LegacyGT.com

Gas spray at the pump

So I was sitting there, pumping gas at the same station I always am... in my own little world staring off into space while I'm waiting. Then I notice that the gauge is at 13 gallons.

"Hmm, I didn't think I was THAT low, I've never seen it go above 12..."

It's about that point that I notice the sound of a small waterfall, and the dampness on the left side of my body.

Gas was literally spraying out of the filler, the thing didn't stop like it was supposed to. I figure about 2 gallons came out before I was able to stop it.

Well I drove off in a panic to get my precious legacy out of the puddle of flammable gas... and change my clothes. Would this be a problem with the station I was using, or is something wrong with my fuel filler system? I don't really know much about this part of the car so any advice is appreciated...

it's a problem with the auto shut off.. the pressure that builds when the fuel is almost full and when it reaches the fuel hose nozzle should cut it off... but I have seen that's not always the case..

Also why some stations remove the little latch that holds the pump on.

faulty pumps are pumps that keep shutting off when the tank is nowhere near full.

You were afraid about having your car in a puddle of gas, so you went and started it??

The gas was at the rear right wheel, nowhere near a place where there would be sparks. And it's not like I just sat there, it's like I started it with my foot on the gas and immediately popped the clutch.

I was laughing outloud reading your post. Too funny. I can see a waterfall of gas spewing out from your tank! Omfg!

Btw, I think I have said before but you have the best username, ever!

Rehab is for quitters.

Archived