LegacyGT.com

torn CV boot 5EAT

Jerboa113

So, the last time I did my oil change I spotted what looked like some kind of black shiny debris on the curve of my DP. We were in sort of a hurry so I didn't investigate, chocking it up to the potential that it was spray from oil that I know had leaked onto the pan when I changed it the time before. (I left the little filter door kind of in the way)

so yesterday I was changing my brakes and while we had the rotor off I stuck my head (and camera) in there and took some pics.

There appears to be a lot of grease thats a kind of dark green color. Its spun off from the passenger side front CV boot. It appears to be torn pretty badly.

What could have caused this? and whats it gonna cost me? Can you just order the boot? I assume the repair process for this is going to be a pita and probably not something I want to do myself.

attached is the pictures I took clearly showing the tear.

any info is appreciated and thanks in advance.

102_3708.thumb.jpg.081e4323e958709b979d60b70fe67cfb.jpg

102_3706.thumb.jpg.663efc7968ddcaa68bc9cdc385845306.jpg

102_3707.thumb.jpg.f35834319874193d5ab1ad5e369b1ce1.jpg

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

looking at about $300 repair at the dealer if you caught it rather quickly, and the joint is okay; don't drive too much on it until fixed.

you can order the boot (pretty cheap), it's a bit involved though, as you said.

many think the heat from the dowpipe helps kill it; others will suggest lowering the car contributes.

it never fails, though, that one is always 1st to go.

So this is a normal failure? It has been like this for a few months as I do not often have the time to take it to the dealer. Its been a few thousand miles. What other components can be damaged due to this? The ball socket inside the output.. green.. thing?

I have 61k miles on my car, doesn't this seem a bit premature?

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Nah, they fail whenever.. hard to gauge.

Sometimes it is easier to order an entire CV joint, pull it out and replace it. Seeing as the grease is already out, sand and debris is probably inside it already... replacing the boot is almost as hard as just pulling the whole darned thing out. Although cost of a "boot" is like $20.. time and effort/labour is going to bring it closer together.

nah, that sounds about right, mine went at like 70k.

yeah, it's very common for that exact one to go.

if the joint is really borked internally, i believe you'd want to just replace the axle.

i'm not sure how long it would take to kill the joint by driving on it, but that's all you're potentially hurting, otherwise i don't think anything else is in immediate peril.

best luck.

Mine went at 48K last month. I am gonna see if there is anyway to wrap the d/p all the way down to around the section where it is proximal to the inner cv boot. Cost me $230.00 for the hassle. Be sure to thoroughly clean the grease off the exhaust or you will get the grease stink as it burns off for a while.

yea no stage 2 here cos I have an auto and didnt want to break it.. It hasnt been burning cos of the oem heat shield. At least its not a fire hazard! I always notice this type of thing when I'm far from home. I came to augusta for mothers day and a friend helped me do my brakes while I was here.

car is in the shop. I was a little put off when the service person put customer states burning smell in the details rater than the actual issue.

Do shops beleive that owners are idiots? I did not bring the car in for inspection I brought it in for repair.

this is my 1st time at this dealership. They gave me a loaner which was very nice of them tho.

i'm not sure how long it would take to kill the joint by driving on it, but that's all you're potentially hurting, otherwise i don't think anything else is in immediate peril.

best luck.

I cut my boot 20K ago putting in springs. All the grease flew out but it's still OK after 20K.

I cut my boot 20K ago putting in springs. All the grease flew out but it's still OK after 20K.

I didn't realize it would go that long... I was all freaked out about driving 10 miles after mine got a hole in it...

I drove about 1-2k miles on this, maybe even 3. The repair cost was appx. $250 and took a few hours. There was no damage to the axle or anything they said.

Glad to hear that... They also cleaned it up which was nice, the grease spinoff was the only reason I even knew this had happened..

Archived