LegacyGT.com

Still Torn - STi or LGT

Im just so torn!

Im thinkin out loud here but need opinions.

On the one side the STi has so many things I am looking for in a car. Great stiff ride, power that only reminds me of an angry rhino, great handling, and the adjustable AWD system that is normally slightly rear biased - just like I like it.

Also it has a sort of image of fear to me almost - while it IS a econocar base - just seeing an STi go by makes me hit mute on my stereo in my car to listen to the beautiful sound.

But a lot of people judge you by what you drive - and in the real estate business being seen as being a kid can be bad - and this does appear to be more of a kids car.

Also the STI does not have a sunroof or leather - 2 things I could have added if it really bothered me that much. I do like the fake suede inserts tho. To me the stock STi seats were more comfy than the LGT seats as they hugged my body and I felt natural in the seat right a way.

Also the whale tail keeps growing on me as it fits the lines of the car in some strange way I never thought possible

The LGT is a sleeper. It comes with leather sunroof and heated seats. It has plenty of modifications to make it fast in a straight line - also means blowing the warranty - I plan on putting on a fair amount of miles because of work so a warranty is important to me. After owning this stupid chevy that I bring in to the shop at least every 3 months for a list longer than a grocery list after Ive been out of town for a year.... Im thankful for my warranty :)

I want to get back into racing as soon as I get a new car. STi would really allow me to do that better out of the box. Since its been 3 years now I assume Ill be extremely rusty at it.

Im a boy racer at heart! But the majority of the cars I had never screamed RICE right from purchase... In other words Im not the guy youd expect to see with the biggest wing or biggest hood scoop. But I am the guy youd expect in the fastest car at the party.

At purdue people knew me as that guy with the loud red cobra. Kind of fun :)

Also the side note - my gf loved the STi which is odd bc she never likes any car I force her to go drive with me lol.

Well I think thats enough scatered thoughts... Let me hear your thoughts!

Jeff

PS Im posting this over at imprezawrxsti as well to see their opinions :)

THAAAAAANKS for humoring me.

looks to me that the STi is what you really want but ur job requires you to have a classy ride. I bet u could get an aftermarket sunroof installed.

Tough choice but i'da say go with the LGT and the money u save by not buying the STI...use it on mods to get the LGT on Stage 2 and better handling you have the best of both worlds without compromising creature comforts and class.

The STi is a better fit for you. Plus, the STi responds well to modifications should the desire strike you. Go to www.cobbtuning.com and review their stage kits. You should then, truly, be the guy at the party with the fastest car.

I put lots of miles on my WRX with STi suspension and the firmness was not a problem (except in winter when it got a bit harsh). Passengers, however, are not always fans of the ride quality. If you travel alone, or have forgiving passengers, you should be OK.

Tom

Its strange but to me these modern jap monsters are the TRUE muscle cars of our era. They lack creature comforts but they go like hell. I just have this strange sneaky feelings that in ~20-30 years these will be the cars people collect and remember as the good ol' days. Its strange to think about todays cars being classics tomorrow :)

Jeff

I had the same issue - I wanted the STi but needed the panache and refinement of the LGT for work. Alas, the LGT won out and I have modded it to stock STi levels of power and hopefully soon will get the handling closer as well. Those times when I do have clients riding with me, they have no idea about the potential of the car I am driving.

If you have to have one car, the LGT is a better fit. I would have preferred to get the STI and then have some other car (maybe an SUV) for those days when I need to have people in the car with me.

Just got really pissed off at hte STi guys - they keep hammering to me that just bc I might have leather seats put in the STi that the car isnt for me - saying its too raw to have leahter and better stay that way. I dontthink leather seats detracts from raw-ness....

Thanks for the constructive thouhts over here - I can always count on them :)

Keep em coming!

Jeff

Honestly, MOST of the fella's that have STi's are way to cocky...I owned a 94 and 96 Impala SS and the majority of the forum members were in their 40's. It was just like this forum. Mature. It seems that people who buy STi's are younger, and less mature.

Also, the STi seats are the EXACT SAME as the wrx and 2.5rs seats, they just have a different "cover" I've seen a STi with leather seats, and it looked awesome in my opinion.

It's really up to you to get what you want. The STi is a factory race car, but the Legacy is a refined luxo sport sedan. It's fast sleek and stylish. I was in the same boat as you and went with the Legacy because it would be more comfortable for the commute I have. I ordered some parts, and it'll put me as fast as an STi. I won't handle as good as them, or brake as good but in Northern NJ where I am, the roads are $hit and to drive an STi everyday on these roads would kill me. I'd have to go to the chiropractor every week! Think about it.

If something breaks and is because of a modification you did, return it back to stock and bring it in...They can't say anything to you if it's in stock trim.

Heh some guy in supra forums put NOS on his TT melted the engine then pulled the parts and tried to bring the car in under warranty. A bunch of guys ratted him out bc it was such a crappy thing to do - under such extreme circumstances :)

Jeff

haha that's pretty funny.

I actually work at a subaru dealership, and TONS of kids come in looking at STi's and asking for test drives, and when we we say no, they either don't come back, or come back with mommy and daddy checkbook in hand. Out of all the STi's we've sold, I'd say 1/3 were bought by parents for their children. And you wouldn't believe the amount of people who come in that drive honduh's or eclipse's.

That warranty thing reminds me of a kid who blew up his trans over the summer. The car had 8,000 miles on it and second was shot. He had headers, UP, DP, larger turbo, injectors, Fuel pump, ecu, suspension, etc.... He came in with the stock wheels and the tires were down to the wear lines. This is on a car with 8,000. Also, when the took the trans apart the clutch was burnt down so far, that needed to order a assembly because it actually started scraping the bolts. The warranty claims guy came in to take a look at it and started laughing. You wouldn't believe the stories...

Oh I can bet :)

Im 23 5'4 when I go to a dealer with my OWN pocket book in hand they still think Im some kid coming for joy ride - but Im not! I wanna buy - just want to do my research without entering a contract first. In indiana they dont pull that crap with you. I went into a honda dealer and he wanted 500 bucks for a test drive I said honestly Ill just take my business elsewhere. As I walked out hte door he said hed have a yellow s2k around front in a few minutes. I really didnt like the car and told him so.

However at the time I was pulling up in a red cobra convertible - looks better than pulling up in my truck ugh.

Hell in IN they gave me the keys to a TT tt and an S4 and said go play - along with an M3 and an SS Comaro. I told them I was car shopping and needed to do research and they understood. Hell at the SVT dealer they let me take out a stage 3 rousch - wow what a car - even knowing I had no intention to buy that car.

Fun times in car shopping land :)

Jeff

It's actually really helpful driving a bunch of cars. You get to see where some are better than others, and also the way they brake, handle, etc... After driving STi's, LGT's, Turbo Outbacks, wrx's, 6cyl outbacks and turbo foresters as well as everything else on the road that i've driven, the Legacy actually rides awesome. It's on par with my mom's 525i, just my car doesn't adjust the suspension, turn the headlights into curves, have active steering......etc.. But it does ride just as good. It's nice to get a taste of everything out there.

It's funny because I just turned 20 saturday, and most of the kids would come to me because i guess they felt that i would be more likely to let them take a drive than the other guys....HA!

Archived