LegacyGT.com

5mt to 5eat swap

Guest heightsgtltd

This has to be one of the dumbest threads on here :lol:

I like how people are offering to trade up the cars straight but that's not a good idea, but completely ripping up the transmission, electrical, etc. thereby completely killing the value of the car itself let alone thousands in costs and reliability headaches is a good idea

Guest heightsgtltd
That was uncalled for.

Not really, when people chose not to listen to experienced people on here it turns into that. That being said, who knows what the OP ended up doing.

Sorry, I don't see how a swap of this nature can ever be the better choice unless the value of the car is so low. As others have pointed out, there are so many components that need to be changed out aside from the physical tranny itself

There are more than one thread about this, that's what the really sad part is.

People that ask these are noobs and don't realize you have to swap the entire awd drivetrain along with the transmission. The center diff isn't the same, the rear diff isn't the same, the front diff isn't the same. NOTHING is the same on a MT vs AT car. And that's not even considering the electrical crap.

An idea for you, find a totaled 5eat from a junk yard and get the whole car. Might take you a while to find the prefect totaled car, but you could take everything you needed out of the totaled car, have spare parts galore, sell and pieces of the car you had left on here and probably not spend near as much as just getting parts piece by piece from the junk yard.

On that I still agree that even though your car may be in immaculate condition, you would be probably be better off trading or buying another car. for 10K you could probably find a used 5eat. Its your choice, and I have seen crazier so good luck!!!

Yes it would be extremely easier for you to just sell it and buy another one but in todays economy, I don't think that is a smart choice unless you have a extremely reliable source of income and not being threatened with being laid.

I'm sure there are other variables that comes into play with his decision. I knew the history of the Accord. 130K on the shell but approx 15K on the motor and knowing that I was the first owner. I bought the Accord 5mt new sold the car for cheap to my sister for cheap in 05-06, then bought the 05 Legacy GT, then I rebought the 03 Accord for cheap as well with a bad throw-out bearing issue. That was when I decided to swap to the shitbox plus I'm a fairly newlywed and My wife needed a car that she could drive so thats what i decided.

It took my approximately 6+ months to sell a car but that was before the economy took a hit and lucky for me I sold the car. This was a 95 civic Hatch and I didn't want to deal with it getting stolen or broken into.

I wish someone threatened to "lay" me. Female-type preferably.

Since you asked if it can be done for under 5k. I'd say no. Considering just the labor alone to replace an existing 5EAT with another one is going to run you $1500-2000. No way in hell you can swap everything else out for under $5K for just labor, parts not included. Complete cars cost a lot less than the sum of the parts and labor.

Archived