LegacyGT.com

How To: Replace/Rebuild torn CV boot and/or Axle

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any suggestions in getting the axle nut off? I got a breaker bar, tire is still on the car, haven't jacked it up yet. Added some PB to it and it's soaking now. Seems the 32mm or 1 1/4 is just a bit wiggley when I try and bust the nut.

Besides an impact gun. :D

Edited by gimpydingo

Nah, going going for the full axle. $50 shipped can't be beat. SURTRACK SB8047 (SB-8047)

Those will last you a good 6 months before you have to revisit the repair.

To get the nut off without an impact, use a 1/2" breaker bar with an extension for leverage. Remove it only when the weight of the car is off the hub so having someone in the car on the brakes helps with removing the front axle nuts.

Any suggestions in getting the axle nut off? I got a breaker bar, tire is still on the car, haven't jacked it up yet. Added some PB to it and it's soaking now. Seems the 32mm or 1 1/4 is just a bit wiggley when I try and bust the nut.

Besides an impact gun. :D

The way I did it was jack up that side of the car and remove the wheel. Use a 32mm socket on an impact gun. It came right off. I figure with out the impact it shouldn't be hard. Use a price of pipe for more leverage if need be. Just stick a screwdriver in the vented part of the rotor so when you turn it the hub doesn't spin. (Or have a friend sit in the car with the foot on the brake).

Those will last you a good 6 months before you have to revisit the repair.

To get the nut off without an impact, use a 1/2" breaker bar with an extension for leverage. Remove it only when the weight of the car is off the hub so having someone in the car on the brakes helps with removing the front axle nuts.

Thanks, I plan on rebooting the original for a back up.

I do have a 1/2" breaker I am using, with a 32mm socket.

So you are saying to not have the tire on the ground and have someone put pressure on the brakes?

EDIT: OK, I'll give that a shot, jack up and foot on brakes.

EDIT: WHEW GOT IT!! NUT IS BUSTED! Thanks everyone!

Edited by gimpydingo

Thanks, this is all good info.

Final question (I hope). I cannot get the axle out of the hub/rotor. Popped the ball joint out, but the axle doesn't want to budge. Just more elbow grease?!

Like the axle is stuck in the hub? Since you want to save it I would put some wood over it and hit it was a hammer to break it loose. I undid my strut instead of the ball joint. I have aftermarket control arm bushing and the arm wouldn't come down to make room.

Yeah stuck in hub. I can wiggle it and it moves the tire bolts on the rotor and if I pull on the rotor to swing it, the axle will move forward out of the tranny, just not out of the hub. I'll pad a hammer and hit the center and see if I can get it loose. Wonder if there is something else with the 07+

I know there are the pins on the older models, but that's on the tranny side. Sooooo clooooossseeee arghhhh

Edited by gimpydingo

Final dumb questions, how do I know if I got the axle all the way into the tranny and correctly.

Iis that tranny fluid or diff fluid that came out a bit when I pulled the axle, looks and smells like diff fluid - 5EAT btw. Yeah yeah :rolleyes:

The cup is actually about an inch away from going in. Not sure what is holding it back. And also a small circular spring came out when inserting the new axle. What did I do??

Edited by gimpydingo

i believe the spring you're talking about is a clip that sits in that small groove at the tip of the axle; you want that back on there.

i find it best to give the axle a few rotational-type shakes when trying to slide it back in; you can feel when the splines line up, and you can begin sliding in; but there will still be some clearance between the cup and case when you finish the slide -- at that point you can just give the axle a little pop on the hub end with something blunt/dense to compress that spring clip you mentioned and fully seat the axle.

it doesn't take too much force, so i typically don't worry about damaging the threads on that end before giving said gentle pop -- but protect them if you feel you may want to.

Edited by underpowerd

Thanks. I got it popped in, took a few good whacks.

Here is a pic of the spring, about 3 inches around.

This is not the c clip on the end of the axle. I believe it came out of the diff

:spin::spin::spin::spin:

EDIT: Looks like it's from the Axle seal...of course!!

35168641_20150311_1604201.thumb.jpg.6413aeb34c34c00fcf3d20079e05488a.jpg

Edited by gimpydingo

Oh? I never saw one come out with mine. But.. Here is a new seal I had just in casehttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/11/99e8ae8e6078828aa9a19915863bd309.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/11/b6a13424f1be871b62d42ea3bc986336.jpg

There is a spring like metal ring on the back side of the seal as you can see in the second picture. If it is actually the same ring that fell from yours I would recommend just replacing the seal (under 10$ for the dealer)

Good news, no leaks, the car coasts nicely not being held up by the axle.

Bad news it clunks and creaks. I am hoping it's the sway bushings, I've bought new ones as the old are beyond blown out. Or possibly didn't get the ball joint all the way in. Or a shitty axle. I'll check tomorrow.