LegacyGT.com

tranny locked in 1st gear

jeepthrills

port installed STS....60k ...in my care since 55k....not beaten, not raced. I went to back into my parking spot at work, popped out of first normally...full stop, went into reverse...eased clutch out and it stalled. I popped it into neutral, started it up and went to release the clutch (thinking its in neutral) and it rolls foward in 1st gear. shifter appears to be in neutral.....can be placed into 3,4,5 and R which places it into 2 gears simultaniously. Cannot get shifter over to 1,2 gate. locked in first......you all think linkage or internal????:confused::spin::confused::spin:

I just rebuilt my 5MT not too long ago. I would first take a quick look underneath the car to make sure none of the linkage came loose. If that checks out it could be a Problem with Your shift fork rod for the 1st and 2nd gear synchro. Just a tight pin holds them into place and could have gotten lose leaving it in 1st gear. Could also be a problem with your detent system? It’s what gives you the gated feel of the gears. Has a little check ball and a spring in there. But I feel if there was a problem with that it would block you out of all the gears. Kind of sounds internal to me but no way to tell until taken it apart.

I just rebuilt my 5MT not too long ago. I would first take a quick look underneath the car to make sure none of the linkage came loose. If that checks out it could be a Problem with Your shift fork rod for the 1st and 2nd gearsynchro. Just a tight pin holds them into place and could have gotten lose leaving it in 1st gear. Could also be a problem with your detent system? It’s what gives you the gated feel of the gears. Has a little check ball and a spring in there. But I feel if there was a problem with that it would block you out of all the gears. Kind of sounds internal to me but no way to tell until taken it apart.

Sounds like a broken shift fork. That pin is in there pretty snug.

If it was a detent, it wouldn't lock you in 1st. You have to pull back on the 1-2 shift rod to get into Rev.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Well?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

sorry yall....long weekend... ok so it was a shift fork....and they can seem to find a cause for it except "downshifting to first at like 40 mph". The service guy actually said that to me. I assured him that has not happened since I bought it. So Warranty covered it...lucky me!!!

Can't break a shift fork by downshifting to first at 40mph.

What you CAN do is break a shift fork by upshifting too aggressively.

Glad it's all fixed!

^^ have you ever tried to DS into 1st at 40? It will easily bend the shift fork if you do it improperly.

I wasn't under the the impression there was a proper way to DS to 1st going 40...

^^ have you ever tried to DS into 1st at 40? It will easily bend the shift fork if you do it improperly.

The stock shift forks are pretty strong, but not very ductile. Bending a shift fork isn't likely. At least not under the impulse associated with a "normal" downshift attempt.

As for downshifting into 1st at 40? It'll go into gear before breaking a shift fork.

Unless you are a total noob, and were quite insistent that you not only had to downshift, but also punch a chuck-norris sized hole in the HVAC controls, would you be able to break a shift fork downshifting a synchronized transmission.

Now on a dogbox, a clutchless downshift can, and will, break a shift fork if done aggressively enough. I actually broke the 1-2 fork doing that. But it wasn't a 2-1 downshift. It was a 3-2 downshift... at the top of 3rd... at WOT... using the revlimiter instead of the clutch. And even then, that fork was 12 years old. Whoops.

Ok. I did. "Bent Shift Fork"

Got replies from people who have never seen the inside of a Subaru transmission claiming a bent shift fork.

In reality, the forks are simply cast aluminum. The highest stress concentration is about a centimeter or so from the tip of each fork. Under extremely high loads, those tips can break off and cause some VERY bad things (or some not so bad things). Were the forks more ductile, bending could occur. Unfortunately, due to the nature of cast components (unforseen voids and imperfections in the grain structure that result from casting) and the typical mechanical behavior of brittle materials (such as a lack of strain hardening), there is effectively no difference between the stress to yield and the stress to fracture.

I'm SURE you weren't suggesting that I am unfamiliar with the proper method of downshifting. Technically speaking, rev matching is NOT the proper way to downshift. Rev matching implies keeping the clutch pedal depressed. While that makes it SOUND like you know what you are doing, it has little impact on actual transmission behavior. The proper way to downshift into 1st gear is called double clutching. You depress the clutch, shift to neutral, release the clutch, increase engine RPM, depress the clutch, then select first gear.

Revving the car with the clutch in spins the input shaft via parasitic and aerodynamic drag. You get slow response and suboptimal shaft speeds. Double clutching directly links input shaft RPM to engine speed.

Ok. I did. "Bent Shift Fork"

Got replies from people who have never seen the inside of a Subaru transmission claiming a bent shift fork.

when I search i get alot of people who have posted AFTER having their tranny fixed and the part replaced was the shift fork, among other things. It's a known issue. You can't sit there and blab tech talk about ductileness and whatever when it's a KNOWN ISSUE. The shift fork onthe 5MT is known for bending.

But just like there are only a handful of 5MT's that have granaded and a couple dozen turbos that have died from the oil starvation due to the oil screen.... it's not alot affected, but we know about it.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

They post for broken shift forks, not bent. Or bent CLUTCH forks, which is a completely different component.

Unless you are talking about this part: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2010044&postcount=5

In which case, that is NOT a shift fork, but a clutch fork. A shift fork is internal and is the bit that actually selects the next gear.

The part that failed in the OP's transmission was a SHIFT fork, NOT a clutch fork.

There are definitely way more than a handful of grenaded Subaru 5MT's. Have a look on Nasioc and it's usually 3-4/day.

I've had both apart. The forks are identical.

The major saving grace of the FXT and LGT trans is the final drive. A 4.444 in the turbo cars leaves a much greater factor of safety over the 3.9 or 3.7 in the WRX 5MT.

So you were talking about people bending CLUTCH forks, right? Not shift forks?

Stiff pressure plate. It's another fault of the push-type clutch. The pull types have a beefy cast fork. The push-types get a dinky stamped steel fork.

I simply do not agree that shift forks are more likely to bend than break. I've seen an enormous number of broken Subaru 5MT's, and not one of them had a legitimately bent shift fork. Some were slightly tweaked, but at the most they caused a minor grind.

Archived