LegacyGT.com

Double DIN and keeping stock radio/HVAC in LGT

finalburden

I did some searching but to no avail. I'm curious how to add a H/U while keeping the HVAC (and keeping it functional) and stock radio intact. I'm looking at the following pieces:

http://www.rallitek.com/dodincopa.html

http://www.rallitek.com/inparebr.html

Can this be done? I'd like to put a Pioneer Premier double DIN unit where the cubby hole is but can I retain function of the HVAC if the Pioneer unit is wired in? Thanks in advance and if someone can point me to a thread about this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, fellow North Carolinian! How would the new H/U be wired? Can I just disconnect the current audio wiring harness and extend it to meet the upper cubby?

No, it's more extensive than that. It involves reverse harness and some other things, but I forget what exactly. There are dozens of threads out there regarding this, a more extensive search might get you the answers you're looking for. Search for AVO cubby and see what that comes up with.

You can buy the forward and reverse harnesses from David Carter on this site.

http://www.geocities.com/svxdc/Legacy-pinout.htm?20099

He will help guide you. Be aware you will have to relocate the trip computer if you go double din(there is an option to divert it to the ashtray). I went AVO single din and am happy with the sound/result.

• 2 weeks later...
I did some searching but to no avail. I'm curious how to add a H/U while keeping the HVAC (and keeping it functional) and stock radio intact. I'm looking at the following pieces:

http://www.rallitek.com/dodincopa.html

http://www.rallitek.com/inparebr.html

Can this be done? I'd like to put a Pioneer Premier double DIN unit where the cubby hole is but can I retain function of the HVAC if the Pioneer unit is wired in? Thanks in advance and if someone can point me to a thread about this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

FYI, that double DIN replacement for the cubby is JDM. Thier dash layout is exactly the opposite of ours. This is not a perfect (or very good at all, IMO) fit for our dash.It results in fitting too tight in two corners and leaving big gaps in two other corners.

FYI, that double DIN replacement for the cubby is JDM. Thier dash layout is exactly the opposite of ours. This is not a perfect (or very good at all, IMO) fit for our dash.It results in fitting too tight in two corners and leaving big gaps in two other corners.

Have you seen the JDM DDin cubby in person? Not being sarcastic, I actually just ordered one and have only been able to find one picture of it installed.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c20/burnout8488/DSC00989.jpg

The fitment only looks sketchy in the bottom right corner, to me at least.

1. It's too tight in the bottom left corner and won't sit flush.

2. Most of the right side has a gap.

3. Most of the bottom has a gap.

4. There is a huge gap at the bottom right corner.

5. Hard to see in the pic, but upper left corner does not sit flush. There is a small gap here as well, although not as noticeable as bottom right corner.

Let us know if you have better luck with it than what I describe above.

Just received it today. I can't even install it in my car, it is not a "Double-Din" piece at all. I read what I could of the Japanese instructions, and it's for mounting a THIN navigation screen. (Probably available in the JDM). I really have no idea how that Pioneer DDin unit shown above is even installed!

The brackets included only allow enough depth to install something maybe 1" deep. Seriously.

I may be returning my piece. I just wish it wasn't advertised as Double Din when it isn't.

Lame. Pics and part numbers?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Just received it today. I can't even install it in my car, it is not a "Double-Din" piece at all. I read what I could of the Japanese instructions, and it's for mounting a THIN navigation screen. (Probably available in the JDM). I really have no idea how that Pioneer DDin unit shown above is even installed!

The brackets included only allow enough depth to install something maybe 1" deep. Seriously.

I may be returning my piece. I just wish it wasn't advertised as Double Din when it isn't.

I believe a search would have revealed that...

Yep, you gotta fabricate your own brackets and hack out the center support for your dash to fit a double din in there. And after all that work and expense... It will still look like ass IMO.

Your options:

1. Work with what you have.

2. Keep info relocation kit and order up a USDM NAV bezel (this will at least fit into the opening properly). Take this to a car audio shop and tell them to fabricate until a double din fits.

3. Send back what you bought and order up the single DIN cubby and purchase a flip-up screen head unit.

4. Use the factory radio with a device like the Cleansweep, PXE-H650, RF3sixty etc.

5. Look at the Kenwood CarPortal products. The 4.3" screen fits on a Panavise mount next to the radio or it SHOULD fit into the stock cubby <- Always wanted to try that.

I *thought* I had searched the hell out of this forum trying to find info about it, and for some reason I was convinced that it would work. Blagh...

I e-mailed Rallitek and asked them to exchange for the Single-Din Fascia Kit. We'll see how it goes.

I *thought* I had searched the hell out of this forum trying to find info about it, and for some reason I was convinced that it would work. Blagh...

I e-mailed Rallitek and asked them to exchange for the Single-Din Fascia Kit. We'll see how it goes.

That one will fit much better, but you will still need to hack your center dash support out.

Single din mod is relatively easy but by no means a direct drop in. PM me for pointers if you get it. Realistically it is the best way to get really good sound and keep things looking relatively stock.

Idon'tknow dude that is a nice install !!! props on a clean job. My install is almost done and i will be doing a thread on it soon. After going thru stock with aux in mod hack, cleansweep and now aftermarket radio in the cubby, I can tell you the later is the way to go.

Metra sells the forward and reverse harnesses. I believe the part numbers are 70-8901 and 71-8901. I purchased both for my upcoming Rallitek DDin cubby install.

The Metra 70-8901 lacks the Orange/White dimmer wire. In the past, their 71-8901 reverse harness also lacked that wire. Some vendors occasionally still send out old stock with the missing wire.

The backlighting on the stock radio requires both illumination/dimmer wires to work.

The Metra 70-8901 lacks the Orange/White dimmer wire. In the past, their 71-8901 reverse harness also lacked that wire. Some vendors occasionally still send out old stock with the missing wire.

The backlighting on the stock radio requires both illumination/dimmer wires to work.

Yup, my 70-8901 doesn't have the wire you're talking about. I suppose I'll de-pin some of the unnecessary wires on the 71-8901 (because I won't need audio coming out of the stock HU) and use one for the Dimmer.

Rallitek is doing an exchange, and sending me the Single-Din piece. :) They mentioned that they had never actually seen the piece in person, because it comes from Tokyo. They had no idea it wasn't a "true" double-din piece.

Archived