What would you do to my car with $500?

What should I do to my car with $500  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do to my car with $500

• mid, Y, and a dyno tune
    • springs and sways
    • FMIC
    • something else, you tell me what

So I think I'll have about $500-$600 from my tax return to spend on my car, what should I do?

First of all my car is my DD and I have a wife and baby on the way so I need to keep it relatively comfy and quite, besides I like the sleeper status.

So far my car is mostly stock with 39K miles. My mods are cat-less up and cat-less DP with the stock cat back. I have a big tranny cooler, the Ralitek "comfort" trans mount insert, a custom road tune, window tint, HID's, and I'm up to date on my scheduled maintenance.

Here is what I had in mind:

option 1:

Perrin mid and y with stock mufflers (quiet) and an hour on the dyno for a more precise tune

option 2:

if I bought used parts, I could probably afford a set of Tien H-techs (mild drop, not too stiff, and uses stock struts), rear sway bar, and maybe front sway bar?

option 3:

EBay FMIC and dyno tune. When I had my 2.0L WRX most people said not to go FMIC with the stock turbo (yes I know the LGT turbo is different) because of more lag and it's really not necessary. Although I plan on keeping the stock turbo and not going to crazy with power until the car is paid off in the next few years, I do see some people running a FMIC with the stock turbo. Is that because our intercooler with it's plastic end tanks tend to have issues?

option 4:

your suggestions........

Edit.

option 5:

guages, I was thinking boost and oil preassure

^ +1

Tires

Rear Sway bar (could do front as well)

Hawk HPS pads + Motul fluid (much better break feel)

Stock tires and brake pads suck. You'll see when you change them.

For tires go 225/45/17 on stock rims.

IMO a rear sway bar should be the first mod to this car.. Soo much better cornering even with just a JDM rear sway..

+1 I just installed my JDM RSB and it makes a world of difference.

I would say for $500 I would go with the perrin mid and y and the JDM RSB.

i would buy new tires, but $500 is not enough to any tire worth getting.

That's what I was thinking and why they didn't make it on the list. Hopefully I'll be able to get some tires later this year. I know the R92's aren't great, but they have even ware and still have good tread depth for now.

If you're really trying to be economical... I would ride the stock brake pads/tires out for a while (provided they are in reasonable shape). You might as well get the extra 10k miles or whatever out of them. Sway bars will be just as useful now as they will be 80k from now.

Example, I have a new LGT... I will certainly change the tires and brake pads... but I might as well get some use of the stock ones even if they aren't perfect.

That's what I was thinking and why they didn't make it on the list. Hopefully I'll be able to get some tires later this year. I know the R92's aren't great, but they have even ware and still have good tread depth for now.

well the thing is, without good tires, all the other handling mods do nothing really except make a harsher ride. if you have some extra $$ to add to the $600, get the tires.

^ +1

Tires

Rear Sway bar (could do front as well)

Hawk HPS pads + Motul fluid (much better break feel)

Stock tires and brake pads suck. You'll see when you change them.

For tires go 225/45/17 on stock rims.

I have some used Bridgestone Potenza RE070 off my old STi with about 9k on them, located in Ohio if interested pm me.

I couldn't agree more; especially with a baby on the way.

I agree, I sold some parts for the cash too, so there is quite a bit going in the 'ol bank account as well.

What's the general consecsus on the RE070's, were those the factoy STi tires? If they are the ones I'm thinkg of they are pretty much slicks. I have snow tires for the winter, how do they do in the rain? Are they that much of an improvment over the RE92's?

With ohio winters I would say ditch re92. I have the esta ast(look pretty and aggresive for no reason) and they suck on dry land if you drive anything beyond conservative and still do way better than re92 in snow. Tirerack is your friend if you are not gonna go crazy with wheel/tire combos any time soon. 225 wides as the others said.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+AST&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=245HR7EASTXL&fromCompare1=yes&place=3

Archived