LegacyGT.com

e85 in DFW

Ryandigi

• 4 weeks later...

I think Mary has been mary checking the stations around here to see which ones actually serve true e85 or if it is less, so you might check with her to find out which stations are the best. It seems that e85 isn't as regulated as unleaded and the tolerances are quite varied. She is doing some valuable research into e85....I'm highly, highly debating switching to e85....just not sure what other mods (other than injectors and fuel pump) I will need to keep the car running well.

I'm afraid I will max the turbo out running e85 and thus shortening its life. I also think my clutch will need to be replaced....Can anyone chime in as to the mods they did to run e85 safely....I'm just curious how much more I would need to do.

I like that she is doing some research...we will have to get the dl from her in the future.

From everything I have read just injectors, FP, and a proper tune to run e85. It should not max out your turbo much more if anything at all if you are running a protune. It should just allow the ecu to add more timing all across the board.

Due to the grand increase in torque e85 seems to supply I would agree that a new clutch is not a bad idea. How did you like AWDtuning? When I move back to Texas in 8 months I need a new tune and think I am going to finally get protuned. Is AWDtuning the same as the COBB place in Plano?

I like that she is doing some research...we will have to get the dl from her in the future.

From everything I have read just injectors, FP, and a proper tune to run e85. It should not max out your turbo much more if anything at all if you are running a protune. It should just allow the ecu to add more timing all across the board.

Due to the grand increase in torque e85 seems to supply I would agree that a new clutch is not a bad idea. How did you like AWDtuning? When I move back to Texas in 8 months I need a new tune and think I am going to finally get protuned. Is AWDtuning the same as the COBB place in Plano?

I like AWDtuning a lot. They have tuned my car twice now and will be tuning it again on Saturday for a new tmic. Me personally, I would recommend them. I have heard nothing but good things and I've been extremely pleased with the results they've given me.

Also, they aren't affiliated with Cobb. The guys over there are separate from AWDtuning. And to be fair, I've not heard complaints directly about them. I've just never used them except to buy some parts. But I'll say you won't go wrong with AWDtuning. And keith can tune ap or os.

So if you do not mind me asking, how much did they set you back? Do they tune on a dyno or street tune? With your glowing remarks it is safe to say that AWDtuning is the company I will be using come January. Thanks for the great info!

• 4 months later...

bump for the original post and Grimlin's post on Mary's tests.

I'm considering the E85 route instead of Meth for obvious reasons, interested to hear about the quality...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Keith can mod the injectors...I was SO tempted to do an E85 tune but I want to get my other car running and a clutch will set me back more than I'd like. I'm in for results though.

Kieth can mod the injectors, or tune the injectors? Just curious if he can mod them like that witchhunt (something close to that) company will turn our 550s into 740s etc...

If so what does he cost in comparison?

Mr. Ed where do you fill up around our town? Plano or Dallas or N. Richland Hills? Emily is complaining about how it will be very hard to get gas. Glad you guys are doing it though!
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

hey guys, sorry I've been away for a while. Things have just been crazy busy around here.

But I saw that you guys had some questions about my legacy and the e-85 tune so I went a head and made a journal like thread here: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2649678#post2649678 that way you can ask me anything you want about my car and I'll be able to answer it without jacking someone else's thread. Hope this helps

BTW, It's 4am so if I made any grammar errors, sorry. I'm sure I'll catch them in the morning..

That and he keeps a 5 gallon tank just in case, just enough to get to the pump.

Though always good to have a fuel backup, how can't you make fun of this. You already have a tank and a gauge that displays its level, so running out shouldn't really be an issue unless you have no options for e85 gas less than every 20 gallons of driving, or you just aren't paying attention, or your middle name is danger and you like the adventure of running on fumes... you guys are a fun crew.

LOL, if you are between Little Elm and Houston or Austin(only 1 pump in Austin) and you have a lead foot, your gas mileage will drop horribly and you may not have enough fuel to make if to the next pump even if you know you are about to run out.

LOL, if you are between Little Elm and Houston or Austin(only 1 pump in Austin) and you have a lead foot, your gas mileage will drop horribly and you may not have enough fuel to make if to the next pump even if you know you are about to run out.

Never thought of that... Quite the hike. And AAA probably doesn't bring e85 :lol: Yeah gas can FTW then

Yeah, that was probably my biggest concern when we switched to E-85 because we travel all over the state. To be exact, if you are traveling from DFW to Austin there are pumps in both Cleburne and Waco. BUT if you are traveling from DFW to Houston it's 234 miles between pumps. The last one in DFW is in North Dallas, and then you don't have another until you get to Conroe. And yes, when we travel we always carry an extra 5 gallons in the trunk, but we hardly ever use it. But better safe than sorry.

I'll be cautionary for a moment. I've been in 2 wrecks, 1 very very bad. I can see having the spare gas can, but would say to keep it empty unless you anticipate needing more e85 before the next fill-up. If that had splashed all over the back of my car during the bad one, things could have been a lot lot worse. Gas tanks don't rupture so easy as a plastic can. That's all. I know you know what you're doing.

Edit: Actually 3 wrecks. Forgot about the Colorado one :lol:

Archived