LegacyGT.com

Prodrive Install and Erratic Boost

Legacy_GT_Pilot

I know what you're saying. It's not more top end I'm looking for with this, but having boost come on a little quicker. I've been debating a FMIC but the cost just doesn't justify the potential performance gain.

I think I may just fix this problem and leave things the way they are. If we ever get e85, I may try that and a more agressive tune, but otherwise I think I' done with my set-up.

The boost plots you showed also lead me to think actuator problem.

I would NOT get an AVO actuator. It moves too little IMO (vs OEM style actuator) to control boost, especially at high rpm transitions (like shifting from 3rd to 4th WOT).

It still puzzles me why you think you can get better performance from this. I really don't think your car has much performance left to give (this side of a FMIC, or EWG or race gas).:spin:

I've got a feeling the actuator is sticking as on some pulls boost behaves the way it should, and on others it doesn't. I'll try the hand pump.

Thanks

the actuator should tolerate a bit of handling unless it has been cooked. when you re-installed the actuator, did you check that the rod is still aligned and moves without sticking?

You can check the actuator pretty easily by hooking up a hand pump to it.

I know what you're saying. It's not more top end I'm looking for with this, but having boost come on a little quicker. I've been debating a FMIC but the cost just doesn't justify the potential performance gain.

I think I may just fix this problem and leave things the way they are. If we ever get e85, I may try that and a more agressive tune, but otherwise I think I' done with my set-up.

Your 20g spools pretty darn good man.

I have looked at as many 40-55 lb/min turbos as I can possibly find, dyno graphs, charts, etc... and yours is one of the best for a 20g.

FWIW I spend weeks tuning both on my car (w/ different pills), and no appreciable difference. But, that was one a 15 psi actuator, on a 9 or 10 psi actuator it may make a bit of difference, I don't really know.

I've got a feeling the actuator is sticking as on some pulls boost behaves the way it should, and on others it doesn't. I'll try the hand pump.

Thanks

you might want to try a little moly in a carrier oil. the oil will burn off but the moly will remain. graphite oil also works but not as well.

FWIW I spend weeks tuning both on my car (w/ different pills), and no appreciable difference. But, that was one a 15 psi actuator, on a 9 or 10 psi actuator it may make a bit of difference, I don't really know.

I tried 9, 12 and 15 on my setup and there was no real difference once the tunes were done. With the same tune, the 15 spooled things faster but that was only because the tune for the 15 had too little bleed to keep the 9 from opening.

assuming you are not maxing out the WGDC, the lowest weight spring is the usually the best idea as the stock failsafe map was designed for 9-10 psi.

Archived