LegacyGT.com

[HELP!!] Highway Vibrations

DarkOblivion000

Hey guys,

I just got a brand new set of wheels (18" Kazera Kz-a's) and had them put on, but didn't have (and didn't remember I needed) the concentric rings. So I felt a lot of highway vibrations at 60+mph.

Got the concentric rings yesterday, had them fitted and everything, rebalanced, and I STILL get vibrations at around 65-70mph. The weird thing is, it's not constant, its intermittent. So at 65-70, I'll get it, and then I'll speed up to 80, and it'll stop and then it'll come again, and then it'll feel fine for a while...

I have NEVER bumped anything with the wheels, the tires are brand new as well, the car drives perfectly at under 60mph, WHAT COULD BE WRONG???

I'm taking the car into firestone again for them to drive it and see what could be wrong. Can't be an alignment either; I have never hit anything and the car is pretty new at 17k miles. There were absolutely no problems with stock rims.

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance! :spin::spin:

When a ride disturbance comes and goes like that it could be two or three things.

1. One or more of the tires has a "force variation" issue. Usually force variation is temp sensetive too (read, bad tire

2. On or more of the wheel/tire assemblies has excessive radial runout.

3. The balance is not correct. Generally when you get a ride disturbance you need to go to a place that has the Hunter Road Force balancer. It has a drum that it presses the tire against while spinning on the balancer to duplicate road force. Sometimes the wheel and tire can be optomized to reduce excessive road force. FYI, any tire wheel assembly above 15lbs of road force will cause a vibration in our cars.

Damnit, why does it have to be so complicated. No one else seems to have problems putting on new rims... :confused:

So assuming the wheels are fine, and the tires are fine... I need a balance from a hunter road force balancer... Dealerships don't have problems balancing for cars not of their make right? (read: I can go into a Toyota dealership and get a balance?)

15lbs of road force... what does that mean? How would i measure road force?

Kumho Ecsta SPT's

Also, I got the concentric rings from the guy that bought the wheels... but I'm not sure they are a correct fit... that would be the issue if they weren't right?

I think he bought them for his GT, whereas I have a 2.5i. Would the ring sizes be the same for the two models?

OR, they could have water in the air lines and when they filled the tires they pumped some water in there. Had that happen to me once, drove me nuts!! That is usually a shake that will come and go at constant speed.

OR, they could have water in the air lines and when they filled the tires they pumped some water in there. Had that happen to me once, drove me nuts!! That is usually a shake that will come and go at constant speed.

Wow, never ever would have thought of that hahaha... unfortunately it's not a shake at constant speed... it's ONE speed range where it always happens, about 65-70mph.

Try hand torquing the lug nuts. Sometimes places will over tighten them with air tools.

Hmm, I will ask them about it...

Well I'm just going to have the firestone guys take a ride with me and switch the front/back wheels, see if we can't isolate one wheel that's doing it. I figure I bought the lifetime balance from them so might as well use it to the max :rolleyes: then if all else fails I can check out the road force bit... extra $80 I'm not really willing to spend... damn.

I have seen tires cause a vibration because of a shifted or broken belt. Its not very common on new tires, but i have seen it happen before. Unfortunately if thats the case the only cure is replacing that tire :(

Resolved.

Thanks for all the ideas guys!! There are definitely some issues here that I never would have thought of on my own.

I went back and got it balanced again; as it turns out the first guy just did a sh*tty ass job balancing it... :confused:

Sorry, now I feel like I wasted all your time, guys. Mai bahd. :spin:

Anyway drives like a dream now! :)

about those 'bumps' / bulges-is it possible that only one sidewall of the tire can get it? i usually hand inspect my tires after hitting a pothole, but if its on the inside facing the brakes, i wont be able to tell. so does a bulge mean its happened on both sides or no?

Archived