LegacyGT.com

Yet another Help thread for my legacy.

Gimpy117

Some new but old issues. :spin: (1990 Legacy 2.2L 4wd auto)

1.first off is my power locks. they work from the inside when I put the fuze back in, but the key in the outside locks will not operate them on both sides!!!

i lubricated them with graphite as best I could and got a new less worn key... just in case but no dice.

2.next is my horn. It's very very touchy when I plug it in on the piggy back behind the button itself. When I just barely touch it it honks once than is stuck on...any tweaks??

3.Finally my engine light is on. I found 2 plugs under my dash that were supposed to be plugged into each other but were not... I plugged them in and was ready to kill the car at the first sign of issues. it ran fine but the light is now blinking were they maybe cables made for reporting errors? I know my light has come on before though but only for a split second and never kept on.

1. That sounds normal, I don't think the key is supposed to unlock any other door. At least it doesn't on my car.

2. Not sure about this one...

3. Those wires are supposed to be un-connected. That's the test mode switch, when they're plugged in, the CEL blinks and all your relays turn on and off. It should stay unplugged. In case you forgot, they're green connectors with 1 wire.

If your CEL stays on, get the codes pulled at an auto parts store and post them here, we can help you figure out what is wrong.

yes when I turn the key the doors will not unlock...

how much is the lock supposed to turn? it only turns like a wobble...did the 90' legacy have a door key? maybe that's my problem....or my doors were replaced...but both doors are unlikely

The 90-94's had a problem with the cylinders breaking. There's a small piece in the back that breaks over time. This is probably your problem. You can take the cylinder out, buy a replacement at an autoshop for like $20 and swap the innards of your old cylinder into the new one. Or bring both to a locksmith and he can do it. OR just put that replacement cylinder in the car, and you'll have a different key for that lock of the door.

Next, there are two pairs of connectors under the dash. A green set and a black set. You want to have BOTH disconnected when you run the car. If you connected the green pair, and it is blinking then you just cleared the ECU, and it isn't a big deal. But, the car is running in diagnostic mode, and you'd want to make sure you take those connectors apart afterwards.

Use this site to guide you through that process. http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/engine.html

The 90-94's had a problem with the cylinders breaking. There's a small piece in the back that breaks over time. This is probably your problem. You can take the cylinder out, buy a replacement at an autoshop for like $20 and swap the innards of your old cylinder into the new one. Or bring both to a locksmith and he can do it. OR just put that replacement cylinder in the car, and you'll have a different key for that lock of the door.

Next, there are two pairs of connectors under the dash. A green set and a black set. You want to have BOTH disconnected when you run the car. If you connected the green pair, and it is blinking then you just cleared the ECU, and it isn't a big deal. But, the car is running in diagnostic mode, and you'd want to make sure you take those connectors apart afterwards.

Use this site to guide you through that process. http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/engine.html

you know any places that make the parts?? how hard is the swap procedure? any instructions?

Read this thread, it has a lot of info that will help you out regarding taking it off and where to get some replacements.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=394

When you get this fixed, you'll realize you can actually lock and unlock all the doors from the outside by turning it twice to the left, or twice to the right. Pretty neat feature, if mine would work all the time.

My locks do the same thing. I never lock my car because of it. It definatly isn't factory, because when you unlock the doors it seems even my drivers door only "half" unlocks itself. The other 3 doors try to unlock, but never fully make it. Very puzzling. Probably old solenoids in the doors or something. My car looks pretty bad on the outside, so I just make sure my personal belongings (Cigarettes, cell phone, MP3 player ect...) are hidden away before leaving my car in a parking lot. Parking close to the building I'm entering, or near a very busy part of the parking lot also help give me piece of mind.

The horn issue would most definitely be in the steering wheel. That is the only place that would close the circuit and activate the horn. I'd take the cover off the steering wheel and see if the button is getting stuck when you push the button.

yes it is getting stuck I'll have to try to bend the poles to get them farther away etc...

no biggie i can just flick people off rather than honking....

the doors I really gotta look into though...

I'd take the door panel off and play with the locks. See if anything is getting jammed up in there. There has to be something in there causing interference for it not to work.

If the cylinder is broken, or the metal rod has come undone you'll see it right away.

Archived