up the tranny coolant lines in the radiator, and prey to god you didn't screw something up....

Sounds like a lot of work to me....

You have 2 conflicting things there, and one thing you don't need to do.

If you install a clutch master cylinder it is a hydraulic clutch. Meaning it doesn't have the hill holder. If it is a 1996 or earlier it is a cable activated clutch. But you don't have to install the hill holder. The hill holder is annoying anyway...

And you don't need a new ECU. You just need to wire it so that it "thinks" it is in neutral.

You will also need a new rear diff though, because the automatic has a 4.11 rear diff, and most manuals are 3.9.

There are a lot more parts than you think. The details will kill you.. shifter bushings, manual shifter boot and interior plastic shifter surround, etc, etc, etc...

Archived