LegacyGT.com

Squeels on start up then stops after a min.

I've got a 98 legacy wagon and like the title says when i first start the engine it squeels pretty loud if i rev the engine it changes the sound goes higher pitch then after usually 15 seconds it goes away only did this for a while prob last 3 weeks or so. would never do it any other time, but just the other day i was driving and while driving i would hear it again but much quieter than when it happens on startup and again would go away after ten seconds or so. I know this could just be a loose belt but have also heard this might be my water pump. Does anyone know any more symptoms if this is water pump. Or any other possibilities this could be coming from. Doesnt squeel when i turn the wheel or anything like that. Thanks for any help.

John

If it isn't a consistent squeal, then I'd say either the belt is worn, or just needs to be tightened.

It's a fairly simple job to change/tighten the belt.

If you don't know when it's been changed, you may as well buy a new one, install it, and tighten it up nice.

Messing around with a worn, stretched belt is a pain.

I've got a 98 legacy wagon and like the title says when i first start the engine it squeels pretty loud if i rev the engine it changes the sound goes higher pitch then after usually 15 seconds it goes away only did this for a while prob last 3 weeks or so. would never do it any other time, but just the other day i was driving and while driving i would hear it again but much quieter than when it happens on startup and again would go away after ten seconds or so. I know this could just be a loose belt but have also heard this might be my water pump. Does anyone know any more symptoms if this is water pump. Or any other possibilities this could be coming from. Doesnt squeel when i turn the wheel or anything like that. Thanks for any help.

John

honestly it sounds like your belt... you can check them very easily... not expensive to replace either... ive never heard of a water pump squeeling... the noise you seem to be describing soundsl like a worn belt... just check your belts...

I have this same problem. Happened almost every start up during the winter. Are you guys talking about the T-belt or the Acc. belts?

I have heard its the water pump seizing and its the none toothed side of the t-belt squeeling on the smooth gear for the water pump.

I have a 97 LGT.

Thanks!

Your timing belt itself won't squeal.

Even though the acc. belts look okay, generally they become stretched over time. I wouldn't worry too much about the A/C belt, it's usually the alternator/PS belt which does this.

^ just search... its seriously extremely simple.... took me about 10 min... just make sure you do not over tighten or under tighten the belts when you put them on... and make sure that the grooves are aligned correctly... because if not... that will cause some problems when you start the car... let us kno if that fixed the squeeling..

Archived