LegacyGT.com

Because some of you need closure....

Here is a little help in figuring out what is what concerning exhaust components with this diagram for the WRX which is very similar: [img]http://www.mattrandolph.com/wrx/exhaust%2Dpicts/images/wrx-exhaust.jpg[/img] Supposedly as the good word on the street goes, the up-pipe (pipe between the manifold and turbocharger) is catless. No work needed there. Post that, many tuners will take the downpipe and midpipe (both catted pipes rear of the turbocharger in the diagram) and make that a single unit. Cobb, MRT, AVO, and APS (couple of sections for APS) are all excellent systems IMO that have very nicely laid out components with smooth design characteristics while still use a cat, high-flow cats might resrict 2-3hp at near 300hp levels, not worth the omission IMO. The cat-back replaces the two of four rear pipes. The Legacy mufflers are split in very much a similar location. Regardless of what some people say, I am still very interested in seeing what Cobb can do with the Accessport & Turboback per their Stage 2 level of tuning. Here is an example of what they have done with the STi per Stage 1 and 2. I haven't found their maps for the FXT yet. Should be very interesting! [img]http://www.cobbtuning.com/sti/images/ap-sti-stage1.gif[/img] [img]http://www.cobbtuning.com/sti/images/ap-sti-stage2.gif[/img] I will probably add STi Springs & Links to the suspension, StopTech Stainless Brake Lines with something like Carbotech Bobcat pads, and perhaps my Cobb Shoft-Throw with Cusco Bushings (that's if I don't decide to just put an STi unit in in call it good.) Rather basic in comparison to some, but surely no slouch. A second set of rubber and wheels will also be added as funding provides itself. :cool:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a plan, how often do we actually stick to the plan? :lol: As for brakes, I just have someone who is certified install them since it is technically a safety thing and the insurance company would s_ _ _ a brick if something went wrong. Covers your butt. Springs I might have done down at one of Gabe's install days in Baraboo, GLWagon from Nabisco. The rest I should be able to do. Thank goodness, no up-pipe change this time. :mrgreen: I'm also on the buy it as you can afford it plan though. Only major things right now are tires this fall when I burn up the RE92A's AutoXing. ;)

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']Yeah, I had some pretty grandios plans for the WRX, they fizzled after the uppipe, downpipe and springs.. ...someday, when I get some money man! :lol:[/quote] Money was a great reason why it went unmodded. :(

[quote name='coolbluelb']Regarding tires, I guess it depends on where you live. As I am in FL, I have no need or interest in a snow tire (although rain is important). I had Kumho Ecsta's and thought very highly of them for the price. I have similarly heard nothing but good reviews on the Falken Azenis.[/quote] I'm in south Texas... same kind of weather. Hot, hotter, and summer time. When it rains we usually have flash flooding...otherwise it's dry. I think it has snowed twice in the history of San Antonio. Both times the whole town shut down. :lol: Any other recommendations on tires? I'll probably stick with stock rims for now. Any benefits on going with larger rims... other than bling?

[quote name='SUBE555']It's a plan, how often do we actually stick to the plan? :lol: As for brakes, I just have someone who is certified install them since it is technically a safety thing and the insurance company would s_ _ _ a brick if something went wrong. Covers your butt. Springs I might have done down at one of Gabe's install days in Baraboo, GLWagon from Nabisco. The rest I should be able to do. Thank goodness, no up-pipe change this time. :mrgreen: I'm also on the buy it as you can afford it plan though. Only major things right now are tires this fall when I burn up the RE92A's AutoXing. ;)[/quote] I am suprised that I didn't meet you at GLwagons.. He helped me install all my stuff on my WRX. Very cool guy!

I haven't actually been to Gabe's place yet, been to both of the Lizards though, which Gabe partook in. Once I get a chance, I'll stop in for one of the install-days. I'd love to have one up here at our place as there is tons of room, just have LOTS of stuff to do before that would even be possible though. We'll definitely have to have a Leggy meet this fall once more people get their Legs. I've got to meet Kevin! :D

[quote name='brady_bunch']I'm in south Texas... same kind of weather. Hot, hotter, and summer time. When it rains we usually have flash flooding...otherwise it's dry. I think it has snowed twice in the history of San Antonio. Both times the whole town shut down. :lol: Any other recommendations on tires? I'll probably stick with stock rims for now. Any benefits on going with larger rims... other than bling?[/quote] You can get away with summer tires all year long. I have, and I live further south than you do! Just make sure to have decent wet traction. :idea:

There is an advantage to larger rims for handling (to a certain extent). The larger rims will take a tire with a smaller sidewall and should create a better handling dynamic. if you go too big (19s and above) then you will be wasting your money and the performance in a straight line. You need to find out what you like and what you want, then find a rim and tire that will compliment that. Anything over 18" is a complete waste in my opinion. Many will say that anything over 17" for a street car is more for cosmetics than anything else.

[quote name='SUBE555']Some guy my dad works with spent like $7k on some big spinners and tires for them for his Escalade! :o That's crazy.[/quote] The height of stupidity. I shake my head everytime I pass a SUV with big dumb shiny wheels.

I'm not going to disagree with you one bit. I can get a whole load of tires/wheels for every conceivable use, AutoX, Road Race, Street Summer, Winter, etc and still have money left over! Heck, my car would be done with modding for that kind of bling. Is bling an oxymoron here? :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
I think Dr. Zevil would like to know I gave Matt a call to get things rolling on my end and the car should be in within the 1st 10 days of July. :) I asked about upgrading tires too and he's going to see what the trade-off cost would be for them to keep the new RE92s and what they could get the PZero Nero M&S and the Toyo Proxes 4's for. He'll give me a call back concerning that. Just a heads up. Forgot to ask about yours (I'd imagine the same truck.)

[quote name='SUBE555']I think Dr. Zevil would like to know I gave Matt a call to get things rolling on my end and the car should be in within the 1st 10 days of July. :) I asked about upgrading tires too and he's going to see what the trade-off cost would be for them to keep the new RE92s and what they could get the PZero Nero M&S and the Toyo Proxes 4's for. He'll give me a call back concerning that. Just a heads up. Forgot to ask about yours (I'd imagine the same truck.)[/quote] Wow, That would be awesome to get some new tires right away! I should call and ask him about that. I can't wait to get my car. I am pumped. That reminds me that I have to make my final car payment today. Nothing like paying of one car and getting into another right away. Let me know what he has to say about the pricing on the tires. I would love to let them keep those RE-92s. I can't believe that it's happening this quickly. I can't wait. I need to call Matt this week.

[quote name='SUBE555']I asked about upgrading tires too and he's going to see what the trade-off cost would be for them to keep the new RE92s and what they could get the PZero Nero M&S and the Toyo Proxes 4's for. He'll give me a call back concerning that.[/quote] Let me know what you find out on that. My local dealer said they couldn't do anything about swapping out tires. I would have to buy the tires outright and have them installed. I would get to keep the RE92s but for what, I don't know... eBay maybe? :)

I was told they do tend to keep some extra tires in stock and as mine would be one of the first ones out, might give me a fair price for them. That's what Jeff from Eau Claire told me. I told Matt I'd have tires sent his way, but he said he'd see what he could come up with, if he couldn't get as good as I desired, I'd just buy and ship a set there. He's going WAY above and beyond the call of duty! Matt is the man! Anyone in Wisconsin/Minnesota sure better be buying from them! I can check for you if you want Ross. I know I can get the Toyo's for about $90/tire with about $45 total in shipping, so it's right around $400 shipped. I'll see what he comes to, I know I can find the Nero M&S's in a similar range.

Archived