LegacyGT.com

1991 GT Hesitation/Stutter/Cut Out problem

pdc

I just bought a 2001 Legacy GT Limited from a non-car guy who got fed up with it for $500. The car has a lot of miles on it 240k but is in nice condition. It's had a new tranny (auto) and new head. It runs perfect except....and this is the reason he got rid of it, It sometimes/most times studders/cuts out when tring to accelerate, even mildly. It feels to me like a spark plug problem/cylinders cutting out. But, the guy had the dealer replace the plugs and wires and it didn't fix it. The mechanic recommended changing the air/fuel ratio sensor next. But the guy was sick of spending money on the car and sold it to me. Someone suggested to me cleaning the Mass air sensor. Is that the same thing? Any suggestions? The car at times has full power and runs smooth which leads me to believe it is an electrical issue. I just found this older car forum and thought i'd try here.

Well after the car cuts out when accelerating does it start right back up? Another thing it could possibly be is the TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor). Also does the car throw any CEL codes? This does sound like it could very possibly be the TPS though because of the symptoms you are describing...

+1 TPS

Also, (And this is not likely?) check the EGR to make sure it's closing during acceleration.

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Still having this problem. It does't cut off it's power just cuts, then by feathering the gas it will"find itself" again. I tried a new coil pack cause it seemed like cylinders were cutting out but that didn't help. Someone suggested a clogged Cat, but the exhaust doesn't sound constricted. I took out the front O2 sensor to see if that made any difference, but no change with it out. I also thought that releasing some exhaust through the hole might help troubleshoot the clogged Cat idea. I'm stumped. How would the TPS cause this? Can it be tested? Any other ideas?

Well, the problem came back. I've got a new MAP sensor on the way and am confident that will be the permanent fix. The sensors were $300 even at autozone. I found an aftermarket one for $90 online @ Rock Auto. The dealer did suggest this as the next thing to replace along with a couple of O2 sensors. That's when the guy gave up because they wanted close to $1000.

I grew up in Greenwich

Archived