LegacyGT.com

Streetuner vs. RomRaider

Legacy_GT_Pilot

I finally got around to getting a Tactrix cable in order to use RomRaider to tweak some settings that I can't touch via Streetuner - specifically the timing compensation per cylinder values. But as I downloaded my ROM I noticed something very odd. With my Streetuner map, I was able to load everything onto a base map. In spite of this, I also created a realtime map just to be safe and flashed both maps to my car. When I look at my ROM in RomRaider, most of the settings are what I expected. My boost and wastegate settings are not though. They are the stock values. Even though my basemap and realtime map have the exact same boost values, RomRaider shows the stock values. Now I understand that RomRaider can't read a realtime map, but I find it odd what I'm seeing.

Anyone see this before or have an explanation?

The Cobb rom is not a stock rom. It is modified so that they can make space for their real time stuff. The old romraider defs used to show all the boost tables and WGDC tables even if the stock rom didn't use them. This allowed people who use AP to also tune their cars using romraider. The new defs only show the boost and WGDC tables that are used by the stock rom.

In addition to the above, the conversion from ecu value to real physical value for many parameters is different. For example, injector latency is different. That's just one example.

Am I able to use both RomRaider and Streetuner to tune my car? I would like to use Cobb for realtime tuning, and RomRaider for a few additional tuning parameters (launch control, and the cylinder timing compensation). What do I need to do?

Last year, it would have been okay, but I no longer recommend that you mix the tuning software.

If you plan to use tinywrex's launch control, I would not apply it to the Cobb rom. I have no idea what that would do. I don't know which memory locations that Cobb is using for their realtime tuning. It might clash with tinywrex's modification.

If you want to use it for a handful of parameters (such as per cylinder timing compensation), it might be okay.

I use a mix of the two but my RR alterations are limited to the following:

TD integral cumulative range

CL to OL transition delay BPW ABC

per injector fuel comps

timing comp per cylinder

fuel resume

idle speed ABC

LGT_pilot, how did you get almost everything to fit in your basemap? I can't even get my boost control tables + intake cal + injector cals to fit.

Someone mentioned a bit of a oddity with Cobb's software. If you change a setting, then change it back to the prio value, it still takes up space in their map. When I finally figured out all of my changes, I reverted back to the stock map, and made changes once from there and everything fits. That includes changes to all of the basic tables (fuel, ignition, MAF, boost, wastegate, throttle, etc.). I only had like 50 bytes left, but everything fit.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks.

I finally got around to trying some experiments to see exactly which tables, as viewed by RR, are being used by ST. I went and added a series of markers in the realtime tables, save a basemap, then dumped the flash image and looked for the markers.

all the basemap only tables are as expected.

most of the realtime maps are initially loaded from the expected locations. I found three that were not. Boost targets, WGDC low and WGDC high.

boost targets are stored as "Target Boost A (AT)", WGDC low is stored as "Initial Wastegate Duty A (AT)" and WGDC high is stored as "Max Wastegate Duty A (AT)"

another interesting quirk is that the V1 AP doesn't actually read anything from the ECU when asked to display current map. it will display the last map it flashed (try powering the AP with the wall-wart and using the command).

I found three that were not. Boost targets, WGDC low and WGDC high.

boost targets are stored as "Target Boost A (AT)", WGDC low is stored as "Initial Wastegate Duty A (AT)" and WGDC high is stored as "Max Wastegate Duty A (AT)"

That is with very old RomRaider defs. Those tables were removed from newer RR defs since they are not actually used by the ECU, although, apparently, Cobb uses them as placeholders as it relates to RT tuning (to copy to RAM post-reset).

Archived