LegacyGT.com

Inspection Freak Out in MA

AI32

Yesterday and this morning were not fun. I took my 06 LGT to be inspected. I purchased the car from Rabydanimal on this board with most of the powertrain mods already done, and neither he nor I had any problem up until this point. I expected the inspection to be the same 20 minute deal that it was for me last year. Turns out this year, the guy decided to be a pain in the ass and fail my car because he said the exhaust was too loud. He had already put the dreaded red R on it before he ever told me anything was wrong. Its the same guy who had done it the year before, and I asked him why he passed it last year and failed it this year. He said there were "new rules". I pointed out the fully kitted 90s Mustang 302 in the corner with a valid inspection sticker and told him to tell me with a straight face that my car would be louder than it if he cranked it up. He said it was a "mechanics car". I realized at that point that he was full of shit and left. All of this was at Alans Auto Repair in Melrose, MA.

This morning I took it to another shop (pm me if you want to know) where the mechanic couldn't believe I had been failed for my sound. He said my car sounded just like his sons WRX and wasn't anywhere as loud as his Grand National :wub:. Needless to say, the guy took care of the R and gained some future business.

I had read somewhere that getting failed meant you would have to change stuff because no one else would pass you if you had been failed in the database. This isn't true. If anyone in MA is getting inspected, it may be a good idea to talk to the inspector before you lose 30 bucks for him failing you on basic stuff like tint, sound or lights. Just a heads up.

You got screwed.. the guy should have told you right out that he would fail you for it, and not taken your money nor wasted your time. He isn't legally oblidged to do it.. but basically as you said.. he was a dick.

Someone had the same issue with me before.. even said he thinks my tints are illegal etc. He checked it first, and when they were all good he said he'll continue.

ugh. i just got mine inspected at a small place in brighton/newton (pm if you want to know the place). guy was easy going and i was out in like 5 minutes. i don't have any real visibly noticeable mods besides the tint, but thats legal (at 45%).

sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Got my WRX inspected over the weekend with no problems. I have a Borla Hush which isn't too loud, but I had asked the guy a few weeks earlier when I had my wife's car inspected if they fail for exhaust and he said only if it was really loud.

it all depends of the owner i go to the same local shop every year i run 15% tint catless exhaust he says that same thing every year if you get pulled over you put all this on after it was inspected. covers both of our asses.

it all depends of the owner i go to the same local shop every year i run 15% tint catless exhaust he says that same thing every year if you get pulled over you put all this on after it was inspected. covers both of our asses.

Man, that sounds awesome... PM me the location of this little piece of heaven plz? :rolleyes:

another good and decently fast place in newton/needham (pm for info)

I Like the Avatar I had an 86 Grand National I bought new after I graduated college. I miss that car it didn't handle or do well in snow but it smoked the tires like nothing else :lol:.

Archived