LegacyGT.com

Doing my 3rd oil change; what oil to use?

I have an 08 Leggy 2.5i. I and running castrol 5W30 in the car. I ran Royal purple in my ZX2. Which my ZX2(93 OCT full dyno tune with SCT) would have beat my leggy any day. I test royal purple in my ZX2 for 8k miles and did not change the oil. I had may 7-8K redline revs in this car which was my DD cause I did not want to put miles on my STI. Point is that if you take care of the car and change the oil I think it will be good for 200k miles on the car.

I say use the syn oil on your car, one good thing is that you get to wait long on the oil change.

• 3 weeks later...
The problems that many people have had with mobil1 have primarily (if not all) been with turbo charged subarus. As far as I know and based on my own personal experience, mobil1 5w-30 extended performance is a pretty good oil. I run it in my wife's rav4 with a 7500 mile OCI. I've never used the non 'extended performance' version though which I hear isn't quite as good for whatever reason. In my turbo subie I run amsoil 5w-30. I like synthetic oils a lot personally and run it on my turbo and n/a cars as you can see.

I'll be using Motul 8100. I have access to 55 gallon drums of the stuff, so I'm not too worried about cost. It would cost MORE for me to go to Autozone and buy 5 quarts of Castrol GTX or something.

I'll use OE filters too.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Agile Automotive in Maryland has done real world testing with numerous motor oils, and they've found that Motul performs best on our Subaru Boxer engines. They are also a dealer of Motul, so you can get it in bulk from them. I got a case (four 5 Liter jugs) for around $150. I also like the fact that Motul comes in metric volumes because the 2.5L turbo models take exactly 4 Liters, so there is no need to guesstimate 4.2 quarts. I'd highly recommend Motul 5W-30 or 5W-40 for anyone who has the 2.5L turbo model, especially those with engine mods/tuning.

I put AMSOil 0w30 signature synthetic in recently. Feels good, no serious difference from prior Mobil 0w30.

As far as the oil goes, with AMSOil and their filter you get a retarded long 25k interval. Will definitely compensate for the price of the oil and filter even if I decide to change before 25k.

Archived