LegacyGT.com

HID guys should check this

OCDetails

My passenger side HID has been sort of flaky at lighting up. I've seen another 05 LGT with an out passenger side light and I've also read that a few of you have too. I wasn't really worried that my HIDs were bad as much as I just wanted to make sure everything was plugged in right. Anyway, I took the cap off my passenger side headlight and took the HID bulb out to check the conncetion to the factory harness. I noticed that the white area that the bulb plugs into and the metal clip comes down over was looking a little black. I don't remember if it looked like that before I did the HID conversion or not, but it kind of looked burnt. I haven't had the HIDs on that long really. I did the conversion a week ago and have only driven at night twice since then. Seems a little fast to burn plastic like that. I don't know if this is a problem or not. Has anyone else noticed this? Do you think its a problem? Perhaps someone who doesn't have the HIDs in can pop the cap off and check it out to see if theirs is black too.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

looked at mine, HIDs in for almost a week, a ton of night driving, and had them on during the day as well as DRL's....no flickering, no blackness, all is fine and looking good. I would suspect a total amount of on time (lights on) this week to be 8-10 hours.

The light not always turning on doesn't really bother me. Once I checked the connection it seems to be working fine now. The thing that concerns me is the blackening ring that the bulb fits into where the clamp goes down over it. I'm just curious if anyone else has checked everything in there since they hooked them up. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow. Maybe it looked like that before and I just didn't notice. Its not warping or bubbling, so maybe its just normal.

OCDETAILS BLOG

yeah, when I checked mine, they were still clean as new, no blackening or carbonization look.

+1 no problems here.......I've had the HIDs in for over a month now and I drive at night all the time.......So that's strange....you said you saudered them right...maybe they are touching eachother? I electrical taped the hell out of my connections....

i dont got a subaru, but i have HIDs and i have the flickering problem with my diverside headlight, and this guy at my work's driver side HID is also out, he said his were flickering before it happend.

Im not gunna check anything on the headlamp or bulb cuz i had to have my housing custom cut and god only knows how many problems ive had with my headlamps

Which part is the ballast? I need to still check the driver side. I'll check that one tonight. You have the same kit that I have. Have you noticed anything like this? Maybe its just something related to the light not always turning on. I've fixed that now I think. If the driver side is getting black too, then I think I need to take them out until I can figure out what is going on. I don't need my headlights melting anywhere.

OCDETAILS BLOG

That's what I thought. How would the ballast affect the burning ring in the headlight? I'm going out on my lunch and popping the hood to check the driver side for the same thing. It concerns me that the bulb is so hot that it could be burning parts of the headlight.

OCDETAILS BLOG

They wouldn't, I think he was talk'n about the light flickering and not working....the burning ring can only be do to heat....nothing to do with the balast (unless it's put'n out crazy amt of power which is HIGHLY unlikely)

All bulbs get wicked hot....it really shouldn't be getting that hot to burn your housing in anyway....something funny is go'n on here.....

I just took a closer look at them. It looks like the area that I thought was black is actually just silver that is reflecting black. It looks burnt, but upon really close inspection it looks like it is fine. I've got a couple pictures that I'll post as soon as I get them uploaded.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Here's what I'm talking about. This is on the passenger side. Upon closer inspection it is just chrome that looks burnt. When I got home today I popped off the cap and felt the area with my fingers. It wasn't hot, so I don't think the bulb is causing any problem. The connection was a little loose and that is why it kept blinking out. I think all is well now. I'll keep an eye on it. I've got a warranty on the bulbs and ballasts so I'll see if there is any further problem that is beyond the typical ID10T error that I always seem to have. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Jngrbrdman/159-5923_IMG.jpg

OCDETAILS BLOG

Now that I look at Scans007's HID install again, I see that his are like that too. Since those are pics taken during the install, I can assume that they aren't caused by too much heat from the HIDs. Now there are definitely no worries. :)

http://www.bostonwolfpack.com/Scans007/H7%20HID%20kit%20install_files/image013.jpg

OCDETAILS BLOG

I dont want to be the bearer of bad news but...

I had a Xenondepot on my Civic. H4, no problem what so ever, probably about 6 months.

I saved the ballasts and put them in my WRX with H1 bulbs. Took a lot of hacking to get them to work but they did. A few months later the pass side flickered and sometimes I needed to turn off all the lights and restart it. After a couple months of that that side just gave up. Never did find out what was wrong with it but it sure was a pain.

Good luck

Holy Crap......I was good for something....no way.....:lol:

Now that I look at Scans007's HID install again, I see that his are like that too. Since those are pics taken during the install, I can assume that they aren't caused by too much heat from the HIDs. Now there are definitely no worries. :)

http://www.bostonwolfpack.com/Scans007/H7%20HID%20kit%20install_files/image013.jpg

I dont want to be the bearer of bad news but...

I had a Xenondepot on my Civic. H4, no problem what so ever, probably about 6 months.

I saved the ballasts and put them in my WRX with H1 bulbs. Took a lot of hacking to get them to work but they did. A few months later the pass side flickered and sometimes I needed to turn off all the lights and restart it. After a couple months of that that side just gave up. Never did find out what was wrong with it but it sure was a pain.

Good luck

Had a problem like that similar with a previous kit on my current accord, seemed like placement of the ballast i think. If it overheats it wont ignite in order to protect itself from damage.

interesting, but in this case once it stopped, it never fired again. Even when the engin was cold

yea after a while of that too i burned it out as well. had to get a new set, cause i didnt want 8000k any more, and have moved down to 5k

Archived