LegacyGT.com

95 legacy electrical issues

All, hope you can help me out. I have a 95 legacy - 192k on it and recently - happened 2 times within the last week - the dash lights (ABS, Air Bag, and AT oil Temp) came on and the speedo was jumping from 0 - 50 while driving and when I came to a stop - the car totally died before even getting it into Park - and when I went to try and start it again - nothing lights up on the dash at all except the key in ignition door open alarm is going off, but there was no power to anything else in the car. I jumped it and the thing fired right up - no issues. turned off and on - no issues. ran for a few days in between the first and this last bout. Thinking ECU - any other thoughts? Replaced the jumper wire in the engine fuse box about 6 months ago - used a home made version that a Subaru Dealer parts guy gave me - it is not the OEM wire you can buy? Not sure if that had anything to do with it - the original burned up late last year. Also - weather conditions on both days was mid 70s - car was operating at normal temps - electric fan wa working prior to the defcon 5 shut down.

Any help or confirmation of my ECU theory would be appreciated. Need to get another 108k out of this beauty - just bought new 80K tires.

Thanks - I really appreciate the feedback - Newt

Hmm, that is strange. It might be the fusebox itself. That can cause funky things to happen. Make sure the battery terminal wires are on tight, since the car dies with no power to any accessories it might be related to a lack of current, but probably not.

It probably is the ECU, but you should still check these things before you go and spend money elsewhere, just in case. If you can, post a pic of the wire you're talking about too.

I'll get a pic of the wire in daylight tomorrow. Thanks - electrical always stumps me. I went over the terminals and contacts - alternator is charging well and it is feeding the battery within spec. I appreciate your insight to this - hoping someone has walked across this issue and dealt with it, as you mentioned, don't want to go out and spend on the ECU if it doesn't solve the problem.

Thanks - Newt

update - went to take it out today - started right up - ABS light stayed on - I pressed the brake pedal and the entire car shut down again - same as the other day. I tried to jump it as I did the other day and it did not work. Everything is dead - except for the infamous keys in the ignition alarm when the door is open.

Stuck on this one.

That should be fine. The more I hear about the problem the more it sounds like corroded battery terminals. Remove both battery cables, wire brush them and the battery terminals themselves, then mix up some baking soda and water in a container and pour the solution over the battery terminals and battery cables. Put the battery cables back on and tell us what happens...

Well - I could not go to bed without giving it a try - pulled the light out with a few cups of BS wash and my terminal brush - and what do you know - it fired right up. I don't know how you knew - how this would even be the problem, but it was - ran it down the street for a few miles and it did great - the termials were marginally dirty and when I put the cables back on - I metered the battery to see if I needed to jump and it was at 12.5 - so instead of jumping - I just turned the key - I can't beleive it - thank you so so so so much for your help and sticking with me.

See you elsewhere on the site - I saw some intersting ideas to get a bit more out of my wagon. Thanks again - Newt:)

Archived