LegacyGT.com

Forbes review of 05 Legacy GT

Very very positive. (Surprised no one else posted this yet)

http://www.forbes.com/vehicles/2005/02/28/cx_mf_0228test.html

So slide behind the wheel of the Legacy GT and behold Subaru's answer to its car-world foes. Note the silver-beveled dials with electroluminescent LED white lighting, which is visible even in direct sunlight. Dig the red needles on those gauges that jump to their pegs when you fire the ignition, before gliding back down to idle. Note the chrome trim throughout the cockpit. Settle comfortably into the eight-way adjustable leather driver's seat and ergonomically perfect Momo-branded steering wheel. Observe that the Legacy GT now has turn signals that fire at the corners of the car as well as on the mirrors (a feature first seen on high-end Mercedes sedans), so that high-riding SUV drivers will see this Subaru in their rearview mirrors. The mirrors are heated, too--a standard feature on the Limited model.

Observe, too, the quality of finish and the use of higher-grain plastics than that found in past Subarus. Don't neglect to spot the high-quality feel of the switches and buttons, either--the knurled, four-position controls for the front-seat heaters are good examples of this.

It feels like you have a lot of legroom, too, eh? In this highly competitive price category, even the larger $30,600 Infiniti G35 doesn't have more legroom. To get more you'd need to step up to the $30,190 Cadillac CTS 2.8L, which not only isn't available with AWD, but at this price doesn't have nearly the horsepower to play toe-to-toe with the Subaru. (The much more expensive and much faster $49,300 Cadillac CTS-V with a 5.7-liter V-8 and 400 hp, on the other hand, is in a different league entirely.)

Speaking of horsepower, boy oh boy can this Legacy GT fly. In a few implementations of the 2.5-liter "boxer" engine over the past few years, we felt it was slow to rev, showing not only turbo lag, but also a sort of industrial character that wasn't very alluring, despite its eventual grunt. Banish all that now. With variable valve timing and a singing, inter-cooled turbocharger, the Legacy GT flat out cooks, with peak torque arriving at 3,600 rpms. Plant your right foot and you'd better be ready to shift into second gear ASAP or you'll be redlining. About the only time you'll feel the limitations of this motor is if you get lazy and decide not to downshift on the Interstate before passing.

good find on a great article.... especially like this line

"....and part of Subaru's overall mission to sell to the suburban gentry, not just scruffy college-town typesand part of Subaru's overall mission to sell to the suburban gentry, not just scruffy college-town types"

even though im still in college and i haven't shaved for four days...

but i do feel much better about purchasing this car.... glad i didn't become an audi owner

Yeah, I caught that "V-4" too.

But overall a fair assessment with good points. Subaru has made progress with the LGT, but AWD is no longer a huge competitive advantage. The article also points out the lack of ESP.

Ken

Honda, Toyota, same difference...

:lol: The writer probably doesn't associate with such basic transportation. ;)

I'm surprised they even evaluated a Subaru. I guess Subaru is moving up!

I don't know why he commented on the poor resale value of Subarus. They hold their value very well here in the NW. I mean, an S500 sedan will lose $30K in 3 years- talk about depreciation! :D

tom

tom :)

I bought this car as a daily driver because I knew it'd react well to modification. Simply remove the up and down pipe for after market cat-less versions and your lag goes bye-bye. Love the top end pull... i'm addicted to boost. :)

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

Careful, now...the writer made an error or two. Who among us here is perfect? As Ken S wrote, it's a fair assessment of a very fine car, and after all, here we are, gathered on a message board that is dedicated to it. Know also that most automotive writers aren't as knowledgeable about little details as many of us might be (and many others aren't, it should also be noted). This should, however, in no way negate their evaluative capacity. I can't tell anyone how shoes are made, but I know excellent shoes when I wear them.

Chalk up another one for the GT, I say, and well done. Nice find, Uberoo.

Kevin

I'm new to this group, and this is my first posting on here. I'm probably going to be buying an '06 GT Limited this fall (assuming the nav systems are available) but I had a question from the Forbes review. He laments at the unavailability of a 6 speed, but couldn't you swap in a non dccd 6 speed from an STI?

Great article. I thought I was the only one so impressed with the quality and layout of the dash controls. It is better than any BMW or BENZ I have owned. Each control is obvious/different to the feel for intuitive, non visual operation. With my wrist on the MT shifter, I can reach all controls.

Like the author, I thought I expected to need a 5 to 4 downshift to pass at 70 mph, but I found it unnecessary. On a long trip across the desert to Sierra Mtns, I passed numerous cars and was out and around much faster than in my sons 325BMW. In fact, without downshift, car picks up so fast that you could almost clip the guy ahead of you if you time your pass like a normal car. I am very impressed with high end response.

No regrets with first Suby. I was tempted to just buy another BMW 3/AWD wagon, but I am so glad I got the LegGT. Said it before, but the seats, for my body and bad lower back are FANTASTIC. More comfortabe than my wife's new Range Rover seats and they are very nice. The LegGT has great engine, great controls, great seats, great style. I think this is an unusually well done car. Okay, I would like a stereo upgrade option. Hopefully, my next car will be a 07, LegGT/Sti wagon.

Most people still don't know what I am driving. "Nice car, what the hell is it?"

i can agree with you -- I can easily pass while in 5th, often uphill as I was tonight while driving back from Atlanta. If I do shift into 4th, I have to watch the gauges or else I'll slide past 100 without noticing. And, like you, nobody knows what I'm driving. In fact, to date, I haven't seen a single car like mine in my area yet!

I like the absence of s 6th also. The last manual I had was a 6sp (Acura) and I thought I'd want one again, but now that I have less shifting and power at 80 in top gear......I'm glad for the 5sp even if I do lose a bit of gas milage

Archived