LegacyGT.com

No-Drill mounting front plate

cheeseenlo

Anyone have a clever way to mount the front plate without drilling into the bumper? I'm living in NYC so its I have to have one up front. Why can't we go without it :spin:

Anyway, I've been reading up a couple threads on how some people have mounted their plates. I really want to figure out a way to get the plate on without having to drill the bumper. I did google search and find this Totsubo folding bracket. But I'm not sure if it'll hold up. Any suggestions you guys?

bungee cord!!!

You could prolly fab something, couple pieces of flat stock bolted or welded together to basically make a U. mount it somewhere behind the bumper then come through the lower vents in the bumper.

Might work i dunno lol

http://rpidesigns.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=950

You still have to drill, but instead of drilling up front, you drill on the underside of the bumper.

That is a clever idea, but I would be a little worried about the plate rattling around from the wind at highway speeds, or scraping on steep driveways or speed bumps (my car is pretty low).

Subscribed for other ideas.

on my old car i drilled 2 holes in the bumper beam and mounted the plate there, i dont know how much the bumper comes down the bumper beam but as long as they can see the numbers its ok. on mine you could not see the state on the plate (cali), unless you bend over or stand far away

another option if the plate fits between the lower gap on the bumper (area between fog lights), make a grill for the lower section and zip tie the plate there. people have done that for my last car and did not have problems

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Right.. if the adhesives don't damage the paint, scraping the residue off when he goes to remove it will..

Drill.

Why would adhesive damage the paint? Car manufacturers use foam tape for car badges? To remove the residue ise goo gone. Just like debadging your car.

http://rpidesigns.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=950

You still have to drill, but instead of drilling up front, you drill on the underside of the bumper.

I did the same sort of thing on my old 05 OBP LGT limited, but I just bought two small ninety degree angle brackets from Lowes, painted them flat black, and bolted these to a cheap Autozone universal plate mount. Drilled two holes on the undersurface of the bumper and mounted with the regular plastic screws. [Technical detail, I mounted the angle brackets to hang down and not point up, as the latter would strike the bumper unless you cantilevered waaay out].

The universal plate allowed enough adjustment so the top of the plate was just above the top of the bumper line, so as not to block the upper air inlet, but does block more of the lower inlet(NOT ideal for the FMIC crowd). Was rigid enough to deflect minimally under wind load on the highway (from direct observation while someone else was driving my car). There were no marks on the bumper from the plate/mount contacting it (or more accurately, the ends of the locking nuts). I left about 3/4 inch gap from the plate to the bumper, enough room to easily clean behind the plate.

Assorted little bolts came from Autozone, and I like to use the drilled allen head as there is less chance someone with a screwdriver can mess with your set up. Also, a dremel does wonders at "adjust" the excess bolt length to not protrude menacingly toward the bumper. Total cost for everything was about $15.

Unfortunately, my 08 spec B from Farrish Subaru came with the holes in front drilled:mad:. I still given them props for having the car tinted and delivering it to me:).

Suck it up and drill the front bumper... don't worry, the holes will be covered by the plate anyway :lol:

Bahh I might just have to. How often do you guys take off your plates? During the warmer months I wash my car about once a week. I like to take off the plates when I do my weekly washes. I was also thinking that I could get this STi trim piece for the front bumper to cover up the holes then mount the plate w/ bracket on top of that. I mainly want this for cosmetic reasons. I'm an avid detailer. I like all my cars clean.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Why would adhesive damage the paint? Car manufacturers use foam tape for car badges? To remove the residue ise goo gone. Just like debadging your car.

he drilled his bumper and is trying to make himself feel better about it, lol.

Archived