LegacyGT.com

Legacy Wagon versus outback, differences?

I am new to Subaru, but I am going to buy either a 2005 Legacy GT wagon or a 05-07 outback XT. I know I want a manual transmission and the turbo (which I belive is 05 only for the Legacy Wagon) .

Other than the ride height is there any difference in thes cars? Specifically is the interior any different on the Legacy?

Thanks for the help, this will be my fist Subaru when I buy it (and actually my first foreign car all together).

I could be wrong, but I think the rear differentials are different and different final drive ratios (again, could be wrong). I also thought the suspensions and associated parts were beefier.

I'd be curious to here a more substantial answer on this, as I've thought about an Outback.

I could be wrong, but I think the rear differentials are different and different final drive ratios (again, could be wrong). I also thought the suspensions and associated parts were beefier.

I'd be curious to here a more substantial answer on this, as I've thought about an Outback.

Yes, except, i'm not sure about beefier.

The outback has tiny brakes. The legacy doesn't.

The legacy has better and more aftermarket suspension options.

Fender flares look sweet though.

I thought the Outback had a typical treatment to vehicles that do more off-roading such as heavier duty hubs & struts and maybe more rugged Axles/CV joints. This is pure assumption on my part....i simply thought it was built to take more beating off-road than the Legacy.

I couldn't find anything one way or another on a quick google search, so feel free to edmucate me.

Joe

Outback has different suspension(only one aftermarket kit im aware of megan racing)

smaller brakes same as a Legacy 2.5i (can pick up stock LGT calipers and rotors and then be all set)

different fog lights

fender flairs

different rear bumper cover(makes it harder to get after market exhaust)

Heated seats in cloth models with the XT(xt = turbo)

Auto climate control comes with the cloth XT's as well

I dont think there are any other differences, major ones...im pretty sure the stock LGT has a Limited Slip rear and im not sure the XT does(if someone knows, tell me!) or doesn't

I like the outback, but the LGT would have been more up my alley, but once i do brakes, suspension, wheels and stage 2 my car will basically be a LGT wagon with fender flares

Heated seats in cloth models with the XT(xt = turbo)

Auto climate control comes with the cloth XT's as well

Cloth GT has these too.

The XT has a RLSD as does the GT.

Cloth GT has these too.

The XT has a RLSD as does the GT.

I stand corrected

:)

thanks for the update, my rear lsd had rear inner wheel hop when accelerating hard out of a corner, im chalking it up to soft suspension

I stand corrected

:)

thanks for the update, my rear lsd had rear inner wheel hop when accelerating hard out of a corner, im chalking it up to soft suspension

VLSDs aren't that fast.

Spec Bs got a torsen RLSD which is better, but the lack of a wagon option makes them suck.

Actually the outback has the same breaks to match every trim level of the legacy, 2.5is are the same xt brakes are the same as GTs and 3.0r's are the same. So actually the brakes are the same.

Second, the legacy and outback have only 2 suspension differences, spring and shock. Any legacy suspension can be placed on an outback wagon, all you need to do is swap the bump stops.

All legacy suspensions fit outbacks. Also outbacks suspension is only beefed up by ride height and suspension travel other wise its the same as a legacy.

Legacys wagon or outback, either one is a great car but I do agree the fender flares are nice, makes a bigger tire with a diffrent offset possible, I put 18's on mine and they look great, on a legacy they'd stick out beyond the fender.

Actually the outback has the same breaks to match every trim level of the legacy, 2.5is are the same xt brakes are the same as GTs and 3.0r's are the same. So actually the brakes are the same.

This is inaccurate.

The LGT (Maybe 3.0R as well, I don't know) has a large front rotor with a large (for 2 pots) 2 pot caliper. It will not clear anything smaller than a 17 inch wheel.

The 2.5i and Xt use an 11.5in front disk and a 10.6 rear disc

The LGT uses a 12.3 inch front and a 11.3in rear disc

The actual front caliper is different as well, I don't know if the rear is.

This is inaccurate.

The LGT (Maybe 3.0R as well, I don't know) has a large front rotor with a large (for 2 pots) 2 pot caliper. It will not clear anything smaller than a 17 inch wheel.

The 2.5i and Xt use an 11.5in front disk and a 10.6 rear disc

The LGT uses a 12.3 inch front and a 11.3in rear disc

The actual front caliper is different as well, I don't know if the rear is.

My 2.5i has 2 pot front calipers although they where smaller and my new 3.0R has the larger 12.3 front brakes.

So basically the LGT and 3.0 R's are the only cars with larger brakes. But the person who originally stated Outbacks have smaller brakes was still incorrect. The only situation they are smaller is if your comparing a Legacy Gt to the 2.5i or XT,the 2.5i legacy and outback share the same brakes as do the 3.0 R legacy and outbacks.

I know its hard for you all to believe but subaru does make other models then the GT legacys.

Adidas -- research, then post.

OBXT has smaller brakes than the lighter LGT. The OBXT rears are solid.

OBXT has different gearing, but the final drive is the same due to larger tires

OBXT has 3" higher suspension, and Legacy suspensions will bolt on, but the geometry will change as will the ride height. The OBXT also has body spacers to get some of that extra height

OBXT has different exterior trim pieces

Interior is identical except for color options and it says "outback" instead of "Legacy" in the dash

Those are the major differences. The drivetrain is identical except for the exhaust termination. The OBXT exhaust tips point down instead of poking through the bumper. A muffler shop should easily be able to mod a LGT exhaust to fit an OBXT

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Real world implications:

I can think of 2 or 3 times my Legacy GT has been stopped by snow due to ground clearance issues. Each time I'm pretty sure an Outback XT would have been able to get through.

We have a huge Yakima storage box on the roof and have had no clearance issues in parking garages. The extra height on the Outback may make for some closer calls. As an aside if you're going to be mounting anything on the roof, the Outback's roof rails and crossbars are more convenient than 3rd party system.

Lots of comments on suspension and brakes above: any documented implications on handling, braking distance, etc.

i can tell you after changing my brakes that the front calipers are 2 pot but still smaller than the LGT.

The Outback XT uses WRX calipers up front. I have a set of RaceBrake cross drilled and slotted WRX rotors and Hawk pads to install soon. I'll post pictures when they are on, RaceBrake is 10 minutes from me and are certain these will work and if not wanted me to stop by to show them any problems. http://www.racingbrake.com/OUTBACK_FRONT_01_09_p/9004-141-1671.htm

Wow, thanks for all the responses!

One follow up question; since the LGT suspension "bolts on" does that mean if I put an LGT suspension on an outback it will have a ride height like a LGT and handle like an LGT (essentially make it an LGT with smaller brakes and fender flares)? Or does that just mean it will be screwed up?

One of the things I prefer about the LGT is the lower ride height.

You can go about 1-1.5" lower without majorly screwing things up.

The only way to use a legacy suspension on an outback would be to remove all the body spacers and get legacy bumpstops. But then why would you buy an outback?

If you like the look of an outback but want the ride of a legacy, your best bet would be to get a Legacy and then add the OB body kit.

I track my OBXT and I can keep up with other LGT's on the track no problem....especially ones that aren't modded. They're toast. Being able to use a much wider tire on the OB without modding the suspenion or wheel wells is nice to. I run a 245/45-18 for summers and it's quite a big contact patch.

Edit: about roof racks. The OB has a more useable roof rack system. And you're not gonna have problems ith parking garages as someone mentioned. Even with a cargo box, the clearence is still less than most SUV's.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived