LegacyGT.com

carmax waranty help needed! signing today

family_gg

Today is the big day to sign! My car has 24k miles, is an 05 legacy gt limited (wagon+). The Carmax warranty is 1200$ per year and includes oil changes. Does anyone think it is fiscally wise to purchase 3 years of warranty? I was thinking about doing it for peace of mind, as my other car is, er... not always fully functional, and I am tired of it being that way. But 3600$ on top of the price of the car seems excessive, as I do not think I would need 3600$ worth of repairs on a car with just 24k. I do not think Carmax does the 25/50/75/100 mile service that Subaru would do on their warranty.

I am leaning on no warranty for common sense, but could use some input.

Seems like a gouge to me, $1200/yr for any car warranty is kinda crazy high. I'm a sucker and usually even buy Subaru's extended service plan, and I think that's only $500 for 3 years / 36,000 mi.

I would pass and save my pennies up for maintenance/repairs on my own. Just make sure you've had the car thoroughly checked out before buying it used.

If it only has 24k on it, then the first 12k miles is a complete waste, as those are covered by Subaru (no oil changes though).

Cool, thanks! I wasn't sure what the manufacturer warranty was like on these.

If it only has 24k on it, then the first 12k miles is a complete waste, as those are covered by Subaru (no oil changes though).

I'm not a fan of warranties and don't think 1,200/year is worth it. To be clear, the warranty is 3 years/36,000 miles. So even with 24K there is no warranty left on this vehicle.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant was that the manufacturer's warranty was gone even though there are only 24k miles on the car. Unless it sat on the showroom for a really long time, its been over 3 years since it was originally sold.

After market warrenties are nothing but a headache, for the cutomer and the shop. Where i work at it is getting to the point where we are going to start turring away warrenty work like that. The shop has to call with a quote then they always want to weasel out of paying for stuff and then they dont want to pay shop supplies or tax or want a cheaper labor rate.

The ones i deal with are mostly on RV's but i have worked with some on cars also

I would agree 1200 is quite alot for a only a year of warranty. However, I've looked at a few cars from carmax and a friend had a car from them. They all had some sort of issue. My friend had a two year old Altima that had to have the engine replaced within 200 miles of buying it. I test drove a year old Jeep (abs inop, 4x4 service, and check engine lights all on) and a 2 yr old Saab suv that had CV-joints going bad. My point...be careful about what you get, just look it over really really good. Just because it's from carmax doesn't mean it's not a used car.

Take the money and put it in an online savings account each month, if you need it for major repairs use it..... otherwise just keep adding to it and use the cash as a down payment on your next car. Remember there is a deductible as well with these warranties.

Archived