LegacyGT.com

5eat tranny flush

robert

No way the tranny takes 16 quarts. It's either 9.6 or 10. I think you pay for 16 quarts because that's how much the flushing machine needs for a flush. Draining it you replace about 4.5 - 5 quarts. If you ask me, you're probably better off doing 3 drains back to back. Do a drain, drive it a few miles, repeat. My dealer wanted $130 IIRC.

No way the tranny takes 16 quarts. It's either 9.6 or 10. I think you pay for 16 quarts because that's how much the flushing machine needs for a flush. Draining it you replace about 4.5 - 5 quarts. If you ask me, you're probably better off doing 3 drains back to back. Do a drain, drive it a few miles, repeat. My dealer wanted $130 IIRC.

4EAT takes 10. that how i flushed mine, 4 qts at a time. drain 4 and drive and then drain 4 and drive and drain 4 and drive. then drain 4 and replace it every 50k or so.

• 2 years later...

OK, so I have been reading so many posts my head is starting to spin...:spin:

On my 2008 2.5i AT (30K), I am swapping the diff fluids (going to try the WalMart Super Tech on both) and also bought 4 quarts of the Soobi ATF HP. My question is, is it even beneficial to drain and refill just 4 quarts in the AT? Or should I just wait till about 60K and do a more complete fluid exchange to get the whole 10 quarts swapped out? And, if I do just go with a drain and fill, can I get the same net effect by simply draining from the drain plug as pulling off the entire pan? Really don't want to pull the pan unless it's a superior method...

Also, I was talking to my Tech, and he stated (as well as stated in the manual) that the external AT filter is a 'maintenance free' filter and really never needs to be changed unless showing rust or other damage. Thoughts??

Thanks!!!!!

On an Impreza 2.5i 4AT, I got 9 quarts to come out of the transmission. Actually had to go back to the store to get more fluid since I don't have that much on hand. I parked the car so the trans drain plug was pitched slightly downhill and it all poured out. Changed that car from factory fluid to Mobil 1 ATF.

On my OBXT 5EAT I can only get about five qts out at once. I use Amsoil universal synthetic ATF and just do the five qts every 25-30k miles. I change the filter every other ATF change. No transmission problems at 130k miles, lots of torque and an IPT VB mod.

Do it yourself and save money

From a thread of mine:

I also wouldn't do a power flush. I would do one of two things:

1)Do a drain and fill, drive ~500 miles, repeat, repeat. This will use around 10 quarts and will effectively replace around 2/3 of your original fluid.

2)Disconnect the trans cooler output line and feed into a bucket. Start car and allow 3-4 quarts to drain into bucket, then shut off and replace same amount with fresh fluid into the dipstick. Repeat this until 100% has been exchanged and is clean. This will essentially "flush" your trans without using the power flush that the horror stories come from. This method has been advocated by climberD, 5eat chief guru...

I change the external filter every 60k miles. Just because Subaru says it's maintenance free doesn't make it so. Oil filters have a finite lifespan and they're not that expensive to replace. Also, removing the filter will get more ATF out of the system.

Just reading through the manual, and it states to 'air bleed the control valve' when draining and refilling the tranny. For this you need the Subaru Select Monitor.

Per the manual:

When ATF is drained from the automatic transmission,

make sure to bleed air from the control

valve after filling with the specified amount of ATF.

Perform the procedures according to the message

displayed on the Subaru Select Monitor.

What is the deal with this bleeding process?? Dealership? Skip it?

Thanks

Archived