LegacyGT.com

Bimmer AWD vs Subie AWD

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The jb is such an inexpensive mod for the power can't really beat it then again the 335 comes with twin turbos from the factory and that is pretty awsome as well. OP although I do like "certain" bmw's one mainly being the 335xi I believe that the LGT is suited better for real winter conditions. Eventually I want to keep my lgt for winter car and get a E46 m3 and put on a HPF stage 2.5 turbo kit but then again that wont be for a while :)

As far as I know BMW X drive system was kind of stolen from land rover while they owned them. Its done via constant power split front and rear 50/50 in a land rover, and on the 335x I was told by the bmw tech its 40/60 or in some aggressive cases 30/70. It all done braking individual wheels and then shifting power front or where via the X fer case. I have a discovery with the system and it works quite well.

The Range Rover works amazingly well with the set up with individual wheel breaking and doesn't require alot if any slip to engage the other wheel across from it, sence power is already going to the right area. Also the cars dont have one of those useless POS halidex couplings, so I must say the BMW X drive derived from Land Rover 4wd is an exellent system.

I dont know how or which model of subie AWD where comparing but the AWD in the 3.0R seems to operate the same way as X drive, however the responce seems to be a bit quicker in the power shift sence it doesnt have to pass through a transfer box, from the trany because the power is there being xfered right in the tranny. The 2.5i I used to have seemed like it didnt use any sort of Traction controlled based system but more like the cars constantly sits in awd mode so all for wheels have power so no need to shift any. I dont know if any one understand what I just said but I hope so.

Needless to say BMW x drive should be just as good Subie AWD depending on the varient.

The jb is such an inexpensive mod for the power can't really beat it then again the 335 comes with twin turbos from the factory and that is pretty awsome as well. OP although I do like "certain" bmw's one mainly being the 335xi I believe that the LGT is suited better for real winter conditions. Eventually I want to keep my lgt for winter car and get a E46 m3 and put on a HPF stage 2.5 turbo kit but then again that wont be for a while :)

LOL my buddy has a 325is that he has just bought a horsepower freaks stage 2 turbo setup for it. Should churn out around 500 crank hp.

Watch the video where the guy shows his dad his stage 3 m3(which is a 600-650rwhp package) its hilarious, constent swearing from the dad

^^ I've seen that video way to many times to count, it's one of the funniest car videos i've ever seen. if you havent seen it it's a must.:whore: to your friend with the HPF kit thats pure awsomeness

^^ I've seen that video way to many times to count, it's one of the funniest car videos i've ever seen. if you havent seen it it's a must.:whore: to your friend with the HPF kit thats pure awsomeness

linky?

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

the bimmer looks cavemanish and slow... responds poorly in the snow .

I had an 03 335xi and it was alright in the snow with good winter tires .. that is until i traded it in for my 05 legacy gt now that ive driven good awd there is no going back... audi and subaru are number one

the bimmer looks cavemanish and slow... responds poorly in the snow .

I had an 03 335xi and it was alright in the snow with good winter tires .. that is until i traded it in for my 05 legacy gt now that ive driven good awd there is no going back... audi and subaru are number one

No you didn't.... the 335Xi didn't exist in 2003.

Good catch RJS! I actually owned (er leased) a 03 330i and a 06 330i. I had planned on getting an 09 335i, but this darn economy brought me my Legacy SE 2.5. I drove several other "affordable" cars and found that the Subie had the most soul, like my past BMW's. I am quite pleased with my new Subie when compared against my 330i.

I do miss the power off the light or on to a highway ramp. And also, the BMW brakes are just awesome. I really enjoyed driving the 330i in the snow (with winter tires only though!) and I am hoping to see how much fun the Legacy is in the snow...although I may have to wait til next winter.

vduber - I know the owner of Horsepower Freaks. Definitely get that car! Chris is a great guy, and they did their build and design the right way - real engineering, testing, re-engineering, etc. Chris drives one of the more extreme HPF m3s, and it is insane, but looks and sounds almost stock when driving around the neighborhood. It might not look as stock now - he had to get custom bodywork done to fit the kind of tires he needs to hook up at over 800 rwhp...:eek:

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

vduber - I know the owner of Horsepower Freaks. Definitely get that car! Chris is a great guy, and they did their build and design the right way - real engineering, testing, re-engineering, etc. Chris drives one of the more extreme HPF m3s, and it is insane, but looks and sounds almost stock when driving around the neighborhood. It might not look as stock now - he had to get custom bodywork done to fit the kind of tires he needs to hook up at over 800 rwhp...:eek:

tHey do great work, but like any custo msetup on a high end car its pricey, parts for there stage 3 kit is 32,000 for just the parts. Sure it yields 750-800whp with 91 octane and race gas with meth is over 1,000rwhp but its damn pricey.

^^ Thats awsome that you know the owner of hpf, but is his m3 the white widebody thats in all the advertisements? Just wondering and yes whenever you see him tell him that us in the subbie community give the utmost respect to owners such as him for building kits in such quality and performance. Yes it is expensive but you get what you pay for and when time comes that I can aford one be sure i'll be driving the subbie in the snow but the m3 in the summer :)

Yep, the white one is Chris'. I'm glad this thread came up, I hadn't checked in on the progress of his m3 in a while. Wow, the body kit Asuka did for him is amazing. Still pretty subdued, but there's no mistaking it for a stock M3 anymore! And I think that rubber will help him hook up with the road - 19x10 front and 19x13 in back. Very nice.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Sweet mother jesus those are large tires :), seen all the videos and my favorite is when the smg laguna seca blue m3 gets sideways and the camera man dosen't expect it, all you hear is "lets try that on the bigger road we were on before" :lol:. It accelerates so fast that it bounces off the rev limter a few time before it shifts which is like I said in one of my previous posts pure awsomeness!

They have similar performance in the snow although the Legacy gives you more direct feel and control. The bimmer drivetrain is solid though, not like Subarus which always feel like they're missing a drive train mount or two.

Archived