LegacyGT.com

Head Gasket EJ25 Legacy NA

Hi All,

I'm new, I'm currently in the middle of doing a head gasket swap on my legacy. Couple of things... is there a recommended Gasket set to use? Instead of Subaru's crappy one that came pre-installed.

Another thing, when we seperated the engine from the Auto box, the entire contents of the box drained out onto the drive.... should this have happened? If not, why did it and how do I fix it?

Cheers all

Dunk :)

Hi All,

I'm new, I'm currently in the middle of doing a head gasket swap on my legacy. Couple of things... is there a recommended Gasket set to use? Instead of Subaru's crappy one that came pre-installed.

Another thing, when we seperated the engine from the Auto box, the entire contents of the box drained out onto the drive.... should this have happened? If not, why did it and how do I fix it?

Cheers all

Dunk :)

Some Trans fluid will drain out but it all should not. That isnt the major issue here just make sure to replace the Trans fluid during assembly. The head gaskets that re preinstalled suck yes we all agree. These are the ones Ive seen installed on a 2005 EJ 253 ( N/A) motor although they will fit ALl EJ25 series ( 251, 251, 255, 257) they are made for high HP application which I dount is the case with your car.

http://www.speedelement.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1455&category_id=1&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

hope this helps

Some Trans fluid will drain out but it all should not. That isnt the major issue here just make sure to replace the Trans fluid during assembly. The head gaskets that re preinstalled suck yes we all agree. These are the ones Ive seen installed on a 2005 EJ 253 ( N/A) motor although they will fit ALl EJ25 series ( 251, 251, 255, 257) they are made for high HP application which I dount is the case with your car.

http://www.speedelement.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1455&category_id=1&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

hope this helps

The slightly thicker gaskets for the EJ255 and EJ257 is designed for lower compression because of their turbocharged design. I wouldn't put gaskets from those engines in our cars. We want higher compression. Go with the fel-pro replacement gaskets or the OEM Subaru ones.

No one?

Look you can go to your Subaru dealer and order the OEM replacement gaskets or buy the Felpros ones like Frost suggested that is your best bet for this repair since you dont have mods or anything internally altered

You're in the UK huh?

Well Fel-Pro is pretty much everywhere in the US, don't know about availability in the UK though. But you can definitely source some over the internet, even if u have to ship international. But I assume if you went to your local auto parts dealer, they would be able to give you a few different options as to what kind of gaskets to get. Other than those options, going to the dealer is the only for sure thing. The stock gaskets may not be the best, but they are designed for our vehicles. You're not running anything more than stock so it shouldn't be a big issue to use the OEMs.

Archived