LegacyGT.com

Extended warranty

Got my 05 LGT about a month ago, am thinking about buying an extended warranty. The dealer I go to most of the time (Concordville) uses Fidelity Warranty Services. Anybody hear anything good or bad about them?

My main concern is if the turbo goes, I'm at 63K miles.

A basic 4 year powertrain warranty is ~$1500, next step up is ~$1600.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

there's a first time for everything....but if your not a grease monkey, then i would just because it covers more than just your turbo, i got and extended warranty on everything when i purchased mines....

I bought an extended warranty right after I got my car two years ago. I paid like $550 to extend bumper to bumper out to 60K or 4 years...something like that. I feel like it was a waste of money now. For what they want for yours.... I say don't bother. Assuming you can afford now....then put that $1600 AWAY and use it IF you need it. The chances of you needing that much in warranty covered repairs is slim to none.

Of course this advice assumes you have a Carfax report and/or know the vehicles history.

Our dealership uses them being we also sell Kia as well and that is the main warranty they sell. I still recommend using SAS because it is a better warranty, takes less time to verify coverage, plus Fidelity has been known not to have the greatest cust. service.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Fidelity has been known not to have the greatest cust. service.

My wife's Passat is covered by Fidelity. Her seat warmer element broke and they initially said they wouldn't pay for the repair because the policy clearly states that upholstery is not covered. I went off on the claims rep who then cleared the repair with his manager (a 2 minute phone call). Be prepared to be initially denied with all third party warranty companies.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B][I]"Sweep the leg!" - Sensei Kreese, Karate Kid [/I][/B][/FONT]

I still recommend using SAS because it is a better warranty, takes less time to verify coverage

+1

I am in the same boat at the moment. 69k. All these aftermarket warranty companies look super, but google any one of them and you come up with nightmare stories of them trying to get out of each and every claim.

OK, I'm exagerating a litte ;) but I may go with Subaru's warranty if I do any. Powertrain for 2 years/24000miles for $1100(for turbocharged) from http://www.yoursubaruwarranty.com (Exeter Subaru). I would just feel 100 percent better going through Subaru since the Subaru dealer does any of my work anyways and they know me pretty good. Not that Subaru themselves don't ever try to get out of something, but that's who I'd prefer.

For anyone looking into a Subaru warranty, ask your dealer if they'd match Exeter Subaru's price. You might be able to get it from your own local dealer for that price.

Reading the turbo failures thread has me worried. How often does the turbo go and take the engine with it? I can afford $2K for a new turbo, but not $7-8K for a whole new engine.

If the turbo goes then pay a garage the $1500 or less to fix it. Chances are it won't and the warranty company will get richer. Create your own warranty company, put the $1500 in a savings account for repairs. The likely case is that you will collect all or most of it at the end of your "warranty" period.

Also Fidelity may be long gone before your warranty expires. And good luck to your mechanic and you if you try to collect on an aftermarket warranty. Expect aggrevation and stall tactics.

My 2 cents. You can take a Fidelity warranty and use it for toilet paper. Fidelity warranty is owned by the JM Family group, the sole distributor of Toyota/Lexus vehicles in the southeastern US. Fidelity also has the exclusive contract with Hyundai and Kia for their extended warranty. Fidelity will do ANYTHING not to cover something. Any repair over $500.00 has to be inspected by an adjuster, tying your car up for days. They will specify used parts if they can. Run, as fast as you can from Fidelity.

My advice, stick with a Subaru warranty, OR, go to a Nissan dealer and buy a "Quality Guard" extended warranty. It's owned by Nissan, the coverage is tremendous, plus you can take it to any repair facility. Probably the best customer service contract company I have ever dealt with. No hassles with adjusters, they just pay.

Create your own warranty company, put the $1500 in a savings account for repairs. The likely case is that you will collect all or most of it at the end of your "warranty" period.

Excellent idea!!!

My 2 cents. You can take a Fidelity warranty and use it for toilet paper. Fidelity warranty is owned by the JM Family group, the sole distributor of Toyota/Lexus vehicles in the southeastern US. Fidelity also has the exclusive contract with Hyundai and Kia for their extended warranty. Fidelity will do ANYTHING not to cover something. Any repair over $500.00 has to be inspected by an adjuster, tying your car up for days. They will specify used parts if they can. Run, as fast as you can from Fidelity.

My advice, stick with a Subaru warranty, OR, go to a Nissan dealer and buy a "Quality Guard" extended warranty. It's owned by Nissan, the coverage is tremendous, plus you can take it to any repair facility. Probably the best customer service contract company I have ever dealt with. No hassles with adjusters, they just pay.

You hit the nail on the head.

Plus, Nissan Quality Guard also use adjusters but if it is a big repair. We are a Nissan/Kia/Subaru dealer and the best one is SAS. I don't have to make any calls for coverage or claims unless it is over a certain dollar amount just to inform them and they approve it as long as it is a covered repair which I already know otherwise, I wouldn't be calling them.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I got an exatended so im covered to 120k powertrain. To the people saying save the money and if it breaks then use the money you saved. WTF you pay 1500 for a warrenty and lets say your rings go thats over 3k, or how about the tranny common problems before 120k even more so since mines auto and thats over 4k. You could end up saving tons of money.

Concordville sells Subarus and Nissans, the service bays are on the Nissan side. Didn't mention anything about Quality Guard though.

Who is SAS? I Googled that and didn't find anything car related.

Subaru Added Security. That is Subaru's backed extended warranty through Subaru.

FWIW I purchased an extended warranty when I purchased mine I was at 61K and it was around 1700-1900 for the "Platinum coverage" highest available coverage.. and I believe it is a GM Family Group also.. My turbo went shortly after and they covered everything.. it helps to have a good mechanic or a trusted dealer handle the warranty company.. I would call around if you need warranty work and find a shop that doesn't mind dealing with them... I think the piece of mind that your car is covered and you won't have to pay for anything as long as you take the proper steps and make sure you are keeping your reciepts from work being done.. it turned out good for me...

Archived