LegacyGT.com

VF52 goes to the dragstrip

Legend

Guest adam07specB
im in the same boat as you... but mines on back order :(

I ordered mine from AJW Performance (a vendor here) and i should get word any day now... Woot!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
E85 adds what 5-8% power increase?

It probably adds about that much with just the fuel change alone.

But it adds more than that because you don't just change fuel - you tune for it. You can lean out your AFRs and increase timing. For example I run around 12:1 AFR at WOT and 3-7 degrees more timing (my lowest timing in a 3rd gear pull is 20 degrees).

Bottom line, when tuned expect around a 10% gain in HP and a 12-14% gain in torque.

Also, it shifts peak torque to the left. While E85 adds some power at high rpms, it makes daily driving in the sub-4000rpm range a lot more fun.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

It probably adds about that much with just the fuel change alone.

But it adds more than that because you don't just change fuel - you tune for it. You can lean out your AFRs and increase timing. For example I run around 12:1 AFR at WOT and 3-7 degrees more timing (my lowest timing in a 3rd gear pull is 20 degrees).

Bottom line, when tuned expect around a 10% gain in HP and a 12-14% gain in torque.

Also, it shifts peak torque to the left. While E85 adds some power at high rpms, it makes daily driving in the sub-4000rpm range a lot more fun.

i thought if you run e85 your afr's should be way lower?? thats just what i read... and thats y i thought you needed bigger injectors to achieve those lower afr's... :confused:

i thought if you run e85 your afr's should be way lower?? thats just what i read... and thats y i thought you needed bigger injectors to achieve those lower afr's... :confused:

If you are going to switch to E85, may as well do some reading... there is a massive FAQ on NASIOC and a couple threads I've been active in or started here:

DIY E85 Conversion

Stage IIe

e85 pros and cons

There's others also.. a pretty good one started by PDX somewhere too...

My '05 LGT

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3660/3372954225_d8934c7138_b.jpg

Here is a pic of that silver LGT with the 18g deadbolt turbo. He was launching crazy, 6800 rpm clutch DROP!

I can;t believe he didn't brake anything.

E85 can also mean less mpg.

Wikipedia...

"Depending on composition and source, E85 has an octane rating of 100–105[12] compared to regular gasoline's typical rating of 85–93. This allows it to be used in higher compression engines which tend to produce more power per unit of displacement than their gasoline counterparts. Since the reciprocating mass of the engine increases in proportion to the displacement of the engine E85 has a higher potential efficiency for an engine of equal power.

One complication is that use of gasoline in an engine with a high enough compression ratio to use E85 efficiently would likely result in catastrophic failure due to engine detonation, as the octane rating of gasoline is not high enough to withstand the greater compression ratios in use in an engine specifically designed to run on E85. Use of E85 in an engine designed specifically for gasoline would result in a loss of the potential efficiency that it is possible to gain with this fuel. Using E85 in a gasoline engine has the drawback of achieving lower fuel economy as more fuel is needed per unit air (stoichiometric fuel ratio) to run the engine in comparison with gasoline. This corresponds to a lower heating value (units of energy per unit mass) for E85 than gasoline.

E85 consumes more fuel in flex fuel type vehicles when the vehicle uses the same compression for both E85 and gasoline because of its lower stoichiometric fuel ratio and lower heating value. European car maker Saab currently produces a flex fuel version of their 9-5 sedan which consumes the same amount of fuel whether running e85 or gasoline,[13] though it is not available in the United States. So in order to save money at the pump with current flex fuel vehicles available in the United States the price of E85 must be much lower than gasoline. Currently E85 is about 5-10% less expensive in most areas.[14] More than 20 fueling stations across the Midwest are selling E85 at the same price as gasoline.[15] E85 also gets less MPG, at least in flex fuel vehicles. In one test, a Chevy Tahoe flex-fuel vehicle averaged 18 MPG [u.S. gallons] for gasoline, and 13 MPG for E85, or 28% fewer MPG than gasoline. In that test, the cost of gas averaged $3.42, while the cost for E85 averaged $3.09, or 90% the cost of gasoline.[16][17] In another test, however, a fleet of Ford Tauruses averaged only about 6% fewer miles per gallon in the ethanol-based vehicles as compared to traditional, gas-powered Tauruses.[18]"

Here is a pic of that silver LGT with the 18g deadbolt turbo. He was launching crazy, 6800 rpm clutch DROP!

Love that picture.

He said he tried to tighten his suspension too by using some spring tensionsers... or something.

Not only was he doing high-rpm (5800, I think) clutch drops but he was using launch control and 11psi at launch. I think he beats on that car pretty good.

My '05 LGT

E85 can also mean less mpg.

It definitely does mean less mpg. At idle, E85 use requires 30% more fuel. Under throttle it uses 20-25% more.

What matters MORE is dpm (dollars per mile). Despite the lesser fuel economy, E85 is cheaper than gas. Sometimes a little cheaper and at times (like last summer) less than half price. Over the last 9 months since I've converted, I've saved money using E85.

What matters MOST is power. Even if E85 cost more than gas, I'd still gladly pay the difference. The low-rpm torque is a lot of fun.

My '05 LGT

^ too bad I've yet to see an E85 pump in my area. they exist, but I've never come across one.

"NY Times 3/9/09: Burdened by falling gasoline consumption and excess production capacity, ethanol producers appealed to the government on Friday to raise the 10 percent limit on ethanol in most gasoline blends to as high as 15 percent.

The article claims that DOE head Steven Chu is considering this request. He shouldn't. Corn ethanol is bad for the environment, it's bad for the economy. Earlier this week, Duke University called corn ethanol subsidies "a poor investment economically and environmentally." A month before that a University of Minnesota stufy found that corn ethanol was more costly from a health and environmental perspective than gasoline."

• 3 weeks later...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3660/3372954225_d8934c7138_b.jpg

He has just listed it for sale on pirates. I wonder if all the stickers are included.

F.S 2005 legacy gt turbo$14,500

ok ok so times are gettin really tough sadly so i need to get rid of the legacy

this baby is fun and faaaaast.tuned by harvey.

317hp?torque.

mod list:

18g turbo

cobb access port v2

850cc deutchworks

e85 converted

avo tmic

3"all aluminum custom exaust fit with magnaflows

cobb lightened crank pulley

walbourough255

k/n typhoon intake

cobb short throw shifter with new bushings

cusco front sway bar

invidia unmarried d/p..invidia uppipe

new windshield

the cobb has maps for e85 and 91 octane..when i had harvey tune it i requested that so i wouldnt get stuck in bfe with no e85

priced to sell fast $14,500

ya wanna have some fun?

at the least id be ok with someone to take over payments even with a little dough the note only has 11,000 left so this is a steal

my loss your gain.

at least 6,000 in parts alone

thank you

My '05 LGT

good for him he enjoyed it and it never let him down, not good for whoever buys it now.

Actually he told collegemt and I that it broke down while doing "165mph" :eek: in Nevada and he had to have it towed... can't remember if he blew the engine or what, but it definitely let him down.

My '05 LGT

Archived