LegacyGT.com

Need advice, Toyota MR2

You should man up and get one then :lol:

The only thing stopping me is monetary prudence. A toy car is pretty low on the priority list for economic survival right now... :D

Maybe once my house is paid off in a couple years...

It would be no fun to push the budget so far to get the car, and not be able to afford to do anything at all with it, and further harm the car fund for supporting the maintenance on the cars I have already. Once the mortgage payment and the last vestiges of an old student loan, that will free up a lot of "playin' around" money.

Maybe by that point, if SW20 MR2s are getting a tad too old... maybe a mid-90s NSX will be affordable, which would be a marked upgrade. MR2s were very good at ~$25k new, NSXs were fantastic cars, and cost accordingly, over $60K new. But some of them can be had in pretty good shape now for less than $30k. Similarly Porsche Caymans and 996 and 997 Carrera 4Ss will be more affordable, too.

If I have to wait, at least I can dream a bit... :D

^I hated those kids....still do! I drove a mini van to hs.

Anyways, OP I say go for it if you are looking for a car to work on and just mess around with. If something breaks, you have your neighbor to help you work on it. I've been eying a cheap Porsche 944 to work on and auto-x. If I had the funds for the 944 AND grad school, today I'd be a Porsche owner. lol

Archived