LegacyGT.com

Outback Stabilizer Bar

I have always been a bit displeased with the understeer on my 06 XT. It seems a lot more pronounced than my 02 Outback Sport. Anyhow, I dumped the stock tires and put on Toyos which have significantly better directional stability and improve the turn-in. But, it still feels like too much understeer. I am considering a heavier rear stabilizer bar, reinforced brackets, and more rigid bushings, including for the front bar.

If anyone has done something similar, I'd like to hear about it and more to the point, did those new bushings add much chop? Did they make a difference in transitions?

Thanks in advance.

Do it. Our '06 2.5i had understeer I felt was at times downright dangerous.

We started with the LGT sedan's 16mm bar, increasing diameter by only 1mm for a significant improvement. Moving to the JDM 20mm hollow (about equivalent to 18mm solid) got it closer.

Decent tires (GY TT) and an alignment maxing front negative camber, & reeeing in toe-in down to about 0.05deg in all around, got it about right. Still not as good as our '98 was.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Do it. Our '06 2.5i had understeer I felt was at times downright dangerous.

We started with the LGT sedan's 16mm bar, increasing diameter by only 1mm for a significant improvement. Moving to the JDM 20mm hollow (about equivalent to 18mm solid) got it closer.

Decent tires (GY TT) and an alignment maxing front negative camber, & reeeing in toe-in down to about 0.05deg in all around, got it about right. Still not as good as our '98 was.

OhBe1-

Can I ask you how you went about having your "special" alignment done? Do you have any specific adjustment numbers you provided the alignment shop? If so, I'd love to have 'em! :)

I'm pretty sure my dealer uses an "acceptable range" rather than a specific number.

Thanks,

Tim

OhBe1-

Can I ask you how you went about having your "special" alignment done?...

We had it done at a local Mr. Tire, when we got the Goodyears. OTOH, our local Subaru dealer (Annapolis Subaru) does sell aftermarket parts, so I expect they may be amenable to customizing alignments.

I told them to max out the front negative camber - that ended up being about -0.7 deg. "before" was positive camber, don't remember the numbers.

And the 0.05deg toe in all around was just my SWAG spec. They got close, so we're happy. "Before" was IIRC a lot more.

They gave me the standard CMA warning that this might increase tire wear - so far, there is still some extra wear on the outside of the tread, but probably not as much as there would have been had I not spec'd the numbers.

Maybe some day when I pay off the 2nd mortgage, I'll be able to get some caster.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I told them to max out the front negative camber - that ended up being about -0.7 deg. "before" was positive camber, don't remember the numbers. And the 0.05deg toe in all around was just my SWAG spec. They got close, so we're happy. "Before" was IIRC a lot more.

Sorry to be dense with this, OhBe1....so to confirm, I'm just asking the dealer if:

A. they'll do custom alignment settings, and if so then

B. I'd like the front negative camber maxed out and the toe-in adjusted to 0.05 degrees on all 4 wheels.

Do I have it right?

I just bought a set of the brandy-new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S "Plus" version and I'd **hate** (read as: would be killed by my wife repeatedly until dead) to do anything which would ruin these tires.

No offense intended, but I'm going to post this same Q over on subaruoutback.org and see if I get any responses.....just hedging my bets--honest! ;o)

Thanks,

Tim

That should do it.

These are not radical numbers, I can't see that tire wear would be adversely affected.

If anyone's looking for an OEM LGT sedan bar, I've got one FS. PM me if interested.

A noticeable improvement, before we went to the JDM bar.

Archived